Life in the Fat Lane by Cherie Bennett

Life in the Fat Lane

by Cherie Bennett

I first read this book as a teenager. Recently I stumbled upon it on an online library and was able to borrow it to read again. It was pretty cool to read it again after all these years.

I love the story, I feel it so much. Although, I had trouble taking the main character seriously, when she was all melodramatic about gaining 10 pounds. But as she continued to gain weight, despite efforts not to, I felt more and more empathetic. Although *spoiler* when she broke up with her boyfriend because she thought he didn't want her anymore because of her weight, I feel like she jumped the gun far too quickly. I mean, I am self conscious, but if I had a great guy who wanted to be with me despite how I looked, I wouldn't be so quick to leave him. But I guess I get it, she had always been skinny, and sudden major weight gain would be a shock to her body image. She is kind of that opposite of me, I have never been skinny, yet I felt trapped in the wrong body, and she has always been skinny and unexplicably gained a lot of weight in a short period of time. What I *can* relate to is the frustration of going to extreme measures to lose weight, and still not being able to, and having people assume that you are eating more than you say. Nobody really knows unless they are in that situation. Of course, the metabolic disorder she has is not real, but it acts in a way that my body has behaved, I have gone through periods of starvation, and still managed to lose very little weight and/or maintain.

I would recommend this book for people who have dealt with with issues, bullying, hate, or just those who care about the issues. Also, if you are one of the many unsympathetic types, I would read it to get a feeling for what it would be like to be in the shoes of someone who has to struggle with their weight. People don't "choose" to gain weight, in my experience, most of the time you don't even realize how bad it is until you hit rock bottom, and most of the time there are underlying issues that make it extremely difficult to fix it, and it does not help to have judgemental people talking down/making fun of you.

I would say that this book would be good for Tweens and up. It really depends on the person. I was probably in my mid-late teens when I read it the first time, and now I am 32. I enjoyed it equally both times. I feel it is a story that anyone could relate to on some level. ( )
  heartsstarspll | Oct 20, 2015 |
A few years ago, one of my students borrowed this book from my pile of public library discards and loved it so much that she wrote a really touching letter to the author about how much it affected her. I stumbled across it again and accidentally sat down and read the whole thing. A few hours later, I was wondering why. It's not like it was good, really. It was just SO JR. HIGH. It's like every teeny-bopper book every published POINT. Do you girls remember? It was cheesy, and it was a page turner, and today I gave it to a girl who I knew would love it who has just recently turned into a reader after discovering a collection of novels called Blueford High that I also got for ten cents a piece. So, at least what I got out of what could have been a complete waste of two hours was another title that I can recommend appropriately and even discuss at length with a student.

Shallow girl realizes that her "perfect" life wasn't so perfect. Blah, blah, blah.

engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
I love the messege that this book had. The acceptance that one needs to have with their body. That not being perfectly thin is okay ( )
  valesbookshelf | Jul 23, 2015 |
I loved this book when I read it a long time ago. It is well written, but with some plot holes and unbelievability about what happens to the main character. Nice, quick, young adult read. ( )
  DianaLynn5287 | Jun 21, 2013 |
I haven’t read anything by Cherie Bennett in awhile, but I remember enjoying her column ‘Hey, Cherie!’ when I was a teen. I’ve had this book on my to-be-read list for a while and once I finally picked it up, I didn’t want to put it down.
Lara is that girl you wished you could be in high school. Home coming queen and pageant winner, courteous and sweet (to your face, at least), Lara loved life. Then one day she begins to gain weight…and gain…and gain. She is eventually diagnosed with Axel-Crowne syndrome (fictional metabolic disease), and as her waistline gets larger, her group of friends gets smaller.
The ending really has me torn here. At first I was really upset and annoyed that Lara didn’t learn anything while she was fat. Throughout the whole book she had contempt for “fat kids,” and even after she was diagnosed with Axel-Crowne and weighed over 200 pounds she still didn’t consider herself “one of those kids.” It would have been nice to see Lara learn some humility. On the other hand, I often complain that books always have a happy ending, and the fact that she didn’t learn humility shows that this book has a very realistic and non-Hollywood ending. I appreciate that Cherie Bennett keeps it real. ( )
  jurai2 | Feb 25, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440220297, Mass Market Paperback)

Beauty pageant winner, homecoming queen--Lara has the world at her feet.  Until she gets fat.

Despite a strict diet and workout schedule, Lara is soon a nameless, faceless, 200-pound-plus teenage blimp.  She's desperate to get her to-die-for body back--and to find an explanation for her rapid weight gain.

When she's diagnosed with a mysterious metabolic disorder that has no known cure, Lara fears she'll spend the rest of her life trapped in a fat suit.  Who will stand by her?  Her image-conscious family?  Her shallow friends?  Her handsome boyfriend?  Or will she be left alone in the land of the fat girls?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:01 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Lara, winner of beauty pageants and Homecoming Queen, is distressed and bewildered when she starts gaining weight and becomes a fat girl.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,955,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible