The Son (Pulitzer Prize in Letters: Fiction…

The Son (Pulitzer Prize in Letters: Fiction Finalists) (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Philipp Meyer

1,136707,202 (4)99
Member:TheAlternativeOne
Title:The Son (Pulitzer Prize in Letters: Fiction Finalists)
Authors:Philipp Meyer
Info:Ecco (2013), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 576 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Western

The Son by Philipp Meyer (2013)

English (64)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All (70)
This long family saga set in Texas is primarily told from the point of view of three related characters of different generations. Unfortunately, I found the story of only one of the characters interesting and even that storyline sort of petered out. Eli McCullough is taken by the Comanche when he is 12 and lives with them until he is 16. I liked his description of life with his captors, who became his new family. His life after he returned to live with white people also had an interesting progression. In contrast, the lives of the other two protagonists had no progression at all and did not interest me very much. The story of Eli's son Peter is mostly about the murder of Mexicans by the white Texans who then stole their land. There was also Peter's affair with a Mexican woman, which probably wasn't a good idea for either of them. The chapters of the book dealing with Eli's great granddaughter were like episodes of Dallas - all money, politics and oil deals. Also there was a lot of whining about the problems of a woman in a man's world (which are hard to take seriously coming from someone enormously wealthy). I don't think the blurb does this book any favors by comparing it to the work of Larry McMurtry and Cormac McCarthy.

I'd had this book for a while but only decided to read it when I heard about the upcoming TV series based on the book. After listening to the audiobook, I'm still undecided about whether or not I want to watch the series. I can easily see it sinking in a morass of sex and violence. The audiobook had multiple narrators and I particularly liked the narration of the Eli chapters by Will Patton. ( )
  fhudnell | Mar 22, 2017 |
A brilliant sprawling tale of a Great American Family. The Eli sections - a more accessible, less gruesome Blood Meridian - are so good that they outshine the other two strands quite dramatically, but it's fun flicking back and forth in time to see quite how the formidable patriarch's reputation was formed. ( )
  alexrichman | Mar 14, 2017 |
Meyer's book is a sprawling family chronicle told through the eyes of four members of the McCullough family spanning from the 1830s to modern times. Only one of the characters, family patriarch Eli has a story that is compelling enough to keep me wanting more. Kidnapped as a boy and raised by Comanches, he later goes on to become a Texas Ranger and Confederate officer before starting his family empire. I liked his character so much that all others were pale caricatures by comparison. ( )
  Unkletom | Mar 3, 2017 |
ELI MC MCCULLOUGH WAS KIDNAPPED BY INDIANS IN THE EARLY 1800'S, AND WENT ON TO LIVE ALMOST A CENTURY. THIS IS HIS STORY AND THE STORY OF HIS DESCENDANTS TO THE PRESENT.
I RECOMMEND READING THE BOOK IN SECTIONS, ELI FIRST THEN THE NEXT ONE IN ORDER.
I AM UNSURE OF THE HISTORICAL FACTS, BUT IF EVEN SOME OF IT IS TRUE IT IS AN EYE OPENER.
I WILL SAY THIS. WHITE AMERICA HAS DONE ITS BEST TO ELIMINATE ANY COMPETITION TO THE CULTURE OF AMERICA. INDIANS,MEXICANS, BLACKS, AND ETHNIC GROUPS SUCH AS JEWS AND HISPANICS. WE STILL DO TODAY.
THIS WAS A WONDERFUL BOOK TO READ AND I FOUND IT BY ACCIDENT. ( )
  pgabj | Jul 14, 2016 |
The Son is brutal, graphic and tragic in a way that's fitting for a book about the Frontier West. This multi-generational epic jumps back and forth over a 150 year span in its portrayal of the McCullough family dynasty. Patriarch Eli's first person account of his abduction and adoption by a Comanche tribe could be a novel in itself. But son Peter's journal and grand-daughter Jeanne's reflections intervene and inexorably move the story onward toward its karmic ending. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |

Philipp Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nimwegen, Arjaan vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the second century of the Christian era, the Empire of Rome comprehended the fairest part of the earth, and most civilised portion of mankind.... ....its genenius wa humbled in the dust; and armies of unknown Barbarians issuing from the frozen regions of the North, had established their victorious reign over the fairest provinces of Europe and Africa. ...the vicissitudes of fortune, which spares neither man nor the proudest of his works...buries empires and cities in a common grave. ---------------Edward Gibbon
For my family
It was prophesied I would live to see one hundred and having achieved that age I see no reason to doubt it.

Comanche Indian captive Eli McCullough must carve a place for himself in a world in which he does not fully belong -- a journey of adventure, tragedy, hardship, grit, and luck that reverberates in the lives of his progeny.

Philipp Meyer is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

257 wanted8 pay7 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,265,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible