Get Even by Gretchen McNeil

Well my initial thoughts are, that was just pretty silly. Secondly, it has a too strikingly familiarity to Jenny Han's Burn for Burn and Pretty Little Liars, both of which were much better written, in my opinion.
I realize that this is a young adult book and I am not exactly a young adult, however this one at times smacked more like a book for 12 and 13 year olds, the dialogue at times, made me cringe. And the overuse of dude or some form of douche had the same effect.
The premise of the story was great and had such potential. Four girls who don't seem to know each other, other than being in the same school set out to even the playing field. Those who have wronged, bullied, whatever, will get the same back. Too bad Jenny Han already did that first. We all have that need or dream to wish some form of revenge on those that have wronged us, but the DGM spent more time talking about revenge than actually putting it into action. When you get right down to it, there was all of one act of retribution, a pretty lame one, the second was halted. And now what happens to that video with Mika? Do we really think that erasing a hard drive solved it all? That no one else has seen or has copies? And the mysterious envelopes is right out of Pretty Little Liars, I almost expected them to be signed by A.
The whole thing just seemed really unrealistic, same with some of the people. The four were typical; your minority, your girl from the wrong side of the tracks, your outcast, and your rebellious poor little rich girl. The beginning bunch of pages were confusing and frustrating as there were so many characters to get straight. By the time I got the characters straight I didn't care any more and just wanted it to end. And the coach? What was his deal? Who acts like that? And Father Uberti? He just seemed everything a priest shouldn't be. I don't know a lot of priests that would yell "what the hell" to a bunch of students.
I kept wanting to stop reading it, it's a pretty quick read, and I hate not finishing a book but I found it torturous . I should have gone with my instincts.
And I have to say, I hate books that just end with no conclusion. I have many books that I have loved that are part of a series but the endings aren't like watching a tv show where you have to watch the next one to find out the answers. That is why I stopped reading the Pretty Little Liar series, it's like the song that never ends. Sadly I had already purchased the second one in the series before I had read this one, I think it will likely gather dust. ( )
  maggie1961 | Sep 11, 2015 |
I expected this to be a cute little predictable YA mystery but it is SO MUCH MORE! A suspenseful and truly unique mystery thriller. There is never really any resolution at the end of Get Even and it just leaves off with a huge cliff hanger, which I love! Very excited for the next book in the series and can't wait to uncover more of the mystery! ( )
  MirandaR18 | Apr 4, 2015 |
This book was even better than I thought it would be! I was feverishly turning pages trying to solve the mystery and eventually ran out of pages. Now, I'm anxiously anticipating the release of Get Dirty ( )
1 vote cwhisenant11 | Oct 28, 2014 |
BE WARNED! My first reaction upon finishing GET EVEN was "It can't end there!" I got totally sucked into the story of four girls from various backgrounds and with various interests who band together to get revenge for the bullying activities that are going on at the Catholic high school.

Kitty is a the volleyball captain and a student leader. She is also the only Asian at her school who isn't good at math and science. Olivia is the scholarship student from a broken home who is an incredible actress. Bree is a State Senator's daughter who is a school rebel. Margot is the quiet one who is scarred from a junior high suicide attempt caused by bullying. These girls all have their own reasons and their own secrets as they form DGM - Don't Get Mad, Get Even.

The new school year begins with a DGM prank. They insert video of bullying Coach Richard Creed into the beginning assembly which completely humiliates him and makes him an object of ridicule among the studhet body. This just makes him more determined to find out who DGM is and see that they are expelled form school. When they catch sight of a video made by a new student exploiting a friend of one of the girls, they make Ronnie DeStefano their next target. Only someone else has targeted Ronnie too. When Ronnie is found battered to death with a DGM card by his body, the girls know that they have to find the killer before DGM gets blamed.

There are so many possible suspects including Bree's best friend John, Margot's new and first boyfriend Logan, and the bullying coach Richard Creed who is taken out of the running when he is found murdered too. Then there is the mysterious Christopher Beeman who is connected to Bree, Coach Creed and Ronnie DeStefanto. Or maybe it is the school female bully Amber and her boyfriend Rex who are the murderers.

This was a great mystery. The tension was high. The four girls - who really don't know each other well - go through periods when they suspect each other, too. The ending goes beyond cliffhanger. I need a sequel to this book now. It will be fun debating with my students about who the killer really is. ( )
  kmartin802 | Aug 4, 2014 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Amazing mystery novel filled with suspense, drama, and engaging characters. All fans of Pretty Little Liars, both the books and the TV show, will love this great new series!

Opening Sentence: BREE SAT BACK AGAINST THE CHAIN-LINK FENCE, BOUNCING her tennis racket lightly against the toe of her black Converse. “

The Review:

Bishop Dumaine high school has a serious bully problem. The headmaster turns a blind eye because all he cares about is the reputation the school has for being good at sports and academics. This has forced the students to do something about the problem. A group of four girls take it upon themselves to enforce punishment upon those that have wronged other people. Margot Mejia, Kitty Wei, Olivia Hayes, and Bree Deringer decided to form a secret group known as DGM or Don’t Get Mad. On the outside the four girls couldn’t be more different, so no one would suspect them being part of a highly illegal group that is out for revenge.

Their pranks are never violent and the victims always have it coming. But then all the sudden their next target shows up dead and their group is implemented in the murder. It also looks like their secret is out as well because someone is passing along mysterious manila envelopes to each girl. As secrets start to come out the girls begin to doubt each other and their tender alliance falls apart. But the girls are going to have to band together if they want to find the true murderer.

Margot is the super smart girl that takes all the AP classes and plans on going to an Ivy League college. She is a very shy girl and has always been awkward in social situations. Out of all the characters I thought Margot was probably the most interesting to get to know. Throughout the story you get to watch her step outside of her comfort zone and see her actually start to act like a normal teenager. It made her easier to connect with because you get to experience so many first’s with her. She also has a sad past and has had first hand experiences with bullying. This made me feel really sympathetic towards her and made me like her even more.

Kitty is the athletic one. She is the captain of the varsity volleyball team that just recently won the state championship, and she has been offered scholarships from colleges all over the country. Kitty is a born leader. Not only is she the captain of the volley team she is also the leader of DGM. Obviously she is very confident in certain aspects of her life, but in others she is actually very shy. She doesn’t have much experience when it comes to boys and I loved that we got to watch her stumble through her first real date. She also struggles academically. I liked Kitty, she was a strong character and fun to get to know.

Olivia is the super popular one of the group. She is drop dead gorgeous and really big into acting. She is actually the nicest one out of all the girls. She is always trying to lift other people and she wants to be friends with everyone. But at the same time she has a hard time with conflict and standing up to people. She is one of the few students at Bishop Dumaine that doesn’t have wealthy parents. I liked that she doesn’t have a bitter attitude about her situation and it made me respect her more. While I liked Olivia I didn’t feel a huge connection to her character, but I am hoping that will be remedied in the next book.

Last we have Bree who happens to be my favorite character of all the girls. She is the social misfit that always likes to cause problems. She has a rich daddy that’s never around and some serious insecurities, but that just made me love her more. She has such a free spirit and is a little rough around the edges. She grew up with money so material Things mean very little to her but the relationships she has developed with the few people she lets into her life mean the world to her. At times she can be pretty oblivious to what’s going on right in front of her face, but that just made her more human to me. Out of all the girls, I felt that she had the least to make up for in her past and it made her reasons for joining DGM more sincere. I’m not going to talk about all the love interests for each girl because that would take too long but Bree’s boy by far was my favorite. I’m not going to lie, that made me more eager to read her parts of the story.

Get Even was a fantastic mystery full of suspense, drama, and engaging characters. Each girl is so unique and even though the book altered between each character I always knew exactly whose mind I was in. They are all so different, but they each added their own personal twist to the story. McNeil does a wonderful job drawing you into the story at the very beginning and she keeps you intrigued up to the last page. I am not going to lie to you, the ending leaves you dying to get your hands on the next book. McNeil’s writing was very engaging and she really knows how to make you sit on the edge of your seat in anticipation for what’s going to happen next. I would highly recommend this book to anyone that is a fan of Pretty Little Liars, it was similar in a lot of ways but also its own original story. If you are a fan of young adult mysteries you need to pick this one up.

Notable Scene:

Bree stared at her for a moment, then without a word, she thrust her arm forward.

“I, Bree Deringer, do solemnly swear, no secrets—ever—shall leave this square.”

The square was complete, everyone was in agreement about the plan, but Kitty still looked each of them in the eye, just to make sure. She didn’t see a hint of doubt in anyone.

“Ronny’s a predator,” she said. “And we can stop him from hurting someone else.” Kitty thrust out her chin.

“Don’t get mad!”

All three girls answered in strong, solid unison.

“Get even!”

FTC Advisory: Harper Teen provided me with a copy of Get Even. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Jul 12, 2014 |

Bree Deringer, Olivia Hayes, Kity Wei, and Margot Me Jia have nothing in common, At least that's what they'd like the students and administrators of their elite private school to think. The girls have different goals, different friends, and different lives, but they share one very big secret: They're all members of Don't Get Mad, a secret society that anonymously takes revenge on the school's bullies, mean girls, and tyrannical teachers.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,302,591 books! | Top bar: Always visible