Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked…

Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us (2013)

by Michael Moss

Recently added byprivate library, kinlawlibrary, dblang, dugmel, vegetrendian, BrookeAshley, g_g_, Argenta_Library

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A sobering examination of commercial food's hyperutilization of sugar, salt and fat, intentionally aimed at increasing the products' addictive hold and increasing sales. Michael Moss compellingly details how corporate bottom lines override the consequences to customers' health and well being. Shocking to learn just how much more sugar, salt and fat has been added over the years to products than what I remembered as a kid. Read this book and you will look at food marketing and processed foods with a jaundiced eye. ( )
  michigantrumpet | Sep 4, 2014 |
finally, finished this book. ( )
  fighterofevil | Aug 26, 2014 |
As the obesity issue in North America becomes critical, we want to be informed consumers. This fine piece of investigative journalism by Pulitzer Prize winning journalist Moss is not so much a shocking exposé of the processed food industry as confirmation of what we’ve suspected all along.

Moss’s intent in writing this book was “If nothing else . . . as a wake-up call to the issues and tactics at play in the food industry, to the fact that we are not helpless in facing them down. . . Knowing all this can be empowering. You can walk through the grocery store and, while the brightly colored packaging and empty promises are still mesmerizing, you can see the products for what they are.”

Read this if: you’re concerned about the growing obesity levels in North America; or you are determined to make informed choices about your diet. 4½ stars ( )
  ParadisePorch | Jul 12, 2014 |
This book is packed with facts.

At least I think they are facts. All of the authors citations are inconveniently at the end of the book. There isn't any indication while reading that the author is telling facts or opinion....which is annoying (I prefer directive foot or end notes so I can tell exactly what facts are coming from where).

But in the book is a pretty scary story that I do believe is true. All of our (processed) food is stripped of its nutritional values to increase profit for companies, extend shelf life, and get us to eat more.

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
This one is a game changer. I will never look at cereal the same way again. ( )
  Jillian_Kay | May 15, 2014 |
There is a certain enlightened segment of America that relishes a good gastro-scolding, whether delivered gently by a Michael Pollan (“Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants”) or more vituperatively by a Mark Bittman (“In the time it takes to go into a McDonald’s, stand in line, order, wait, pay and leave, you could make oatmeal for four while taking your vitamins, brushing your teeth and half-unloading the dishwasher”). But there is a much larger segment of America whose members heedlessly eat processed foods that make them overweight and unwell. Michael Moss, a dogged investigative reporter who neither scolds nor proselytizes, is here for them.
added by lorax | editNew York Times, David Kamp (Mar 15, 2013)

Michael Mossprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first thing to know about sugar is this: Our bodies are hard-wired for sweets.

The author explores his theory that the food industry's used three essential ingredients to control much of the world's diet.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Salt Sugar Fat by Michael Moss was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,710,212 books! | Top bar: Always visible