Oh Myyy! (There Goes The Internet) by George…

Oh Myyy! (There Goes The Internet) (edition 2012)

by George Takei

Title:Oh Myyy! (There Goes The Internet)
Authors:George Takei
Info:Oh Myyy! Limited Liability Company (2012), Edition: 1, Kindle Edition, 151 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle Books
Tags:Nonfiction, Read 2013

Oh Myyy!: There Goes the Internet by George Takei

Oh Myyy!: There Goes the Internet by George Takei
244 pages

Depending what generation you ask, George Takei is best known for either playing Sulu on the original Star Trek OR he is best known for that guy who’s always posting funny things on Facebook. In the last couple year, Takei hit a new wind of famous by simply posting memes on Facebook, accumulating well over 6 million fans at this point, many who I am afraid aren’t even aware of his previous stint on Star Trek (the Star Trek nerd in me cries). But I can’t deny that I am one of his fans on the website, his posts leave me amused and they are often light-hearted. If you are looking for a memoir on his earlier work and life, don’t look here (look at his early book - To The Stars for that). This book delves into his “career” as an internet celebrity, how he has acclimated, how he has managed to build his fan base, his thoughts on the internet, how he’s used his new fame for good causes, and other random tidbits. I was hoping to like this book much more than I did. It was just so repetitive after awhile. Yes, I get it, you have A LOT of fans (3 million at the time this book was written) and yes, I get that you are only so responsible for the posts on your page because yes, I know you aren’t a news reporter and you can’t spend your days authenticating everything – I got it, the 5 times you mentioned it. It was a fun book, some of his better posts are thrown into the book and I can’t help but love Takei, he’s just an enjoyable, humble guy. But I find it difficult to imagine that 244 pages could be written on one’s short career of posting things on Facebook, I also can’t imagine there would be a reason for a second book on the subject, but there is so maybe I’m just missing something. Good, but nothing to call home about.
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
Humorous look at the Star Trek alum who became a Twitter and Facebook phenom with his pithy wit. He became a standard bearer for gay marriage and bringing to light the shame that was the internment of Japanese Americans during WWII. He discusses the technology of the media and how he has developed a rapport with the techs at Facebook to improve their product.

I kind of glazed over the technical stuff, not being a Facebook aficionado or Twitter follower, but his devotion to his fans is obvious and I respect him for that. ( )
  mamzel | Aug 7, 2015 |
I had fun reading this book though I'm not a science fiction fan. It convinced me to fan George Takei on Facebook. I like the attitude...you need to strike a balance between serious and fun. Sometimes people blame the internet and social media for watering down society. Did it really? First, what's wrong with fun? What's wrong with social? And isn't an interactive platform that allows the possibility of raising the profile of big ideas cooler than the ways that people used to waste their time in the 'good old days'? Or something like that. ( )
  ahovde01 | Dec 12, 2014 |
Written in George's witty and biting style, this is a fun(ny) and interesting read about social media (namely Facebook and Twitter), and for better or worse, how we are synergistically connected via and to this web. As a communications major, I really wanted to know what a septuagenarian, who is more like the common variety social media user like the rest of us (rather than a techie) had to say about the matter.

As a screen icon, he relates how his posts reach and affect millions worldwide. In reading, I thought and agreed that as social media authors (yes, us regular folk and mere mortals), we bear the same standard of responsibility and accountability as is related in this book. Of course, we would never hope to reach such a vast audience. Nonetheless, I've seen carelessly tossed out comments, scathing remarks, and unvalidated shares of others' negative posts, as though the person posting held some misguided belief that social media granted some form of invincibility.

Social media = Social responsibility

MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
This is an easy read, and fun if you're a George Takei fan - either through 'Star Trek' or cat memes.

Some of this book seems to be an apology explanation for not being able to do it all for his more than three MILLION followers on Facebook. He throws out some tips on how to have a successful (commercial-esque) Facebook page, which may or may not come in handy.

I think he shows some real insight in to the LGBT problems of our era and manages to reconcile himself nicely with being a actor - but also a ACTIVIST - which coming from many celebrities sounds pretentious and all I want them to do is shut up.

But George Takei seems to be the genuine article. He cares for his fans and he has his passions that he won't apologize for. This is an easy book that's well worth the read. (Especially if you can get it for free on your Amazon Prime account for the Kindle. :>) ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Dedicated to

my husband Brad Takei,
who swore I had it in me
to write another book

and to

my trusty interns,
who demanded
not to be named.
How in the world did a common, everyday exclamation come to be so associated with me?
Friends, much has happened in the fast-paced world of Social Media since first releasing this book in digital form back in November of 2012. (Preface)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,704,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible