Codex Born by Jim C. Hines

Codex Born

by Jim C. Hines

Series: Magic Ex Libris (2)

3782043,412 (3.87)18

This book was better than the first one. It's pretty much more of the same, but the story felt more focused. ( )
  jrg1316 | Jun 20, 2019 |
A great follow up to Libriomancer with bonus Even More Lena!

I liked how Hines expanded this universe's ideas about libriomancy with things like ebooks, multiple readings by the same person, and magazines. I especially liked using poetry to create moods and feelings.

I realize this is Isaac's story, and I do like him quite a bit, but this book gave me Lena, what she was, what she could have been, and who she wants to be. Considering she's a fantasy creature pulled from a book and designed to change with her lover's desires, this is a huge step for her, and it's fantastic.

The next book can't come soon enough. After reading the ending, I'm ready for it. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Truly enjoyable sequel to LIBRIOMANCER with a markedly different feel from the first book due to the shifting POV between Isaac (libriomancer) and Lena (dryad).

I don't want to say too much, as I don't want to spoil any surprises or fun.

That said, any book that gleefully references classic genre works, AD&D, book history, AND The Princess Bride needs to be on your shelves and read.

My only warning/concern is that a few key plot points tie tightly to matters from the previous book. If you've not read LIBRIOMANCER within the past few months, I highly suggest rereading it before starting this book. (I didn't and regretted it, but by then, I was sucked into this one and couldn't stop to go back. Mea culpa....)

Yet another great engaging read, Jim Hines! ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
......

....sigh.

SO, Codex Born is the second in Jim C. Hines Magic Ex Libris series and it follows main character Isaac Vainio and his main girl Lena Greenwood a dryad pulled from a book herself and discarded. And in an interesting "twist" Lena's other significant other psychiatrist Nidhi Shah joins in on the fun.

The action centers on the discovery of an organization thought to have been wiped out more than five centuries ago by Gutenberg himself. They have strong magic of their own and almost destroy all the characters several times, culminating in a battle in a small town that does kill a lot of people.

I felt that the end of the book, and really the book as a whole was more of the same. Isaac as a character is pretty engaging. He struggles with his place in the Porters and their history of wiping out rivals, and he has a relatively strong relationship with Lena.

I'm going to say right now that I just couldn't care about their relationship. I find it Boring with a capital B. It is super refreshing that a different form (type?) of relationship is explored. I would love more books where so called "alternative" relationship types are explored. Unfortunately I feel nothing for any of the people in this relationship.

I like Isaac in a generic "he's the main character" kind of way and am mildly interested in his story outside of this relationship. Lena has always bored me. She shows up and kicks ass, then doesn't, then does some more. I find her tiring. If you connect with her, awesome I'm glad since I can't adequately explain why I find her dull. Nidhi Shah? I feel she barely has any character at all to care about. She seems mildly uncomfortable with Lena and Isaac's relationship....kinda....i guess? I never really got the sense of her, she is just a big flat nothing character.

The plot of the book itself is pretty interesting. It moves along at a good clip and I did get wrapped up in the mysteries by the middle of the book. I'm trying not to spoil too much of the plot, but it was pretty engaging.

I think overall I would recommend this series. I still love the magic system and that the main character is a librarian. I will probably even continue on with the rest of the series. ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Sep 17, 2016 |
Not nearly as good as the first one. Still interesting to see what the characters are up to, but not as fun. ( )
  Alliebadger | May 22, 2016 |

Jim C. Hinesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leigh, DeniseJacket photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Gutenberg's invention, while having given to some national freedom, brought slavery to others. It became the founder and protector of human liberty, and yet it made despotism possible where formerly it was impossible."

— Mark Twain
To Amy, Skylar, and Jamie.

Thank you for putting up with me through another one.
People say love changes a person. They have no idea.

More information to be announced soon on this forthcoming title from Penguin USA.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:48 -0400)

"Five hundred years ago, Johannes Gutenberg discovered the art of libriomancy, allowing him to reach into books to create things from their pages. Gutenberg's power brought him many enemies, and some of those enemies have waited centuries for revenge. Revenge which begins with the brutal slaughter of a wendigo in the northern Michigan town of Tamarack, a long-established werewolf territory. Libriomancer Isaac Vainio is part of Die Zwelf Porten?re, better known as the Porters, the organization founded by Gutenberg to protect the world from magical threats. Isaac is called in to investigate the killing, along with Porter psychiatrist Nidhi Shah and his dryad bodyguard and lover, Lena Greenwood. Born decades ago from the pages of a pulp fantasy novel, Lena was created to be the ultimate fantasy woman, strong and deadly, but shaped by the needs and desires of her companions. Her powers are unique, and Gutenberg's enemies hope to use those powers for themselves. But their plan could unleash a far darker evil..."--Publisher's statement on Amazon.com.… (more)

Jim C. Hines is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,458,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible