Keeping Christ in Ministry by Dr. John H.…

Keeping Christ in Ministry (edition 2012)

by Dr. John H. Harbison

Collections:Your library, 2013, Early Reviewer
Rating:***

Keeping Christ in Ministry by John H. Harbison

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is fascinating in its subject matter and in its scope. I enjoyed reading it and looking up the Scriptures that he referred to (which are many). It is not often that you find a popular book with so much depth outside of an academic theology available. But then again, this is his theology of ministry as it should relate to Christ. Sit back and get ready for a great set of lessons on the life of Christ and how it should impact the way ministry is done. ( )
  MAPitcher | May 9, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A very thought provoking book in which the author reminds us that keeping Jesus at the heart of our ministry, what ever that may be, is crucial to having a successful ministry. ( )
  ambrithill | Apr 8, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found the premise of this book interesting - a recognition that all Christian ministries are part of, and should be modeled after Jesus' own ministry, rather than what happens to fashionable at the time, leading to reflections on the different aspects of Christ's ministry that we should seek to enter into and how we should make that part of our own ministries.

Sadly, I felt that the book did not really live up to its own stated aims all that well. It felt more like a series of devotional readings on the character of Jesus, and if viewed as such they do make sense. However, this seems at odds with the stated intention, and I would have preferred to see a greater emphasis on the applications to our own lives of the different aspects of Jesus' ministry.

I had other problems, such as the rather narrow set of sources referred to, and the sometimes confusing arguments (for example, in the introduction Harbison states, correctly in my opinion, that churches cannot rely on specific activities or programmes as a guarantee of success, but rather should seek to share in Christ's ministry; however in a later chapter he criticises some churches for stopping having weekly prayer meetings).

I should note that Dr Harbison comes from a more conservative church background than me, I was aware of this as I read the book and I hope that it has not negatively affected my review. However, I am aware that this difference may have played some part in my views. ( )
  mysticed | Mar 16, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It is a very thorough book, it encompasses much of the ministry. It reads more like a text book and has the chapters divided into sections where Jesus ministry is broken down into relevant areas and then culminates into a merging of it into our ministry. It is a little difficult to read but if information is important enough it will more than accomplish that. ( )
  cbikl | Feb 6, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Dr Harbison's Keeping Christ in Ministry explores the concept that the basis of Christian ministry is Christ himself and therefore contemporary ministers must pay attention to how their work is bound up in Christ's work.

Some of the ministries identified are commonly recognised in current practice, such as prophet and teacher. Other choices though are less obvious, such as "Jesus the Light" or "Jesus the Immanuel". However, these are the riches of the book. For example, Harbinson's summary of "Immanuel ministry" is that Christ was God with us and we follow in his train by representing God to those around us. Each chapter in the bulk of the book follows a similar pattern and it can feel a touch repetitive at times; perhaps the answer is to treat it as a resource to meditate on over time rather than (in reviewer mode) a work to read from cover to cover as quickly as possible?

It is worth noting that the ebook edition I reviewed was greatly extended by two sets of supplementary material. The first was three chapters from another book by the same publisher (John Bornschein’s The Front Line: A Prayer Warrior’s Guide to Spiritual Battle); the second was the text of every Bible reference given in the book. Bonus material is a nice idea but these account for half the length of the volume, which means your ereader is burdened with a volume that takes twice as much space as it needs to. A single page with links to two free downloads would have been a more medium-friendly approach. I would give Harbison's content a 4/5 rating but this encumbered edition only 3/5. ( )
  wulf | Feb 6, 2013 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Keeping Christ in Ministry by was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,469,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible