New X-Men, Vol. 3 by Grant Morrison

New X-Men, Vol. 3 (edition 2008)

by Grant Morrison, Chris Bachalo (Illustrator), Phil Jimenez (Illustrator), Marc Silvestri (Illustrator)

Member:randoymwords
Title:New X-Men, Vol. 3
Authors:Grant Morrison (Author)
Other authors:Chris Bachalo (Illustrator), Phil Jimenez (Illustrator), Marc Silvestri (Illustrator)
Info:Marvel, c2008, Paperback, 2nd printing: 2011, nn
Collections:Read but unowned

New X-Men, Vol. 3 by Grant Morrison

First off, the cover of this volume should have "Spoiler!" written across it. Secondly, there were a lot of things I did not like about the last leg of Morrison's run. But, we'll start with the good.

Highlights:
-Jean and Wolverine's connection. The arc of Wolverine and Jean being stuck inside a run-away ship was probably my favorite section of this part of the collection. But there were a lot of moments between Jean and Wolverine that really highlighted their friendship and did it in a way that (for once) I could actually understand why they would have such affection for one another.

-Magneto. I really enjoyed the arc of Magneto as this aging and outdated radical activist that didn't know how to connect with the people he was trying to sway anymore. It was almost heartbreaking watching him struggle to gather people to him like he was once able to do. I loved the internal conflict we kept seeing as he tried to be the man he once was. I only wish that his arc hadn't been so rushed. I would've loved to have seen it given more attention and time to develop instead of whipping through it.

The Annoying Things:
-Pacing My main issue with all three of these volumes is the pacing. I got whiplash from how many things happened in such a small amount of time. Plots would be over in the blink of an eye and it never gave the characters' time to react properly to anything that was happening or to explore an interesting concept. And Morrison had so many interesting stories that got only a fraction of the time they deserved dedicated to them.

-Cyclops. Throughout the whole Morrison run I kept waiting for Scott to get his shit together and step-up. Sadly, he never does and it drove me nuts. He's supposed to be a leader but all we got was an emotionally stunted man who spends the better part of his scenes whining and getting dragged around. Sometimes quite literally. In this book, Wolverine carries a passed-out Scott into a dangerous mission because he wants him there as backup. And that's a huge issue I had with Scott's character here.

Scott plays a purely reactionary role throughout the entire Morrison run. Stuff goes wrong and he reacts to it. He gets dragged into situations and just does what he needs to get out alive or because "it's the right thing to do". Even at the end he doesn't have to deal with the fall-out of his cheating on Jean because he ran away when it was discovered and Jean dies before he has to actually talk to them about it. (And yes, even though it was telepathically, I'm counting his thing with Emma Frost as cheating.)

-Jean's Death. I absolutely hated the way Jean died. Not because I enjoyed her character in the story and didn't want to see it happen. No, it was because I loved her character in the story and her death made me feel nothing. If you kill a character off, it should invoke an emotion. When Jean died all I thought was, "Well that was stupid." The entire scene felt extremely trite.

When Jean dies, the battle with Magneto is essentially over. She reaches down to touch him and he uses a last burst energy to give her a stroke. After watching her and Wolverine survive a plunge into the sun on a run-away spaceship, this was extremely anti-climatic. She dies in Scott's arms who expresses grief. Wolverine goes feral. Everyone stands around in sadness. It's all very...boring.

I got the feeling that the whole reason for Jean's death was purely to allow Scott to be with Emma without guilt or having to outright make the choice to leave Jean. It was extremely frustrating. The collection ends on the lackluster scene of a Phoenix Jean giving Scott her blessing to be with Emma as she joins all the other Phoenixes. A very "meh" ending to an otherwise good run. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
A heartbreaking ending to Morrison's run, setting up Cyclop's change in personality and relationship to Emma Frost.

This gets a little wobbly in the middle, where editorial interference seems to push the storyline endings up sooner. There's an interesting idea of Magneto having to split his personality into noble and villianous components, but it's a bit obfuscated by another sub-plot involving a mutant enhancement drug. We never have a clear idea of how much of the terrorist master's motivation comes from being addicted.

We are very clear on Scott Summers' motivation, however. He never really recovered from having his head invaded by an evil psychic entity. It's hurt his marriage and forced him to contemplate darker and unheroic thoughts. This leads in a way to the alternate future that takes up the last storyline in the book.

It's this last part that really redeems the whole run. It's a modern, super-hero version of the fall from grace in the book of Genesis. Mankind is once again on the verge of tasting of the tree of life, and threatening the creator. It's a wonderfully illustrated Romantic prose-poem on rebelling against God and setting your own fate. ( )
  randoymwords | Dec 4, 2012 |
This Ultimate Collection is book three of three. Please do not combine with the older volume three, which is part of a seven book series and contains different material.

Sixteen million mutants dead - and that was just the beginning! In one bold stroke, writer Grant Morrison (All-Star Superman, Batman) propelled the X-Men into the 21st century - masterminding a challenging new direction for Marvel's mutant heroes that began with the destruction of Genosha and never let up. Regarded as the most innovative thinker of the current comic-book renaissance, Morrison proceeded to turn the mutant-hero genre on its ear. Gone were the gaudy spandex costumes - replaced by slick, black leather and an attitude to match. Now, his entire Eisner Award-nominated run on New X-Men is collected across three titanic trade paperbacks! Collects New X-Men #142-154.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:27 -0400)

"Sixteen million mutants dead-- and that was just the beginning! In one bold stroke, writer Grrant Morrison propelled the X-Men into the 21st century-- masterminding a challenging new direction for Marvel's mutant heroes that began with the destruction of Genosha and never let up" -- p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,175,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible