The Silence of the Sea by Yrsa…

The Silence of the Sea (2011)

by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir

Series: Thóra Guðmundsdóttir (6)

English (12)  Icelandic (1)  All (13)
Ship of horror
By sally tarbox on 12 June 2017
Format: Kindle Edition
If you like thrillers and mysteries then you'll probably enjoy this - I certainly didn't work out what happened and it was a surprise to the very last page.
When luxury yacht, The Lady K, sails into Reykjavik, there's a few people waiting. The grandparents of a tiny tot, whose son, wife and twin daughters are on board. A young man on crutches who should've been part of the crew till he was injured ...
But like the Marie Celeste, it's empty and no one can work out where the family and the 3 man crew have gone.
The grandparents hire Thora Gudmansdottir to find out the truth - are their family really dead?
A complex plot juxtaposes a narrative of the voyage with Thora's ongoing investigations and keeps up the cliffhangers - just as some horror dawns on the ship, the reader is brought back to everyday life in Iceland.
Having said that, I did feel it went on a tad and too much horror starts to desensitize you to it, so was glad to reach the end. I also couldnt quite believe in the twins - or get why Thora didnt sack her awful if characterful secretary, Bella. ( )
1 vote starbox | Jun 11, 2017 |
This was the second book I've read by this author. While it took me a while to adapt to her off-beat style, I'm very much warming to it now, and appreciate her lightness of touch. The main character is in the legal profession, but although she's preparing for a possible case, the action doesn't reach a courtroom.

There's a clear narrative drive without mugging the reader with contrived action or drama, and this builds steadily and in its own quiet way to an effective conclusion.

But at the end of the novel I'm still left pondering a couple of things: did anyone manage to clean up and resurrect that copier, or did that turn into an insurance dispute? ( )
  ten_floors_up | Mar 13, 2017 |
The Silence Of The Sea The Silence of the Sea (Þóra Guðmundsdóttir, #6) by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir

"As The Silence of the Sea opens, a luxury yacht crashes into a Reykjavik pier.
But the boat is empty; no one is on board.
What has happened to the crew?
And what has happened to the family who were very much present when the yacht left Lisbon?" ...(publishers note)
This is a thriller not to be missed.
It has elements of eeriness and a haunting flavor throughout.
I was captivated and chilled to the novel's end.
4.5 ★

This is a goodreads giveaway selection ( )
  pennsylady | Mar 8, 2017 |
I liked the first part of this very much, it felt multi-layered and full of possibilities and red herrings. Unfortunately, it didn't really get much beyond a cool idea for me; one of the plot strands (spoiler - insurance) didn't seem to go anywhere in the end which left me a bit head scratching... oh well, 3 stars for the effort. ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |

Yrsa Sigurðardóttirprimary authorall editionscalculated
Myklebost, Tiril TheresaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my grandfather,
Þorsteinn Eyjolfsson, ship's captain (1906-2007)
Brynjar hugged his jacket tighter around him, thinking longingly of his warm hut and wondering what on earth he was doing out here.

An unmanned luxury yacht crashes into the harbour wall in Reykjavik. What happened to the crew, and to the young family who were on board when it left Lisbon?

Thóra Guðmundsdóttir is hired by the father's parents to investigate. What should she make of the rumours saying that the vessel was cursed? Where is Karitas, the glamorous wife of the yacht's former owner? And whose is the body that has washed up further along the shore?

boat arrives empty
where did seven people go?
Thóra will find out

A luxury yacht arrives in Reykjav?k harbour with nobody on board. What has happened to the crew, and to the family who were on board when it left Lisbon? Th?ra Gudmundsd?ttir is hired by the young father's parents to investigate, and is soon drawn deeper into the mystery.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,698,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible