Power Play: Awakening by Rachel Haimowitz

Power Play: Awakening

by Rachel Haimowitz, Cat Grant (Author)

. I liked it a lot, I'm glad I read it, it was hot, I said "ouch" and "omg" quite a few times. I'm glad I read it and I would recommend this book.

How's that Heather?

stellabela | Jan 6, 2015 |
Considering I’m not a really big fan of BDSM novels, it’s with a little surprise that I must admit I liked this one; maybe cause the authors didn’t go into much details during the “scenes” and while I knew those mustn’t be without consequences for Brandon, it wasn’t like the authors were gloating on displaying his hurt. And that is strange cause Jonathan, the Dom, is a self-proclaimed sadist, and so he should enjoying it. But, maybe due to his physical presence, not at all intimidating, or maybe cause I could tell he really cared for Brandon, I had always had the feeling he was doing more for Brandon than for himself.

I didn’t read the first book in this series, pretty obvious it was about how Brandon met Jonathan and how they ended up knowing each other; from what I gathered it didn’t span a lot on a time perspective, Brandon ran away from his Master/slave contract with Jonathan almost at the beginning, save coming back asking Jonathan to take him back and that is where the second book start. But even if basically this is one story divided into two books, I didn’t miss the first one; I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t be the same if you stop to the first book.

This is Brandon’s education to the BDSM world, everything is pretty much evolving around him, or inside his mind, that is the reason why we really don’t know Jonathan and his reason. Truth be told, to me was pretty clear he was deeply attached to Brandon, and it sounded strange he was willing to let him go at the end of their six-months contract. So maybe we didn’t need any more insight on Jonathan, cause Jonathan was open to the reader with his desires and expectation, while instead the troubled character was Brandon. What Brandon wants is no clear, does he want money or love, temporary or commitment?

I appreciated that Jonathan was able to push Brandon to his limits while at the same time respecting his fears. If I have to find a reason to go back to the first book is to find out how the authors managed to introduce Jonathan and his role as a Dom, when from an outside point of view he is totally at the opposite: very small, smaller than Brandon, younger even (only few months) and with elflike feature… the only thing making him bigger than Brandon is money. I loved this contrast, and it was a confirmation that appearances don’t matter, the attitude is what counts.

elisa.rolle | Dec 12, 2013 |
After reading the first book in this series, I was worried that there was going to be more of the same in this next book. I am so happy to say this was everything the first book wasn't, and I enjoyed the first book a lot.

pfodge | Oct 17, 2013 |
Now this is what I'm talking about -- some squee, a little squick, lots of hot, and a continuous exploration of what makes us who we are. It poses some uncomfortable questions and is perfectly fine with letting the reader come to their own conclusions.

A beautifully crafted mind-fuck.
  G.B.Gordon | Jul 10, 2013 |
This is a very powerful story. As much as I enjoyed the first book I enjoyed this one much more. For me it was the extra emotion and getting see a bit behind the curtain for both men that gives you a better understanding of what has brought both of them to this point in their lives. Also, it was clearer this time that Bran was really getting benefit from the relationship which made it feel more shared and less one sided. Finally, while Bran made the most dramatic changes you get a sense that Jonathan has also grown and become more sure about himself as a dominate as he learns to give as well as take. The last few chapters were just WoW. ( )
  KatyBethMcKee | Mar 31, 2013 |

Rachel Haimowitzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Grant, CatAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 193755144X, Paperback)

Give me six months, and I'll give you the world.

Brandon McKinney is a man reborn. Newly awakened to the notion of consensual power exchange and the submissive urges inside him, he begs for a second chance from the man who opened his eyes to this world: Silicon Valley superstar Jonathan Watkins. But no birth is absent pain, and Brandon’s is no exception. He fears he’s not strong enough to see it through.

Jonathan knows better. He’s seen the iron core inside his new submissive, and the wounded heart inside him too. He means to teach Brandon to heal the one with the other. They have five months left on their contract, after all, and Jonathan has done more with less before.

It’s tough to stay objective, though, when you’re falling in love. Shame Brandon doesn’t feel the same. He’s only there for the three-million-dollar payout at contract’s end—a fact that Jonathan, nursing his own wounded heart, reminds himself of each day. For even as Brandon’s barriers break and his mind expands, even as he grows to love his place at Jonathan’s feet, he’ll never love life with a sadist—especially one who cannot escape the public eye.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:01 -0400)

Rachel Haimowitz is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,546,673 books! | Top bar: Always visible