My Brother's Book by Maurice Sendak

My Brother's Book (edition 2013)

by Maurice Sendak, Maurice Sendak (Illustrator)

1961185,968 (3.83)8
Member:robincoop
Title:My Brother's Book
Authors:Maurice Sendak
Other authors:Maurice Sendak (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2013), Hardcover, 32 pages

My Brother's Book by Maurice Sendak

"...bark enclosed his living trunk,
Bare vines entwined his glittering head.
Ask of the wild cheery tree:
Does he live? Is he dead?"

Although gone, Sendak lives in the dense visual and verbal imagery of love & grief of "My Brother's Book."

"And you will dream of me." ( )
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |
"...bark enclosed his living trunk,
Bare vines entwined his glittering head.
Ask of the wild cheery tree:
Does he live? Is he dead?"

"And you will dream of me." ( )
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |
A tribute to his dead brother, Jack and the last book Maurice wrote and illustrated, based in part on Shakespeare's The Winter Tale. A little bit scary, and a little bit confusing, it was the confusing part that subtracted from the telling. ( )
  phoenixcomet | Feb 15, 2018 |
Seems like something from another time, another dimension. Beautiful. ( )
  Kristin_Curdie_Cook | Apr 29, 2016 |
Found this beautiful but mysterious. Like when I was 14 and had to read poetry I didn't understand. I can sense meaning beneath the surface but can't break the ice. ( )
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |

Fifty years after Where the Wild Things Are was published comes the last book Maurice Sendak completed before his death in May 2012, My Brother's Book. With influences from Shakespeare and William Blake, Sendak pays homage to his late brother, Jack, whom he credited for his passion for writing and drawing. Pairing Sendak's poignant poetry with his exquisite and dramatic artwork, this book redefines what mature readers expect from Maurice Sendak while continuing the lasting legacy he created over his long, illustrious career. Sendak's tribute to his brother is an expression of both grief and love and will resonate with his lifelong fans who may have read his children's books and will be ecstatic to discover something for them now. Pulitzer Prize–winning literary critic and Shakespearean scholar Stephen Greenblatt contributes a moving introduction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:22 -0400)

"Fifty years after Where the Wild Things Are was published comes the last book Maurice Sendak completed before his death in May 2012, My Brother's Book. With influences from Shakespeare and William Blake, Sendak pays homage to his late brother, Jack, whom he credited for his passion for writing and drawing. Pairing Sendak's poignant poetry with his exquisite and dramatic artwork, this book redefines what mature readers expect from Maurice Sendak while continuing the lasting legacy he created over his long, illustrious career. Sendak's tribute to his brother is an expression of both grief and love and will resonate with his lifelong fans who may have read his children's books and will be ecstatic to discover something for them now. Pulitzer Prize-winning literary critic and Shakespearean scholar Stephen Greenblatt contributes a moving foreword--Amazon.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,515,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible