Girl On Girl (Y: The Last Man, Book 6) by…

Girl On Girl (Y: The Last Man, Book 6) (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Brian K. Vaughan, Pia Guerra (Illustrator)

Title:Girl On Girl (Y: The Last Man, Book 6)
Authors:Brian K. Vaughan
Other authors:Pia Guerra (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2005), Edition: 2nd Printing, Paperback, 128 pages
Collections:Read, Unowned
Tags:comic, speculative

Y: The Last Man Vol. 6: Girl on Girl by Brian K. Vaughan (2005)

Not sure how many volumes are in the series, but I've just finished the 6th and it's still as exciting (if not more) than the first. The story arcs are crazy far-fetched, but the entire story is and it's fitting. Don't mistake my last comment - the outrageousness is good! ( )
  Amy_Jesionowski | Nov 3, 2015 |
After two years spent warily crossing the U.S., Yorick Brown and his escorts, agent 355 and biochemist Alison Mann, have gone to sea. Mann has determined that the key to understanding what kept Yorick from dying when all the other men did lies within the body of Yorick's pet monkey, Ampersand, who has been abducted by a Japanese mercenary. Following the monkeynapper accounts for the sixth Y: The Last Man collection opening aboard a pirate ship commanded by an exceedingly intrepid erstwhile comp-lit student. Piquant flashbacks and clever, humanizing, and, under the circumstances, not incredible details, like the pirate captain's background, and accidents, like Yorick finding 355 and Mann in flagrante one night--not to mention the volume-closing at-long-last peek at how Yorick's girlfriend, Beth, is faring in Australia--keep this otherwise more routine installment as riveting as its predecessors. Also, by now the saga's relatively plain artwork has become the Y: The Last Man look, and guest artist Goran Sudzuka wisely doesn't deviate from original limner Pia Guerra's style.
  GalenWiley | Apr 9, 2015 |
So, a lot happens in this volume. Unfortunately, it's the first collection that probably deserved a little less than 4 stars. If not for the incredible ending, I would probably give it a 3-3.5.

Vaughan explores a little of what Yorick's girlfriend is up to in Australia and how she's coping with the plague. We're treated to an excellent dream sequence where Beth gets a sign that Yorick is still alive.

The only thing I didn't like was the ridiculous subplot with pirates flooding Australia with heroin and the Australian navy trying to stop them. Also, I wasn't a fan of Yorick hooking up with another girl. He seems to mention Beth less and less, which of course, could indicate that he finds it hard to believe that she's still alive and still looking for him. However, with the ending provided, we're being prepped to think that Yorick and Beth will meet eventually.

I'm going to be very sad when this series ends. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Dec 22, 2013 |
Good stuff, as usual. It's tough being the only dude in a world of sluts... I mean women. :) I was ready to propose to that ship captain too (even though she was skinny) after hearing all those sci-fi/literary references. Nothing sexier than a woman with a book in her hand. ( )
  ragwaine | Aug 19, 2012 |

Brian K. Vaughanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guerra, PiaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Marzán Jr., JoséIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Sudžuka, GoranIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Yorick? Yorick, Where are you...?
Over here!

When a plague of unknown origin kills every mammal with a Y chromosome, Yorick Brown discovers that he is the only male left and embarks on a transcontinental journey to discover why.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,912,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible