The burning time by J G. Faherty

The burning time (edition 2013)

by J G. Faherty

Member:Xvanajis
Title:The burning time
Authors:J G. Faherty
Info:San Mateo, CA : JournalStone, 2013.
Rating:**

The Burning Time by J G Faherty

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a pretty good strangers-come-to-small-town horror story with Cthulhu trappings.

Two strangers come to town: one a preacher, one a jack-of-all trades kind of guy. As is usual in these stories, one of these guys is the bad guy, the other is the hero. I like those kind of stories.

One thing I've learned in a lot of strangers-come-to-small-town stories is that sometimes it's the small town that's horrifying and terrible to strangers rather than the other way around! In this story it spirals even more quickly into a horrible mess when a Cthulhu cultist starts making trouble.

Journalstone doesn't disappoint with their horror fare, and Faherty tells a strange horror story that fits right in the weird/dark tales genre. ( )
  leesalogic | Feb 28, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Fans of Lovecraft should especially enjoy this story of good versus evil. Fans of mythology in general may have to overlook a few annoyances (as mentioned by several other reviewers: The Trickster is not inherently Evil despite the conflation among some Western cultures. Western Christianity, I'm looking at you.) Beware if you're not a fan of gore; This isn't "splatterpunk," but it's certainly more than Lovecraft himself would have ever dreamed of including.

Faherty does a great job with the characterisation of his two Strangers. Some of the other characters are a bit two-dimensional (or, in some cases, one-dimensional), but those are mostly background characters, so I can forgive it. The horror is truly horrifying, with the townspeople slowly descending into insanity. The magic is satisfying, if a bit on the convenient side at times. Romance... well, let's just say that's not Faherty's strong suit. But we'll let that slide since the relationships otherwise are strong, especially that between the hero and the young boy. ( )
  moniqueleigh | Feb 18, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Not the best read. I started this book many times and never finished it. Just couldn't get inyo it. ( )
  Wickedmick | Sep 28, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Although the story is as old as time itself--good vs. evil--I enjoyed the plot and the characters and I was pulled along through the tale quite easily. THere were times my anxiety level was quite high, because it just felt like evil was winning. I would have to put it down and walk away. And that's a successful story.

There were moments of lag, but not many and I just suspended my disbelief with a few elements and took the ride. (I think the town was won over a bit too quickly, but evil's powers are impressive.)

I would recommend this book. I'm quite happy to have it next to my Stephen King collection in my bookcase. ( )
  DanaJean | Jul 25, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an excellent book about the old fight of good versus evil and how common, everyday folks, under the influence of a charismatic stranger, can become twisted monsters they never would have imagined. If you're a Lovecraft aficionado, you'll definitely enjoy this novel. ( )
  LJF | Jul 20, 2013 |

An ancient evil has come to Hastings Mills, and only one man can stop it. Wherever The Stranger goes, evil follows. Wild dogs roam the fields. Townspeople turn on each other in murderous fury. Innocent women throw themselves off bridges. Swimmers disappear, victims of a deadly beast that haunts their waters. And the worst is still yet to come. The Stranger plans to open a gateway to the nether realms and release the Elder Gods to bring forth Chaos on Earth. Only one man knows the truth, a country mage whose family has fought The Stranger before. But can he defeat his ageless enemy before Hastings Mills is nothing but a smoking ruin and the townspeople become unwilling blood sacrifices to the Old Ones? With only the help of a young woman and her teenage son, he will have to use all of his arcane knowledge to thwart his adversary and prevent the final apocalypse. In Hastings Mills, The Burning Time has arrived.… (more)

J G Faherty is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Burning Time` by J G Faherty was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,487,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible