The burning time by J G. Faherty

The burning time (edition 2013)

by J G. Faherty

Member:LizPhoto
Title:The burning time
Authors:J G. Faherty
Info:San Mateo, CA : JournalStone, 2013.
Tags:E-BOOK

The Burning Time by J G Faherty

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I loved this book! the action was there, as was the suspense. Faherty is a master storyteller, his writing makes it easy for the reader to picture the scenery and the characters with vivid clarity. I eagerly await the next volumes of this series. Highly recommended. ( )
  Archivist13 | Nov 26, 2014 |
I got this book from the Early Reviewers for an honest review.

This book is pretty good for a mythos tale. If you like Lovecraft, this book is for you. I thought it was great how the town went nuts and turned on each other. The author really knows his lore! ( )
  lesindy | Nov 1, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As an enormous fan of Lovecraft's works, it was the promise of his eldritch horrors which drew me to this book. All told, I enjoyed this book tremendously even though I was initially afraid of another author using Lovecraft's memorable concepts. Would definitely recommend this to anyone who liked Lovecraft.

-PT ( )
  PhilipTroy | Sep 7, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a pretty good strangers-come-to-small-town horror story with Cthulhu trappings.

Two strangers come to town: one a preacher, one a jack-of-all trades kind of guy. As is usual in these stories, one of these guys is the bad guy, the other is the hero. I like those kind of stories.

One thing I've learned in a lot of strangers-come-to-small-town stories is that sometimes it's the small town that's horrifying and terrible to strangers rather than the other way around! In this story it spirals even more quickly into a horrible mess when a Cthulhu cultist starts making trouble.

Journalstone doesn't disappoint with their horror fare, and Faherty tells a strange horror story that fits right in the weird/dark tales genre. ( )
  leesalogic | Feb 28, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Fans of Lovecraft should especially enjoy this story of good versus evil. Fans of mythology in general may have to overlook a few annoyances (as mentioned by several other reviewers: The Trickster is not inherently Evil despite the conflation among some Western cultures. Western Christianity, I'm looking at you.) Beware if you're not a fan of gore; This isn't "splatterpunk," but it's certainly more than Lovecraft himself would have ever dreamed of including.

Faherty does a great job with the characterisation of his two Strangers. Some of the other characters are a bit two-dimensional (or, in some cases, one-dimensional), but those are mostly background characters, so I can forgive it. The horror is truly horrifying, with the townspeople slowly descending into insanity. The magic is satisfying, if a bit on the convenient side at times. Romance... well, let's just say that's not Faherty's strong suit. But we'll let that slide since the relationships otherwise are strong, especially that between the hero and the young boy. ( )
  moniqueleigh | Feb 18, 2014 |

An ancient evil has come to Hastings Mills, and only one man can stop it. Wherever The Stranger goes, evil follows. Wild dogs roam the fields. Townspeople turn on each other in murderous fury. Innocent women throw themselves off bridges. Swimmers disappear, victims of a deadly beast that haunts their waters. And the worst is still yet to come. The Stranger plans to open a gateway to the nether realms and release the Elder Gods to bring forth Chaos on Earth. Only one man knows the truth, a country mage whose family has fought The Stranger before. But can he defeat his ageless enemy before Hastings Mills is nothing but a smoking ruin and the townspeople become unwilling blood sacrifices to the Old Ones? With only the help of a young woman and her teenage son, he will have to use all of his arcane knowledge to thwart his adversary and prevent the final apocalypse. In Hastings Mills, The Burning Time has arrived.… (more)

J G Faherty is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Burning Time` by J G Faherty was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,342,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible