Life in the Fat Lane by Cherie Bennett

Life in the Fat Lane

by Cherie Bennett

I loved this book when I read it a long time ago. It is well written, but with some plot holes and unbelievability about what happens to the main character. Nice, quick, young adult read. ( )
  DianaLynn5287 | Jun 21, 2013 |
THIS REVIEW CONTAINS A SPOILER!!!
I haven’t read anything by Cherie Bennett in awhile, but I remember enjoying her column ‘Hey, Cherie!’ when I was a teen. I’ve had this book on my to-be-read list for a while and once I finally picked it up, I didn’t want to put it down.
Lara is that girl you wished you could be in high school. Home coming queen and pageant winner, courteous and sweet (to your face, at least), Lara loved life. Then one day she begins to gain weight…and gain…and gain. She is eventually diagnosed with Axel-Crowne syndrome (fictional metabolic disease), and as her waistline gets larger, her group of friends gets smaller.
SPOILER ALERT!!!
The ending really has me torn here. At first I was really upset and annoyed that Lara didn’t learn anything while she was fat. Throughout the whole book she had contempt for “fat kids,” and even after she was diagnosed with Axel-Crowne and weighed over 200 pounds she still didn’t consider herself “one of those kids.” It would have been nice to see Lara learn some humility. On the other hand, I often complain that books always have a happy ending, and the fact that she didn’t learn humility shows that this book has a very realistic and non-Hollywood ending. I appreciate that Cherie Bennett keeps it real. ( )
  jurai2 | Feb 25, 2013 |
A "popular" high school student has a metabolic disorder that causes her to gain lots of weight.

On the one hand, this is at times a pretty accurate account of what it's like to be a fat woman - the world is against you, people can be nasty and judgmental just because of how you look, and much of life seems off-limits...even if many of the limits are only sociatal pressure.

On the other hand, the book emphasizes the "good fat" vs "bad fat" myth, for example that it's "ok" for one person to be fat because you know they have a disorder, and that somehow sets them apart from all the other fatties who obviously just eat too much and sit on their butts all day. It's a difficult prejudice to shake, but it would have been nice to see the characters try a little harder.

I was afraid the book would end with the main character losing all the progress she had made, and it nearly did, but overall it wasn't bad. Not recommended to people who are feeling fragile or self-conscious, but potentially recommended to people who don't understand what it's like to be fat in a fat-phobic world. ( )
  bluesalamanders | Nov 28, 2010 |
This book is amazing, something I've read half a dozen times and it never gets old, there's always something there that you didn't get the first time. It's about a girl who is completely perfect-perfect looks, perfect family, perfect boyfriend, the works. But one day, right after winning homecoming queen, she starts to gain weight and she can't figure out why. At first its just a little, but then its much more, and soon everyone's talking behind her back like they were never friends to begin with. This book deals with hard issues head on, not just about weight and looks but about friendship and family. I loved it. ( )
1 vote jfoster_sf | Mar 10, 2009 |
Story about high schooler, Lara, who is beautiful and "perfect", born into a perfect family with a perfect mother and father. Scott, her brother, believes he never bought into the families perfectionism. Has a chubby best friend, Molly, who sticks by her no matter what, and a boyfriend, Jett, who is a good looking, artistic-type who is one year older than Lara. Lara's whole world comes crumbling down around her when she begins to gain weight uncontrollably. Lara looses her friends and eventually her boyfriend. Her parents begin to pressure her because of her weight and she quickly learns that her once perfect family has been hiding many secrets. ( )
  robynr | Dec 3, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440220297, Mass Market Paperback)

Beauty pageant winner, homecoming queen--Lara has the world at her feet.  Until she gets fat.

Despite a strict diet and workout schedule, Lara is soon a nameless, faceless, 200-pound-plus teenage blimp.  She's desperate to get her to-die-for body back--and to find an explanation for her rapid weight gain.

When she's diagnosed with a mysterious metabolic disorder that has no known cure, Lara fears she'll spend the rest of her life trapped in a fat suit.  Who will stand by her?  Her image-conscious family?  Her shallow friends?  Her handsome boyfriend?  Or will she be left alone in the land of the fat girls?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:54 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Lara, winner of beauty pageants and Homecoming Queen, is distressed and bewildered when she starts gaining weight and becomes a fat girl.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,620,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible