The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler

The Book of Broken Hearts (edition 2013)

by Sarah Ockler

191891,713 (4.04)1
Member:BookConfessions
Title:The Book of Broken Hearts
Authors:Sarah Ockler
Info:Simon Pulse (2013), Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler

Loved all of the Friday Night Lights references! Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose ( )
  xholocene | Jun 25, 2017 |
So I think its safe to say I loved this book, I could not put it down. It had such raw emotion in it that I felt myself close to tears a good handful of times and I almost never cry at a book any more. The characters and the written were some of the strongest I have read in a long, the story line. Oh god the storyline. I just cant.

As the description states, Jude Hernandez must never date a Vargas boy, no exceptions. The exact words she took in the vow is

I, Jude Hernadez, vow to never, ever, under any circumstances within or outside of my control, even if the fate of humanity is at stake, even if my own life is threatened, get involved with a Vargas

The oldest Hernadez sister Lourdes was hurt by Miguel Vargas at their prom, Celi was engaged to married to Johnny Vargas, but that never happened and Mari was hurt by Jack Ramirez, a cousin of theirs and thus The Book Of Broken hearts was created. And even though Jude knows deep down in hear hear that she should stay away, when Emilio Vargas is the only one available to help her restore her fathers motorbike she jumps at the opportunity. Because there's one thing you should know, early-onset Alzheimer's disease and Jude believes restoration of the bike, the very one he rode across country with, would be enough to help him hold on to his memories.

Keeping Emilio a secret at first seems easy enough, until her older sister Mari comes to stay and then things start to get complicated. Because even though she started of wit the same detest and hatred as her sisters, she's slowly come to see that many she shouldn't have been so quick to judge him. He isn't his brothers just as much as she isn't her sisters.

Like I already said, I loved this book. It was well written and thought out, had enough heartache to make you get emotional attached but also had laughter and comedy to lift your spirits. It was such a beautiful book, and Jude's character was just so strong. I loved the banter between Emilio and Jude, I loved the tender moments, I loved the sad moments. I just in turn loved this book. It reminded me so much of a Sarah Dessen book (which made me love it more) and I'm so pleased I read it. ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
Sarah's writing is lovely, vivid, and altogether real. You *get* Jude from the first two paragraphs:

"The law of probability dictates that with three older sisters, a girl shall inherit at least one pair of cute shorts that actually fit. Agreed?

Bzzz! Thank you for playing! Please try again."

From that first glimpse into her thoughts, Jude is funny, smart, torn, and loving. Her family and situation is unique and always unexpected, and her journey to rebuild the vintage bike whose discovery brought a spark to the eye of her beloved father with Alzheimers is in turns heartwarming and heartbreaking. Full of humor and tension. And Emilio, the boy she's not supposed to love? HEL-LO.

Loved this book! ( )
  MABoone | Jul 10, 2014 |

Bzzz! Thank you for playing! Please try again."

Loved this book! ( )
  MABoone | Jul 10, 2014 |
This novel was powerful and well-written, however, the book didn't stand out from all the other contemporaries. I will try some more Sarah Ockler, as this book did have some good parts and I have heard so much praise.

The tragic part was the father's case of Alzheimer's. This frequently left me in tears. We see how the illness effects the family. I felt like the reactions from family and friends Papi's condition were very realistic, and the father's episodes were heartbreaking and real. Please note that, in my opinion, the disease was the most impressive part of The Book of Broken Hearts, along with the diversity of the characters!

The romance aspect was sweet, but not very developed in my opinion. Also, I had very conflicting feelings about Jude. I enjoyed the character growth, however, the ending just didn't do it for me. It seemed a little too... macho I guess. Kind of overdone. Don't get me wrong, it is a beautifully written ending, just not realistic for me. Also, there was a lot of other things I wanted to know that weren't mentioned or concluded well.

I really don't know what my problem was besides those little complaints, the book just plain didn't leave an impression on me. At all, really. Do you know that read that you know a lot of people will like, and that something is wrong with you because your mind keeps straying? Yeah, that was The Book of Broken Hearts to me.

Overall, this book had factors I liked... and factors I didn't. The Papi's Alzheimer's tore at my heart, and I loved the character diversity yet the romance and ending were very "meh". I would recommend this novel to big-time contemporary fans.

3.5/5 stars... I am not sure if I should round up or down... *sigh* ( )
  Emily_Anne | Mar 16, 2014 |

"Jude has learned a lot from her older sisters, but the most important thing is this: The Vargas brothers are notorious heartbreakers. But as Jude begins to fall for Emilio Vargas, she begins to wonder if her sisters were wrong"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,167,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible