God Gave Us Easter by Lisa Tawn Bergren

God Gave Us Easter (edition 2013)

by Lisa Tawn Bergren, Laura J. Bryant (Illustrator)

Member:Bandings
Title:God Gave Us Easter
Authors:Lisa Tawn Bergren
Other authors:Laura J. Bryant (Illustrator)
Info:
Collections:Your library, Children's, Teen's, Tween's books
Rating:**

God Gave Us Easter by Lisa Tawn Bergren

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a sweet book. I personally didn't enjoy it as much as some of her other books, but my 6-yr-old daughter loved it. ( )
  msh09 | Mar 30, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book from a Librarything.com giveaway. I was excited to receive it, but somewhat disappointed in it once I read it. It is confusing, especially for a child. The author tried to give the overall, broad picture of the Gospel, rather than focus on the actual event of the resurrection of Christ. That's not a bad thing, in general, but in a book obviously written for young children, it just results in confusion.
  milliebeverly | Mar 22, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Another great adition to the God Gave Us series. Excellent polar bear illutrations and a great message will make this a yearly (and year round) favorite.

I received this book from the Library Thing Early Reviewer program. ( )
  antmusic | Mar 19, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers.

Little Cub is celebrating Easter with her family and as she takes a walk with Papa, he explains the meaning of Easter to her.

The illustrations are absolutely lovely. I really enjoyed them. The colors are vivid and the images are sweet.

I did not care for the story. It was told in a very boring, matter-of-fact way. In fact, it came across very preachy to me. The author tries to use the nature that is surrounding the bears to illustrate points in the story but nothing felt cohesive to me. ( )
  ad_astra | Mar 17, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I like this story more than other titles in the "God Gave Us" series, in that it talks about Easter as a fulfilment of the promise of Christmas and tries to pull symbolism out of the cultural facets of the celebration of Easter. The author, as always, has a meandering style to her writing that perhaps moves at the pace of a child's questioning but doesn't satisfy me with the depth or focus of its answers. The book alludes to Jesus' death but never gets into the specifics, so this seems to me like more the kind of book you would use to supplement your child's Bible study and to help soften the difficult subject of addressing death with your child rather than a witnessing tool, as you can not understand the whole Easter story from this book alone. There is also an implication that God decided to send Jesus to die for us because humans broke their promise to obey after the flood. The author earlier refers to the Easter story as part of "a bigger story [God] had in mind for a long, long time," so I don't think she is intentional in her implication. However, she seems to have a pattern of being careless like that in her books, and children are no less deserving or needy of careful theology. I appreciate the overall effort here, and the illustrations are especially beautiful in this book, but I always walk away from Berggren's stories feeling that she could have spent a little more time editing and polishing her presentation. ( )
  quaintlittlehead | Feb 9, 2013 |

"God loved us so much he wanted us to always be with him too. That’s why God knew he’d need to give us Easter.”

As Little Cub celebrates Easter with Papa, Mama, and her brother and sister, she begins to ask her papa questions about this very special day of the year.  Papa lovingly explains God’s plans for his children, while taking Little Cub on a memorable walk through her stunning Arctic world, and he shares how Easter came about in clear, simple terms that even the littlest cubs can understand.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:03 -0400)

Little Cub talks with her father and learns about God's design for the Easter season and what it really means to Little Cub and her polar bear family.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

God Gave Us Easter by Lisa Bergren was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,418,566 books! | Top bar: Always visible