Oh Myyy! (There Goes The Internet) by George…

Oh Myyy! (There Goes The Internet) (edition 2012)

by George Takei

Member:hobbitprincess
Title:Oh Myyy! (There Goes The Internet)
Authors:George Takei
Info:Oh Myyy! Limited Liability Company (2012), Edition: 1, Kindle Edition, 151 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle Books
Tags:Nonfiction, Read 2013

Oh Myyy!: There Goes The Internet by George Takei

Written in George's witty and biting style, this is a fun(ny) and interesting read about social media (namely Facebook and Twitter), and for better or worse, how we are synergistically connected via and to this web. As a communications major, I really wanted to know what a septuagenarian, who is more like the common variety social media user like the rest of us (rather than a techie) had to say about the matter.

As a screen icon, he relates how his posts reach and affect millions worldwide. In reading, I thought and agreed that as social media authors (yes, us regular folk and mere mortals), we bear the same standard of responsibility and accountability as is related in this book. Of course, we would never hope to reach such a vast audience. Nonetheless, I've seen carelessly tossed out comments, scathing remarks, and unvalidated shares of others' negative posts, as though the person posting held some misguided belief that social media granted some form of invincibility.

Social media = Social responsibility

MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
This is an easy read, and fun if you're a George Takei fan - either through 'Star Trek' or cat memes.

Some of this book seems to be an apology explanation for not being able to do it all for his more than three MILLION followers on Facebook. He throws out some tips on how to have a successful (commercial-esque) Facebook page, which may or may not come in handy.

I think he shows some real insight in to the LGBT problems of our era and manages to reconcile himself nicely with being a actor - but also a ACTIVIST - which coming from many celebrities sounds pretentious and all I want them to do is shut up.

But George Takei seems to be the genuine article. He cares for his fans and he has his passions that he won't apologize for. This is an easy book that's well worth the read. (Especially if you can get it for free on your Amazon Prime account for the Kindle. :>) ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
As a fan of George Takei on Facebook (though, who isn't these days?) I couldn't wait to read his book. It didn't disappoint. It provided a deeper look into the fascinating life of the 75-year-old gay man who dominates the internet today. It was funny, it was interesting, it was insightful. I learned more about the man himself as well as his take on the internet as it exists today. I found myself telling my husband each night over dinner about the latest thing Uncle George wrote about, so while that makes me a dork it does prove the book is engaging! I admit (as I've seen other people complain) that some of the images were hard to read but be honest - we all already saw them on his Facebook page so it's not a dealbreaker. ( )
  vickilesage | Feb 13, 2014 |
I don't use star ratings, so please read my review!

(Description nicked from B&N.com.)

“In this groundbreaking, hilarious and informative book, Takei recounts his experiences on platforms such as Twitter, YouTube and Facebook, where fans and pundits alike have crowned him King. He muses about everything from the nature of viral sharing, to the taming of Internet trolls, to why Yoda, bacon and cats are such popular memes. Takei isn't afraid to tell it like he sees it, and to engage the reader just as he does his legions of fans.

Both provokingly thoughtful and wickedly funny, Oh Myyy! captures and comments upon the quirky nature of our plugged-in culture. With Takei's conversational yet authoritative style, peppered with some of his favorite images from the web, readers should be prepared to LOL, even as they can't help but hear his words in their heads in that unmistakable, deep bass.”

Okay, I admit it: I’m a follower of George Takei on Facebook. His posts almost always get me to smile, even on the roughest of days, and his staunch stance on issues that are important to him is admirable. In this book he explores the same question that I’m sure many have asked themselves: how did an aging science fiction actor become one of the most definitive voices on the internet?

The answer to that question seems to be that it happened by happy accident. Even Takei himself expresses some disbelief at how things have fallen out. At the same time, he also never fails to express his gratitude at the opportunities that he’s been given as a result. He’s also warm in his praise of his fans and followers, people who may not always agree with him, but with whom he always hopes to engage in a positive manner. Of course, he doesn’t ignore the trolls, those for whom the internet is a place to incite anger and hostility, but he talks about them with humor as well.

Since Takei is most active on Facebook, most of his musings on social reach and popularity focus on that platform. There is some discussion of Twitter, the site where he first began to be popular, but mostly his turns his thoughts to the way things propagate on Facebook and how the site actually works. He doesn’t shy away from criticizing things about the site that he thinks could be improved, but he’s not shy giving praise where he thinks it is due.

Not all of the book is about such weighty matters. He talks about the prevalence of cats on the internet and about why they’re so popular, opining that one of the reasons may be because when they fail, they fail epically. He touches on the subject of bacon, and mentions how he can’t see a sign with wavy lines on it without thinking of bacon. There’s a chapter on the Mayan apocalypse and why we’re all so obsessed with the end of the world.

Is this a book that’s going to make a profound change in your life? No. Is this a book that’s going to impart wisdom and learning? No. Is this a fun read by the internet’s most fun senior citizen? Hell yes! Takei calls himself the naughty gay Asian uncle that everyone wishes they had, and I can’t argue with that characterization. Oh Myyy!is savvy, straightforward, and funny... just like its author.
  owlcat_mountain | Jan 28, 2014 |
I tend to avoid celebrity “books” because they just come across as self-promotion to me. I read to be entertained. I decided to buy this one because it seemed like it would be a light-hearted riff on the absurdity of life, much like Takei’s Facebook page is. Happily, that is pretty much what this is. The book reads a lot like an online blog: Takei’s views on the internet, cats, Facebook, his activism, and his own astonishment at how popular he has become.

The book chronicles how Takei came to be so dominant on social media, mainly through Facebook and the power of memes. It’s a light, easy read with humorous anecdotes and pictures sprinkled throughout. He doesn’t spend too long on any one topic, and I did learn a few things while reading. His chapter on the inner-workings of Facebook with regards to “edge rank” and algorithms was very eye-opening.

On the flip-side, while it is an easy read, the book is also very easy to put down. I stopped about half-way through because I got busy with other things and didn’t return to it for over a week. I found it enjoyable, but not a “must-read” that you just can’t put down. It has inspired me to check out books by other celebs with a similar social engagement. I think perhaps Ellen DeGeneres ’ book might be worth looking into! Overall, Oh Myyy! is definitely worth the purchase. ( )
  jshillingford | Sep 12, 2013 |
Dedicated to
my husband Brad Takei,
who swore I had it in me
to write another book
and to
my trusty interns,
who demanded
not to be named.
How in the world did a common, everyday exclamation come to be so associated with me?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,713,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible