Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked…

Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us (2013)

by Michael Moss

7015713,562 (4)77

Some interesting parts, but somewhat boring and repetitive. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
It seems the majority of the packaged foods we eat are no longer foods, but foodstuff that tastes like food. If you haven't already started thinking about what you eat or what is involved with the mass production of packaged foods, this is a good place to start. Each section, Salt, Sugar and Fat, can be read independently of each other. As such, there are a few points that are repeated, but not to the point of distraction. ( )
  Sovranty | Aug 7, 2015 |
I stopped reading this after finishing the first section, the section about fat. There are interesting stories here about food design, such as the "bliss point", and the statistics about food obesity, and the corporate life in the food industry, but I decided to skip ahead to the last chapter and declare that I'm done. The arc of the book is obvious. The way the food industry designs their products does not have the public health as its first object. Profit is. I may return to read the stories involved in fat and salt but not right now. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
This is a deeply interesting book about how, in order to maximise profits our food has been tailored to be as close to addictive as makes little or no difference and this has caused huge problems with health and other issues. There are also huge problems with research on nutrition and food being mostly conducted or supported by big food conglomerates, making it difficult to get research that is for the well-being of people and not the well-being of a corporation.

It made me think a lot about the foods I eat and how I should help myself. It asks more questions than it answers and one of the most interesting things he does is talk about the diets of some of the executives and senior scientists. ( )
  wyvernfriend | May 27, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book basically makes it impossible to go to the grocery store without rethinking everything you've ever bought. I mean, I never thought processed food was good for me, but I don't think I realized how bad it is either. I certainly didn't realize how manipulating most food companies are or how interconnected they have become over time. To be honest, it paints a rather bleak picture for consumers. We lead these fast paced lives and these companies have cashed in on our lifestyles. The take away, I think, is to be informed and to continue making these food companies be more transparent in what they offer consumers.

As for the book itself, it's structured into three parts - sugar, fat and salt. I appreciated this approach because it let him focus on what each ingredient truly does to processed food. While a little dry and repetitive in places, it was well researched and the author did not interject himself into the narrative very much. I would recommend this to anyone wanting to know a little bit more about where their food comes from.

BTW: I never received my 2012 Early Reviewer copy of this book. I checked the book out via my library and reviewed it in 2015. ( )
  rosylibrarian | Mar 5, 2015 |
There is a certain enlightened segment of America that relishes a good gastro-scolding, whether delivered gently by a Michael Pollan (“Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants”) or more vituperatively by a Mark Bittman (“In the time it takes to go into a McDonald’s, stand in line, order, wait, pay and leave, you could make oatmeal for four while taking your vitamins, brushing your teeth and half-unloading the dishwasher”). But there is a much larger segment of America whose members heedlessly eat processed foods that make them overweight and unwell. Michael Moss, a dogged investigative reporter who neither scolds nor proselytizes, is here for them.
added by lorax | editNew York Times, David Kamp (Mar 15, 2013)

Michael Mossprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first thing to know about sugar is this: Our bodies are hard-wired for sweets.

The author explores his theory that the food industry's used three essential ingredients to control much of the world's diet.

424 wanted4 pay4 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Salt Sugar Fat by Michael Moss was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,716,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible