The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club by…

The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club (edition 2012)

by Duncan Whitehead

Member:debavp
Title:The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club
Authors:Duncan Whitehead
Info:Dog Ear Publishing (2012), Paperback, 196 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, ARC, ER, Read

The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club by Duncan Whitehead

2013 (1) 2014 (1) American literature (1) ARC (2) audio (2) black comedy (1) chick lit (1) dark humor (2) ebook (5) ER (1) fiction (10) Georgia (2) hitman (1) Kindle (3) Mein Kampf (1) murder (3) murder for hire (2) mysteries (1) mystery (13) noir (1) November (1) own (1) quirky (1) read (3) satire (1) Savannah (3) series (1) suspense (3) to-read (22) USA (2)

Something just doesn't seem right in beautiful Gordonston. It may not be anything particularly noticeable, but something is most definitely peculiar about this charming little community in Savannah. Somewhere beneath the leafy shade of its trees and behind the friendly faces of its residents, not everything is as it appears. Something dark and destructive lurks behind the genteel southern facade.

The friends and fellow members of her afternoon cocktail club gather to reminisce and mourn the passing of Thelma Miller, but not everything is as it seems. As her three remaining friends gather together to reminisce about their memories of Thelma, to walk their dogs, and to gossip about their neighbors no one realizes just how little they actually know about each other. Apparently, it would seem that everyone who is anyone in Gordonston has something to hide. And, as such an intertwined web of lies and deceits insinuates itself into the middle class neighborhood, is anyone really who they seem to be?

When Thelma's closest friends begin vying for the attentions of her widower - local alderman and mayoral candidate, Elliott Miller - petty jealousies surface and a longstanding friendship begins to fray. A kindly elderly lady with an infamous uncle hides a dark secret, and plots revenge for a perceived wrong that was perpetrated against her family over thirty years before. A formerly illustrious children's author with secrets of his own is also haunted by memories of his past. And Kelly Hudd, a vivacious, bubbly newlywed - and aspiring model - has just won herself an all-expense paid trip to the destination of a lifetime.

An extraordinary cast of characters features strongly in this story of intrigue, deception and revenge; and some very intriguing questions come to mind. Questions such as: what exactly does a recently retired accountant have to keep from his lovely new bride? And just why would Carla Zipp - a former showgirl from Las Vegas and an attractive widow of only sixty-two - suddenly feel the need for plastic surgery? However, as long-buried secrets are unearthed and the lessons learned from history - both deeply-rooted and more recent - disintegrate and disappear from the collective psyche; a murderer stalks his next victim.

An enigmatic European gentleman befriends a young businessman in South America; a distinguished Italian count wanders the streets of Paris; and a charismatic, kind-hearted nephew - an altruistically-minded charity organizer based in India - returns to Savannah for a brief visit. As a mysterious organization with tenuous links to organized crime attempts to extend its influence around the globe; a handsome fire fighter who can do no wrong and a trio of widows with deeply hidden agendas round out this complex cast. Amid the thrilling twists and turns of a story that will lead to a stunning sucker punch of an ending, the Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club’s primary concern still remains the aesthetics of their neighborhood park - and locating the culprit who refuses to 'scoop' after his dog walking sessions in their treasured park.

I must say that it took me quite some time to finally read this book. It's been on my TBR pile for almost four years and I have only just gotten the chance to read it. To be perfectly honest, I don't know why I waited so long to read the book; I found that the story was very interesting and fast-paced.

I was caught up with the mystery right away and avidly wanted to see what would happen next. I'm curious to find out how the series will develop and give this book a solid A! In my opinion, this was an intriguing start to Mr. Whitehead's series, and I look forward to reading more from this author in the future. ( )
  rubyandthetwins | Apr 28, 2017 |
Cross Pushing Up Daisies with James Bond and you might get something like the Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club by Duncan Whitehead. Not that there are any paranormal aspects to this novel, but the voice reminds me consistently of Pushing Daisies’ slightly detached narration and amusing implausibility. There’s a murderer hiding in the trees of a high-class park. But the reader won’t be told until the end who is going to die. Meanwhile sweet old ladies plot violence, foolish young ones make dangerous mistakes, a widower tries to pick up the pieces, and the past, both recent and old, haunts everyone in its different ways.

Well-sprinkled clues allow the reader to rush ahead and guess, confirm, deny and change their mind, all in the space of a few passing pages. There’s a satisfying delight in trying to work out how or why someone might die, and then in wondering how one neighborhood can be so fraught with killing. But perhaps the dogs are innocent—the dogs are certainly sweet.

At the end, for all my happy guesswork, the author still had new surprises in store. But they’re well-planned and offer their own inevitability. Plus they open doors to inevitable sequels which I’m eager to read. A fun, light-hearted romp through very civilized murder and mayhem and very dark lives, Gordonston Ladies is highly recommended.

Disclosure: I borrowed it and I voluntarily offer my honest review ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Jan 27, 2017 |
This was simply a great read on so many levels. The twists and turns never stop and you have to stop and catch your breath at the end. What makes this book even more enjoyable than simply being one that's extremely well-written, is matching the characters' traits with people you know! I loved it. Don't think twice about spending time or money on this book. You won't do better! Kudos Mr. Whitehead, job well done! I sincerely hope this book was one in a series. I want more. ( )
  DianneDHarman | Sep 14, 2014 |
I will take this afternoon read, Southern Noir style with a twist. The members of the Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club meets in the park every afternoon to let their dogs romp, drink an afternoon cocktail, and most importantly gossip about the neighbors. It seems like a typical southern style community with the young and the old alike living their normal lives, but behind closed doors each has their own dirty little secrets. The question is: who gets theirs aired first? This is a fast-paced novel that will keep you guessing right up to the very last page. I would recommend it to anyone who likes revenge, mystery, and whodunnit novels. ( )
  sallyawolf | Feb 6, 2014 |
  sallyawolf | Feb 6, 2014 |

Something is not quite right in the leafy Savannah neighborhood of Gordonston.

As the friends and fellow members of her afternoon cocktail club gather to mourn the death and lament the life of their neighbor, Thelma Miller, not all is what it seems.

When old friends vie for the attention of widower, Alderman and mayoral candidate Elliott, jealousies surface and friendships are strained. An old woman with a dark secret and an infamous uncle plots her revenge for a perceived wrong done over thirty years before, a once successful children’s writer with his own secret is haunted by memories of the past and aspiring model Kelly Hudd has just won the trip of a lifetime.

As secrets are revealed and history, both old and recent unravel, and an intertwined web of deceits and lies surfaces in the middle class neighborhood a killer lurks and is anyone really who they seem to be?

An enigmatic European gentleman in South America, a young Italian count parading the streets of Paris and a charitable and kindhearted nephew recently arrived from India add to the remarkable assortment of characters in this story of intrigue, deceit and revenge.

What is the secret a recently retired accountant is trying to hide and just why did the former showgirl and attractive sixty two year old widow Carla Zipp really have plastic surgery?

A mysterious organization with links to organized crime, a handsome fire fighter who can do no wrong and a trio of widows with deep hidden agendas compound a story of simplistic complexity. As twists and turns lead the reader to a conclusion that they will not see coming and a sucker punch ending that will leave readers breathless, the Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club’s top priority remains the need to chastise the culprit who refuses to ‘scoop’ after his dog walking sessions in their treasured park.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Duncan Whitehead's book The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,229,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible