Girl On Girl (Y: The Last Man, Book 6) by…

Girl On Girl (Y: The Last Man, Book 6) (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Brian K. Vaughan, Pia Guerra (Illustrator)

1,220136,532 (4.05)10
Member:G_Riv
Title:Girl On Girl (Y: The Last Man, Book 6)
Authors:Brian K. Vaughan
Other authors:Pia Guerra (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2005), Edition: 2nd Printing, Paperback, 128 pages
Collections:Read, Unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:comic

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 6: Girl on Girl by Brian K. Vaughan (2005)

So, a lot happens in this volume. Unfortunately, it's the first collection that probably deserved a little less than 4 stars. If not for the incredible ending, I would probably give it a 3-3.5.

Vaughan explores a little of what Yorick's girlfriend is up to in Australia and how she's coping with the plague. We're treated to an excellent dream sequence where Beth gets a sign that Yorick is still alive.

The only thing I didn't like was the ridiculous subplot with pirates flooding Australia with heroin and the Australian navy trying to stop them. Also, I wasn't a fan of Yorick hooking up with another girl. He seems to mention Beth less and less, which of course, could indicate that he finds it hard to believe that she's still alive and still looking for him. However, with the ending provided, we're being prepped to think that Yorick and Beth will meet eventually.

I'm going to be very sad when this series ends. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Dec 22, 2013 |
Good stuff, as usual. It's tough being the only dude in a world of sluts... I mean women. :) I was ready to propose to that ship captain too (even though she was skinny) after hearing all those sci-fi/literary references. Nothing sexier than a woman with a book in her hand. ( )
  ragwaine | Aug 19, 2012 |
We catch up with Yorick, 355, and Dr. Mann on board a freighter headed for Australia by way of Japan. They seem to have abandoned their hunt for Ampersand the monkey for now. The captain of the ship is gorgeous and has the hots for Yorick, but trouble arrives in the form of an Australian submarine. Is it the freighter or the submarine that is the pirates?

So the title is sort of a double entendre. We do get an excellent lesbian sex scene (inter-racial no less!), but we also have the war between the submarine of women and the ship of women. Haha, well played, Vaughan!

The great thing about this entry in the series is that by itself it has a lot of very cool elements, but it also moves the plot forward. Plus, the Pacific Islander ship captain is really hot and badass.

Overall, this is an excellent entry in the series that is entertaining and moves the plot forward. Fans will not be disappointed.

Check out my full review: http://wp.me/pp7vL-K5 (Link will be live on March 6, 2012). ( )
  gaialover | Mar 5, 2012 |
Summary: Dr. Mann, Agent 355, and Yorrick are aboard a ship heading for Japan, in pursuit of Ampersand's kidnappers. (Monkey-nappers?) However, Yorrick gets discovered by the captain, and that's not their only problem; the ship has been found by a submarine full of potential pirates, and traitors on board mean that no one's loyalties are above question. We also get a quick look at what's happening to Beth in the Australian outback.

Review: Up to this point, this series's been consistently pretty great; while I don't think it's going off the rails or anything, neither did I find this installment as good as what's coming before. True to the rest of the series, there's a lot of sneaking around, and a lot of people pointing guns and swords at each other, and a fair bit of sex... but in this case, not all of it makes sense with what we know about the world and characters thus far, and the disconnect is distracting. Typically, I'd give this story bonus points for being about pirates, but it turns out that my fascination with "boys on boats" is pretty specific to the Age of Sail, and "girls on submarines" doesn't quite cut it. Still, while this installment wasn't my favorite, the story as a whole is still incredibly interesting, and the artwork continues to well-drawn, interestingly laid-out, and gorgeously colored. (Also, it might just be my imagination and faulty memory, but I swear that they're drawing Yorrick as more attractive as the series goes on.) 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: Not the best of the bunch, but still an interesting read, and I'm sure that it's important for what comes next. ( )
  fyrefly98 | Jul 3, 2010 |

Brian K. Vaughanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guerra, PiaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Marzán Jr., JoséIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Sudžuka, GoranIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Yorick? Yorick, Where are you...?
Over here!

When a plague of unknown origin kills every mammal with a Y chromosome, Yorick Brown discovers that he is the only male left and embarks on a transcontinental journey to discover why.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,628,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible