The Facade: Special Edition by Michael S.…

The Facade: Special Edition (edition 2012)

by Michael S. Heiser

Info:Kirkdale Press (2012), Edition: 2, Kindle Edition, 532 pages
Rating:***

The Facade: Special Edition by Michael S. Heiser

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I gave this book two stars because maybe I'm not its public. I'm not a very religious person and found the plot of religion and ETs/UFOs too hard to take. I could have given it a 3, or even a 3 and 1/2 stars, if I hadn't lost my attention in a few sections from the story line because of its long and drawn out plot explanation (religion x ET). ( )
  Cristiane.Serruya | Jul 15, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This could have been a brilliant book - a secret organization masterminding a conspiracy to get the world "used to" the idea that extraterrestrials exist and are here. Unfortunately, it's not brilliant, it's a bit of a mess. The pacing is all wrong; there's way to much exposition and setup to the story. The characters are cardboard and easily slotted into the usual stereotypes for this kind of story. The religious aspects were heavy-handed.

Ultimately, I just didn't buy the premise, though. It would be easy to manipulate the public into accepting UFOs. Just flood the market with books and movies about aliens, and build stories like the Roswell crash into our culture. Uh, kinda like Hollywood's been doing for the last few decades....

Anyway, the book's flaws are many and I just can't recommend it. ( )
  drneutron | Feb 14, 2013 |
~~~ Read the full review at http://www.robbflynn.com/?p=2257 ~~~

There’s lots to like about Michael S. Heiser’s The Facade. There’s also a lot to dislike. As a novel, I think it fails. Utterly and miserably. As a scholarly exploration, however, I found it intriguing and compelling.

And that’s where the difficulty comes in offering some insight into The Facade.

Let’s get the story part out of the way first, I suppose, so we can end on a high note.

The premise is a strong one. A secret agency, both within the government and, yet, outside its purview, is gathering some of the greatest scientific and theologic minds in the United States. Gathering them forcefully, I should add. Their task? To ready the world, specifically the world’s religions, for the coming of extra-terrestrials.

The concept is brilliant. The execution… not so much.

~~~ Read the full review at http://www.robbflynn.com/?p=2257 ~~~ ( )
  RobbFlynn | Feb 5, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
How does your religion and the possibility of extraterrestrials mix? That's what this book is all about! I enjoyed reading this book and at the same time found it a bit disconcerting as well. Not sure I believe everything has happened, but do I think it could happen? Why not? I enjoyed the development of the budding friendship/romance between the 2 main characters, but am starting to feel quite duped by authors that leave us hanging (like here) to read the sequel. Yes - I will read the sequel because I want to know what happens next. I got a little bogged down in the middle when everyone was talking in depth and details about some of the religious context and on the other hand the book ended quite abruptly. ( )
  Laura_Corbett | Feb 1, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
First-time author Michael S. Heiser crafts an absorbing supernatural thriller colored from the backdrop of UFO lore and Biblical theology. The story is fiction, but the author stresses that the historical UFO accounts, and subsequent official quotes, are real. Whether you believe that or not, and in my opinion it's not necessary that you do, Heister's The Facade is a fine read.

Some mentions: The narrative pacing is quick and balanced—the urgency never lets up. The interactions between the players are fun even though there's a lot of standing around in groups and talking, and it didn't help that some of the minor characters are hard to distinguish from one another. And lastly, a wish of mine, I would like to have seen more personal failings in Dr. Scott's past. I know this goes against his Christian integrity, but I feel he would be a stronger character because of it. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Jan 28, 2013 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Facade: Special Edition by Michael S. Heiser was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,437,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible