Oh Myyy! (There Goes The Internet) by George…

Oh Myyy! (There Goes The Internet) (edition 2012)

by George Takei

Title:Oh Myyy! (There Goes The Internet)
Authors:George Takei
Info:Oh Myyy! Limited Liability Company (2012), Edition: 1, Kindle Edition, 151 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle Books
Tags:Nonfiction, Read 2013

Oh Myyy!: There Goes The Internet by George Takei

Recently added byDuchessofHazard, ghiarev, private library, CotyM, arohabooks

Humorous look at the Star Trek alum who became a Twitter and Facebook phenom with his pithy wit. He became a standard bearer for gay marriage and bringing to light the shame that was the internment of Japanese Americans during WWII. He discusses the technology of the media and how he has developed a rapport with the techs at Facebook to improve their product.

I kind of glazed over the technical stuff, not being a Facebook aficionado or Twitter follower, but his devotion to his fans is obvious and I respect him for that. ( )
  mamzel | Aug 7, 2015 |
I had fun reading this book though I'm not a science fiction fan. It convinced me to fan George Takei on Facebook. I like the attitude...you need to strike a balance between serious and fun. Sometimes people blame the internet and social media for watering down society. Did it really? First, what's wrong with fun? What's wrong with social? And isn't an interactive platform that allows the possibility of raising the profile of big ideas cooler than the ways that people used to waste their time in the 'good old days'? Or something like that. ( )
  ahovde01 | Dec 12, 2014 |
Written in George's witty and biting style, this is a fun(ny) and interesting read about social media (namely Facebook and Twitter), and for better or worse, how we are synergistically connected via and to this web. As a communications major, I really wanted to know what a septuagenarian, who is more like the common variety social media user like the rest of us (rather than a techie) had to say about the matter.

As a screen icon, he relates how his posts reach and affect millions worldwide. In reading, I thought and agreed that as social media authors (yes, us regular folk and mere mortals), we bear the same standard of responsibility and accountability as is related in this book. Of course, we would never hope to reach such a vast audience. Nonetheless, I've seen carelessly tossed out comments, scathing remarks, and unvalidated shares of others' negative posts, as though the person posting held some misguided belief that social media granted some form of invincibility.

Social media = Social responsibility

MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
This is an easy read, and fun if you're a George Takei fan - either through 'Star Trek' or cat memes.

Some of this book seems to be an apology explanation for not being able to do it all for his more than three MILLION followers on Facebook. He throws out some tips on how to have a successful (commercial-esque) Facebook page, which may or may not come in handy.

I think he shows some real insight in to the LGBT problems of our era and manages to reconcile himself nicely with being a actor - but also a ACTIVIST - which coming from many celebrities sounds pretentious and all I want them to do is shut up.

But George Takei seems to be the genuine article. He cares for his fans and he has his passions that he won't apologize for. This is an easy book that's well worth the read. (Especially if you can get it for free on your Amazon Prime account for the Kindle. :>) ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
As a fan of George Takei on Facebook (though, who isn't these days?) I couldn't wait to read his book. It didn't disappoint. It provided a deeper look into the fascinating life of the 75-year-old gay man who dominates the internet today. It was funny, it was interesting, it was insightful. I learned more about the man himself as well as his take on the internet as it exists today. I found myself telling my husband each night over dinner about the latest thing Uncle George wrote about, so while that makes me a dork it does prove the book is engaging! I admit (as I've seen other people complain) that some of the images were hard to read but be honest - we all already saw them on his Facebook page so it's not a dealbreaker. ( )
  vickilesage | Feb 13, 2014 |
Dedicated to
my husband Brad Takei,
who swore I had it in me
to write another book
and to
my trusty interns,
who demanded
not to be named.
How in the world did a common, everyday exclamation come to be so associated with me?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,583 books! | Top bar: Always visible