Another Little Piece by Kate Karyus Quinn

Another Little Piece

by Kate Karyus Quinn

2492046,085 (3.3)None

*I received this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion.*

If you've read my review of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, you'll know that "wtfery" was a pretty big term in that review. This is one will be about the same. There is tons of wtfery afoot.

Quinn has come up with such a unique story line. You follow Annaliese in trying to figure out who, or what, she is. The memories often come on at inopportune times, and leave her with more questions. I enjoyed being able to try to solve the puzzle that Annaliese is. Just when I thought I had everything figured out, I was completely blind-sided. There are also moments that leave you thinking "wtf." But not in a bad way, just in an did that seriously just happen sort of way.

The characters in the book are complex. They each have desires and wants, but are also battling their own demons. There's a reason for everything that has happened, even if we don't know what it is yet.

Sorry this review is so short, but you can't really go into detail with anything without spoiling part of the story. It was a great, creepy read. I can't wait to see what else this author has to offer us.

BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
The synopsis for Another Little Piece sounds a lot like a typical woman in peril story, featuring a misogynistic kidnapper/rapist/murderer, or perhaps a sinister cult. And when we first meet Annaliese, wandering through a field, dazed, disoriented, and with no memory of the past year (or the sixteen before it), clad in a garbage bag, it sure looks as though the plot will bend this way. But things get really weird, really fast, as Quinn injects an unexpected supernatural element into Annaliese's story. The result is an odd, sometimes disjointed, very creepy tale that kept me glued to my Kindle.

Quinn's prose is both lovely and eerie, and she does a masterful job of depicting and then deconstructing adolescence and the high school experience: slut shaming, unrequited love, alienation and ostracization, you name it. Quinn avoids stereotypes; all of her characters are filled with depth and nuance. I especially love Annaliese - the original as well as the reboot - or rather, how Quinn twists and transforms our perception of her as the story unfolds. (The real Annaliese? Kind of a tool.)

Annaliese and Dex are adorable; Franky is creepy as fuck; and I loved the "spitball poems" used to introduce each chapter. There's also a great sub-plot with Annaliese's best friend, Gwen.

I also enjoyed the many flashbacks, though the intros grew tiresome after awhile. The one memory that lacked a "fade in" had me confused for maybe two sentences, but I quickly caught on; ultimately, I preferred this style. The sense of disorientation, no matter how brief, complemented Annaliese's own bafflement and unreliability.

The final chapter, which is incongruously pleasant and upbeat, left me more than a little disappointed. It felt like a bit of a cop out.

http://www.easyvegan.info/2015/11/16/another-little-piece-by-kate-karyus-quinn/ ( )
  smiteme | Oct 14, 2015 |
Annaliese Rose Gordon has been missing for a year, the last time she was seen she was at a party, hysterical, screaming and covered in blood.

Now, months later she wakes up alone and confused, she has no memory of who she is, let alone where she's been for the past year or how she ended up hundreds of miles from her home, in the middle of nowhere.

It doesn't take long for the police to figure out her identity but that doesn't help with her amnesia. She keeps seeing flashes of a razor blade, visions of other girls who have gone missing and whispers of deathly promises.

Annaliese may not know who she truly is, but she does know, without a shadow of a doubt that she is not the real Annaliese.

This book was spooky. It gave me chills reading it and the only way I can describe it was that it was hauntingly beautiful.

I won't say more than that because you need to read this book and be fully emerged in Quinn's story to appreciate the spine tingling world she creates and the twisted characters that live in it.

Until next time,
Ginger ( )
  Ginger_reader22 | Nov 30, 2014 |
Do you ever just cringe at a book and slowly set it down as if it will attack you at harsher treatment? That summarises how I feel about this book. Big disappointment, I'm afraid. ( )
  Tarklovishki | Oct 31, 2014 |
I am not sure how to review this one. On one hand I liked the creepy aspects of the story, the gore, and the edge of my seat mystery. On the other hand I did not connect to any of the characters and found much of the book to be confusing. I hated the ending and didn't feel it matched the rest of the book. I can say that I feel this author has much potential and could be a wonderful horror writer. This book just didn't do it for me. ( )
  TFS93 | Jun 23, 2014 |

The spine-tingling horror of Stephen King meets an eerie mystery worthy of Sara Shepard's Pretty Little Liars series in Kate Karyus Quinn's haunting debut.

On a cool autumn night, Annaliese Rose Gordon stumbled out of the woods and into a high school party. She was screaming. Drenched in blood. Then she vanished.

A year later, Annaliese is found wandering down a road hundreds of miles away. She doesn't know who she is. She doesn't know how she got there. She only knows one thing: She is not the real Annaliese Rose Gordon.

Now Annaliese is haunted by strange visions and broken memories. Memories of a reckless, desperate wish . . . a bloody razor . . . and the faces of other girls who disappeared. Piece by piece, Annaliese's fractured memories come together to reveal a violent, endless cycle that she will never escape—unless she can unlock the twisted secrets of her past.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:34 -0400)

A year after vanishing from a party, screaming and drenched in blood, seventeen-year-old Annaliese Rose Gordon appears hundreds of miles from home with no memory, but a haunting certainty that she is actually another girl trapped in Annaliese's body.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,792,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible