The Fear of Things to Come by Kathryne…

The Fear of Things to Come (edition 2012)

by Kathryne Arnold

851,035,133 (4.2)None
Member:celticlady53
Title:The Fear of Things to Come
Authors:Kathryne Arnold
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 444 pages
Rating:*****

The Fear of Things to Come by Kathryne Arnold

A Fear of Things to Come by Kathryne Arnold is the second in the Samantha Clark Mystery series and was published in 2012.

A combination of strange notes left for Sammi and the disappearance of her boyfriend, Todd sets the second book in this series off to a fast start. Are the two events related? It would seem like more than just a coincidence. After Todd as been missing long enough to file a report, a detective takes interest in the case and the hunt begins.

This story is not so much a mystery as it is a crime story. Samantha's past may have come back to haunt her, not that she did anything scandalous, but some psychology work she did in the past has perhaps made her a target.
The strain is unbearable for Samantha and the tension is palpable and even causes some difficult moments between Samantha and her two closest friends.
Meanwhile a very disturbed man has gone on a killing spree. The actions of this man are very detailed and I warn you now, this book is not for the faint of heart. Before all is said and done a Samantha will have gone through an ordeal that will take a very long time to recover from.
This story was told from Samantha's point of view but much of the story is a third person narrative as we are given access to the situation Todd finds himself in, the thoughts of a killer and another person he has roped into his scheme. Samantha's thoughts and feeling are the only first person areas in the book.

I must say this because this is an honest review. To write in first person is a very difficult thing to pull off even for seasoned authors and in this case I think the author would have a more fluid and cohesive story if she stuck to the third person narrative. She does a great job of telling the story this way, but the first person areas, while vastly improved from the first novel are still a little stiff. The only other area of complaint I have is that he book was in need of a little trim down. It was just a little over long. Now that I have that off my chest, I must say this was a scary, tense, suspenseful novel that could give you a sleepless night or two. There are a few emotional punches as well so be prepared for a very bumpy ride.
Overall this one is a 3.5 rounded to 4. ( )
  gpangel | Sep 8, 2014 |
An excellent psychological thriller written in a simplistic language and a plot that is well thought out and easy to follow.

As soon as I picked up the novel and starting reading it i could not put it down as the author had got me hooked and the only disappointment was the time it took to read, it was over too quickly. An excellent and enjoyable read.

When her lover goes missing and does not return, Samantha's world is turned upside down when she starts receiving strange letters.

With the help of her close friends and the police she is taken on a ride of turbulent emotions which takes her to her past life to find the answer to her nightmare.

The author has used her experience in counselling psychology to create an excellent range of characters whose actions and emotions are truly believable.

As the reader you feel as if you an invisible entity at the back of each situation and you want to reach out and be involved .

The range of emotions throughout the story that you feel change with which characters you are following. Again showing the authors experience and expertise in a very complicated area of human nature.

I found this book very intriguing and had me enthralled from page one. An excellent thriller which is highly charged in people's emotions and what motives the way certain human beings behave and act. Also there is a message hidden in the book that if you give someone a chance that they can change.

Anyone who enjoys an easy to follow thriller with an excellent storyline must pick up this book and read it. ( )
  beckvalleybooks | Sep 5, 2013 |
Samantha and Todd have a comfortable life as owners of a wellness retreat in Florida. Everything is going well until someone from Samantha's past turns their lives upside down. The key to the mystery is in the DSM, the diagnostic tool Samantha used for years in her mental health career.

This is a gripping psychological thriller; not so much a whodunit as a "will he do it and get away with it?". While it is a fascinating read, with its prolific use of profanity and some graphic violence, it may be a bit much for some readers. If you can handle it, you will find it to be difficult to put down.

3.5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the Beck Valley Books book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  Tammy.Ford.Cuevas | Dec 16, 2012 |
This book is awesome!! The Fear of Things to Come had me riveted from start to finish. Samantha Clark is the co-owner, along with Todd, of a holistic retreat in the woods of Florida, an ideal setting with trusted and loved employees and friends until a disturbed man enters their lives. A man, Donnie, who feels that Samantha is to blame for him having to spend longer in prison and he kidnaps Todd to lure Samantha in. He sends letters to Sam expressing his feelings. Once these letters have been turned over to the police, the search for Todd is escalated as they realize that time is against them in their search for Todd.

Donnie is a sick twisted individual who enlists two teenagers, Mick and his friend Jeremy, in his campaign of violence against Samantha and all she holds dear. I found this story to be scary to say the least. I loved it!! Written in such a way that the reader feels the emotions that the characters feel as their lives are in peril by a maniac. I highly recommend this book! ( )
  celticlady53 | Dec 15, 2012 |
I have to say that at first I was a little hesitant about this book. The beginning of the book description kind of turned me off. The first sentence or two of a book description should grab my attention. This one kind of turned me off. When I saw DSM, I was thinking is this some kind of non-fiction book or something. Thankfully, it wasn't.

I have to say that I love this book!! It has been awhile since, I have read a book that really grabbed my attention as much as this one did. I couldn't put it down. It is one of those books where I wanted to stay up all night to finish the book. I don't know if you are like me or not but when I really like a book I dream about it. I fall asleep reading the book, and then dream about what might possibly come next. Maybe I am just weird, but I do become consumed with books I really like.

Each chapter is written in the perspective of different characters as the story proceeds. It will keep you on the edge of your seat. There are surprising twists, that you never see coming, and you will want to get your hands on the next book. I will definitely be getting the next book in the series.

If you are afraid that you will be missing out on something because this is the second book in the series, you are wrong. I haven't read the first book. It was very easy to follow what was going on. I didn't feel like I missed out on anything or that there was some inside information that I needed from the first book to follow along.

I strongly advise you to get this book if you love mysteries. You will love this book. It is a quick read that will leave you wanting for more. I hope you love it as much as I do. ( )
  KelliG | Dec 3, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 148001589X, Paperback)

The DSM. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. A voluminous, invaluable tool used by psychotherapists the world over to diagnose individuals with mental illness. Referenced by Samantha Clark countless times throughout her career, never suspecting that one day it would save her life. Samantha receives a seemingly innocent but anonymous letter, and overnight her world changes forever. She becomes a victim in a frightening game of cat-and-mouse, a nightmare that begins when her boyfriend, Todd, fails to return to the wellness retreat they own in the woods of Florida. Working closely with police, Samantha and two trusted friends discover that Todd?s disappearance is linked to a series of murders occurring in a nearby county. They soon find themselves prey to a mentally ill patient from Samantha?s past, bent on revenge. With time bearing down, they must weave together the clues found in a succession of ominous letters and the DSM to save Todd. Their mission to unravel the mystery behind the kidnapping plunges them into a terrifying maze of danger, deception, and madness.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:13 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,889,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible