The New Normal by Ashley Little

The New Normal (edition 2013)

by Ashley Little

Member:Reesa111
Title:The New Normal
Authors:Ashley Little
Info:Orca Book Publishers (2013), Paperback, 232 pages
Collections:Early Reviewers, Read, Your library, Favorites

The New Normal by Ashley Little

Tamar loses her sisters, then her hair. Mom leaves for Yoga retreat, dad breaks a leg.
  ConnieS-C | Aug 8, 2014 |
This #bookaday Canadian YA was good, but it didn't stand out for me. There are quite a few novels for young adults on the theme of grief that have better developed characters, in my opinion. I think teens will like it, but for uniqueness and literary quality, it was just okay. ( )
  ydenomy | Jun 30, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This felt like a debut novel, one that didn't quite get enough polish. I like Tamar as a character but there are so many things thrown in to the story that some of it just gets lost.

Tamar's twin sisters die in a car crash and her family, understandably, falls apart. As part of the stress of this loss Tamar starts to lose her hair, all of it, eyelashes, eyebrows, arm hair, the hair on her head. In the midst of this crisis she's trying to continue on with her life by trying out for the school play, looking for work, and playing in the chess club. Meanwhile, she's watching her parents drift ever further apart as her dad turns to drinking and her mom turns to yoga to cover their pain.

I hope that Ashley Little will continue to write because I think we'll see good things from her in the future.
  Deedledee | Apr 1, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book took me by surprise! I didn't expect to get so taken in by it! Once I started it I couldn't put it down till I finished it! Tamar was such a strong, likeable narrator and her story - while unique - was still relatable. It was a really enjoyable read! ( )
  meggers12 | Mar 31, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Her twins sisters were killed in a tragic car crash. Her parents are stuck in a depressed stupor because of this loss. She has lost all the hair on her body. Tamar has been plunged into a new normal and she has to carry on with her life as if everything were the same. Many students at school do not "get" Tamar's personality, but Roy does. Thankfully, Roy sticks out the toughness with Tamar as her best friend, and in the end he gets the girl.
The plot of this book jumps around to several possibilities, so at times I felt confused. Many of the descriptions in the novel were not pertinent to the plot, so I skipped through some sections. Thankfully, I liked Tamar because she had the strength to keep living her life even though she could have shut down like her parents. This redeeming quality kept me turning the pages. The New Normal is suitable for middle grades and young adult readers. ( )
  lms8esmith | Mar 20, 2013 |
For Mom and Dad.

Tamar Robinson knows more a lot about loss and regret, more than any teenager should. Her younger sisters are dead, her parents are adrift in a sea of grief, and now Tamar is losing her hair.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The New Normal by Ashley Little was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,098,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible