The Ghost Map by Steven Johnson

The Ghost Map (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Steven Johnson

2,7351502,151 (3.94)2 / 239
Member:spearr
Title:The Ghost Map
Authors:Steven Johnson
Info:Riverhead, (2006), , softcover, 300 pages
Collections:Your library, former library - donated
Rating:***
Tags:history, medicine, science, London, cholera

The Ghost Map by Steven Johnson (2006)

English (148)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (150)
I didn't think I would enjoy a book that started about how people used to get rid of their poop, but I did. I'm honestly not sure what to think of the dramatic way Johnson tells this story. On the one hand, it's what kept me turning pages all day yesterday until I finished the book. But on the other hand, it's a little unbelievable the way he enters the minds of John Snow and Whitehead. Overall, it was a pretty fascinating book. ( )
1 vote captainmander | May 11, 2016 |
An easy reading and interesting retelling of the cholera epidemic that struck 19th century London. The author focuses on how two residents of the afflicted Soho community, a doctor and pastor, ultimately combine efforts to challenge the scientific community's prevailing theory that cholera was caused by miasma (noxious odors in the atmosphere caused by filth and decay). Today we know that cholera is caused by waterborne bacteria. How these two gentlemen led the way to that discovery makes for a fascinating story.

Unfortunately, the book was at least one chapter too long. After concluding the story, the author speculates as to comparable modern challenges, digressing to the point of discussing nuclear attacks. Perhaps true, but completely unnecessary for this work. ( )
  la2bkk | May 4, 2016 |
The story being told here is a fascinating one, and probably accounts for the popularity of this book. If you're already roughly familiar with the story, this book really fails to be gripping.

It reads to me like it would have been a dynamite magazine article, but was padded out to book length with a lot of repetition, overly-lengthy descriptions, and long, unilluminating 'philosophical' passages about the ways that scientific knowledge advances, full of overloaded (and mixed) metaphors. There's good stuff here for the general reader, though, if you don't mind doing a fair amount of skimming. ( )
  theparsley | Mar 24, 2016 |
I enjoyed the historical portions, but skip the summation chapters and the epilogue. They were hugely annoying. Stop saying "simply vanish", "even as i write", and "city-planet". The vocabulary was repetitive, but so were the concepts. I would have highly recommended it if the author hadn't wandered off into speculating about the end of the world. Which, you know, could simply vanish after one suitcase bomb, planted even as I write, and destroy our city-planet as we know it. ( )
  adraucker | Mar 12, 2016 |
  adraucker | Mar 12, 2016 |
To nonfiction book writers: if you want your book to sell, make huge, dramatic claims with your title and/or subtitle. If you want your book to be a bestseller, you actually have to fulfill those claims. Steven Johnson has done both, again and again.

Steven Johnsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gibson, BenjaminCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sklar, AlanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"A Klee painting named 'Angelus Novus' shows an angel looking as though he is about to move away from something he is fixedly contemplating. His eyes are staring, his mouth is open, his wings are spread. This is how one pictures the angel of history. His face is turned toward the past. Where we perceive a chain of events, he sees one single catastrophe which keeps piling wreckage and hurls it in front of his feet. The angel would like to stay, awaken the dead, and make whole what has been smashed. But a storm is blowing in from Paradise; it has got caught in his wings with such a violence that the angel can no longer close them. The storm irresistably propels him into the future to which his back is turned, while the pile of debris before him grows skyward. This storm is what we call progress."
—Walter Benjamin, "Theses on the Philosophy of History"
For the women in my life:

My mother and sisters, for their amazing work
on the front lines of public health

Alexa, for the gift of Henry Whitehead

and Mame, for introducing me to London so many years ago . . .
It is August 1854, and London is a city of scavengers.
From Amazon: It's the summer of 1854, and London is just emerging as one of the first modern cities in the world. But lacking the infrastructure-garbage removal, clean water, sewers-necessary to support its rapidly expanding population, the city has become the perfect breeding ground for a terrifying disease no one knows how to cure. As the cholera outbreak takes hold, a physician and a local curate are spurred to action-and ultimately solve the most pressing medical riddle of their time.

In a triumph of multidisciplinary thinking, Johnson illuminates the intertwined histories of the spread of disease, the rise of cities, and the nature of scientific inquiry, offering both a riveting history and a powerful explanation of how it has shaped the world we live in.

An account of the worst cholera outbreak in Victorian London--and an exploration of how Dr. John Snow's solution revolutionized the way we think about disease in cities. In the summer of 1854, a devastating cholera outbreak seized London just as it was emerging as a modern city. Author Johnson chronicles Snow's day-by-day efforts as he risked his own life to prove how the epidemic was being spread. When he created the map that traced the pattern of outbreak back to its source, Dr. Snow didn't just solve a pressing medical riddle--he established a precedent for the way modern city-dwellers, city planners, physicians, and public officials think about the spread of disease and the development of the modern urban environment.--From publisher description.… (more)

409 wanted4 pay7 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,860,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible