The Cornerstone by Anne C. Petty

The Cornerstone (edition 2013)

by Anne C. Petty

Member:Scerasoli
Title:The Cornerstone
Authors:Anne C. Petty
Info:JournalStone (2013), Paperback, 242 pages

The Cornerstone by Anne C. Petty

2013 (6) @EarlyReviewers (2) ARC (2) Atlanta (1) Banshee (3) banshees (2) December 12 (2) devil (2) Dunn (1) Early Review (2) Early Reviewers (12) ebook (13) ER (2) fantasy (4) Faust (4) fiction (5) heaven (1) hell (2) historical (3) horror (8) Kindle (2) magic (2) Marlowe (3) Mephistopheles (1) mystery (2) reviews (1) supernatural (4) theatre (2) thriller (3) to-read (1)

Interesting story. Horror, action, mystery, ghosts, an old theater. Really enjoyed this more than I thought I would by the cover. ( )
  hredwards | May 11, 2014 |
I received this book via LibraryThing's Early Reviewers

This was a dark, moody book delving into the Faustian dilemma on several levels. It sets the mood immediately, sending us to 1581 to witness a sinister conjuring and entrapment to serve selfish needs.

In present day, our protagonist, Claire, takes a break from her paramedic job and caring for her ill mother by working with an acting troupe putting on the Faustus play. When she inquires about a wounded and missing actor, she unwittingly gets caught up in a horrifying situation.

I enjoyed this story, and would have loved to see more of the story filled out to give more details and depth into the stories from the past and present. The mysterious stranger, Tom, was interesting and I want to know more of his story. ( )
  leesalogic | Dec 8, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Cornerstone is an interesting take on the famous Faustus story. A local theater is putting on a production of the play, and the director has a mysterious supernatural connection to the original author. Strange things begin happening, and the protagonist, Claire, tries to figure out what is going on.

The book is pretty well-written, and definitely original, but lost me quite a bit when time travel started occurring. The book started to get really hokey from there, and I had to push through to the end. ( )
  seasonsoflove | Oct 5, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this ebook from LibraryThing Early Reviewers. An interesting take on the Faust story mixing historical supernatural events and moderns day. A bit of a slow read that took a while to get into but well written and keeps you guessing and wondering what will happen next. ( )
  LongDogMom | Sep 27, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A nice mix of historical fiction and supernatural. I thought it would be kind of cheesy based on the cover but it was actually quite entertaining. I wished it would have been more horror, though. It wasn't really scary. ( )
  CurrLee33 | Sep 2, 2013 |

How do you catch a banshee? But more importantly, if you succeed, how can you hope to survive the ordeal? The consequences of such dark magic are high, and if you try to let go once you?ve got that tiger by the tail, it may cost your very soul! Atlanta is a cosmopolitan, theater-going city that supports its fair share of the arts. But when a small theatrical company takes on the production of Christopher Marlowe?s famous play, Dr. Faustus, in the century-old Janus Theater, things don?t go as planned. Unexplained stage effects appear as cast members disappear, accidents seem more than coincidence, and an earthquake splits a busy downtown thoroughfare. Oh, and did we mention the rumored ghost in the basement? Paramedic Claire Porter thinks her volunteer prompter?s job with the company will give her some relief from her stressful day job, and it is fun, at first. But as they say, the Devil is in the details.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Cornerstone by Anne C. Petty was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,333,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible