Little Dinos Don't Bite (Hello Genius)…

Little Dinos Don't Bite (Hello Genius) (edition 2013)

by Michael Dahl, Adam Record (Illustrator)

731,138,814 (3.33)None
Member:rayneofdarkness
Title:Little Dinos Don't Bite (Hello Genius)
Authors:Michael Dahl
Other authors:Adam Record (Illustrator)
Info:Picture Window Books (2013), Edition: Brdbk, Board book, 20 pages
Collections:Read & Own, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:children

Little Dinos Don't Bite (Hello Genius) by Michael Dahl

This book is so cute and funny! I love the illustrations, which focus on a little hipster dinosaur who likes to bite! I could see this one being read time and time again! ( )
  amyolivia | Oct 25, 2013 |
As both a parent and a daycare teacher, I understand the need for resources about biting. BELIEVE ME! I'm not sure this book will be any child's favourite though. It's okay, but not fantastic. The illustrations are cute and colourful and dinosaurs are always a popular choice for children's book characters, but the "no biting" message is clearly aimed at the way adults think more than the way children think. Little Dino is told repeatedly "Don't Bite" (his toys, his friends, his mom) but he's never really told WHY. Small children would respond better to a story in which there was a concrete REASON why the character shouldn't bite (it hurts people, it breaks things, etc.) rather than it just being a rule. It's already a rule! Story books can help reinforce rules and ideas by illustrating "case studies." (You shouldn't bite. Don't believe me? Examine if you will the case of Little Dino.)

It may sound like I'm overthinking this, but I believe strongly that children's books should NEVER sacrifice story for message, even board books for toddlers. It has to be a good book first and foremost if children are expected to respond to it. So books with "messages" are much better conveyed by good storytelling than by illustrated rule telling.

As an example of what I mean, I urge you to check out Doodle Bites, by Polly Dunbar (part of the Tilly and Friends series). It's fantastic and much better at getting the message across than this book.

Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own. ( )
  CozyBookJournal | Apr 25, 2013 |
Cute book - with really cute pictures. Read it with my nephew who is learning to read and he enjoyed it - thought it was really silly and love dinosaurs so learning not to bite everything was great. ( )
  rayneofdarkness | Dec 4, 2012 |

Little Dino learns that he should not bite--except for food, of course.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,487,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible