Rebirth by Debbie Brown

Title:Rebirth
Authors:Debbie Brown
Info:GMTA Publishing (2012), Paperback, 180 pages

Rebirth by Debbie Brown

I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was a fast-paced story that was hard to put down, finished it in one sitting. The author pulls you in from the first page and leaves you wanting more at the last page (in a good way). The only thing that I wanted was more development of characters. I enjoyed the characters but didn't really feel the connection that I like to feel when I read a book. Hope the author has a sequel to this one. ( )
  sportzmomof5 | Mar 27, 2014 |
I received this book through Librarything, free of charge in exchange for an honest review. Which is tough, because I really don't like writing bad reviews. However, I also don't like to sugar coat things and this book was not good. I wonder if the publisher actually read this book or if an editor even went over it. There are just so many inconsistencies and holes in the story and the ending is juvenile and unimaginative. The story starts off with the main character, Aleksei,(who can do anything and knows everything), saved from a collapsed building by 15 year old Mitch and his little brother, Jamie. These three decide to group together and get out of the city, stopping to get survival supplies from a Walmart on the way. There is really no attempt to find adults, or parents/caregivers. The little brother doesn't cry for mommy and I don't know why they would decide right away that they need survival supplies. Wouldn't anyone else try to go home?, find someone in charge? not these kids. Next they pick up Krisztina, in a Jeep that they just took from a dealership. Next, at a semi-collapsed Walmart, they rescue six year old Ally and her baby brother JJ. So then I wonder why would these kids just go off with some strange teens instead of looking for whoever they were at the Walmart with? Clearly this little girl was not taught about "stranger danger". But anyway, the teens just go with it and get some diapers, food and tents and head for the woods. At this point, I am annoyed. What was the author thinking? How come none of these kids are crying, wanting Mommy, or freaking out? AND why would they just head for the woods and decide to get all Swiss Family Robinson-like and make a home out in nature. At one point, they even raid a gift shop that is close by, but still make a home in a cave. UGH. They also notice that the aliens are dumping orange powder all over the city which dissolves the buildings. Somehow, the kids just KNOW this is how the aliens are using our planet for fuel. Well, they plant gardens, make a compost toilet and generally thrive without adults in their woodland paradise. Then one day, just as they are deciding that they are going to try to escape the invisible barrier that surrounds them, the aliens start talking to them. I don't want to ruin the absolutely ridiculous ending for you if you decide to read this book anyway, so I wont pick that apart. And good for you if you do read it, not every book is going to please everybody, and perhaps you will enjoy this one. ( )
  Steelyshan | Feb 22, 2014 |
[Rebirth] by[Debbie Brown] began with a quick pace that made it difficult for me to put down. The characters were authentic and you fell right in with their plight. The statement that was made about the youth being our hope could not have rung more true.

I would have liked to see more development and I am hoping she continues this story line. It had the potential to be wide read YA fiction given the current climate of the genre.

I have to try and find a paper version of this so I may add it to my classroom library. ( )
  MsHooker | Feb 17, 2014 |
"Rebirth" by Debbie Brown is a YA novel about a group of children age 16 to infant whose world is destroyed by aliens and they are forced to live on their own in the country without any adults or long lasting provisions. Aleksei, their leader was raised by missionaries in countries around the world. With the help of some survival books, they figure out a way to live for several months.

Up until the end, this is a pretty good book. The characters are clear, the way of life realistic, the only exception would be the baby. This baby spends a lot of time eating and sleeping and not doing a lot of baby like activities such as crying for no apparent reason for hours. That part could have been a little more accurate. It was a good book until the abrupt ending which was so ridiculous that it made me almost regret having read the rest of it. The ending came off like a bad sermon, going on about some lame idea of survival given to them by the aliens. If I were to go back in time I would stop about two or three chapters before the end. I received this book for free from www.librarything.com. ( )
  beckiestoneking | Feb 24, 2013 |
I received this book from librarything. I have to say that I enjoyed the book a lot. What I didn't like was that I received an electronic copy and the font keep changing and made it difficult to read. The story is about the earth collapsing around the characters and them having to learn to live on their own. The characters are 3 young teenagers and 3 young children. They have to figure out how to live with no adults around and how to survive with their own life experiences. Winter is hard but they are making it through, but know they can not stay where they are at for much longer. That is when they met the reason for the collapse of the world. They become a family and show the world how to live as one. It is a great read for young teenagers and adults alike. It will, or should teach you something. One thing I did notice is that it never really explained who or what the invaders really were. Would have like to know that ( )
  Hillgirl | Jan 17, 2013 |

Fleeing their homes in the city, three teens find themselves on the run with little kids in tow. As people vanish and buildings crumble, they seek shelter in the nearby mountains. Survival depends on their ability to adapt with nothing more than the items pilfered from a crumbling store. Hovering in the background is the constant threat of being discovered by the aliens, adding to the pressure the teens feel having no shelter, a limited supply of food and the well-being of three children to ensure. They must come up with some creative solutions before the inevitable onset of winter, while attempting to remain “invisible” to avoid capture. Being mature and responsible is no longer optional as they deal with their individual personalities, traumas, and learn to raise a baby. Unaware of the extent of the alien destruction, they can’t help but wonder if all their efforts are in vain.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:40 -0400)

Mythos Press

An edition of this book was published by Mythos Press.

GMTA Publishing, LLC

An edition of this book was published by GMTA Publishing, LLC.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,482,378 books! | Top bar: Always visible