Goblin Fruit by Laini Taylor

Goblin Fruit

by Laini Taylor

Rich and interesting worldbuilding

There were many little intriguing details dropped about Kizzy's family and their customs that made me wish I could read a full-length novel that takes place in this world. For such a short piece, I didn't really expect the world to come alive to this extent. It's my favorite part of Goblin Fruit and, at times, the main/only thing that kept my interest while reading the story. It's also what nudged a 2-star rating to a 3 for me.

/- Solid characterization that got increasingly two dimensional as the story went

Kizzy started off as a pretty interesting character, and we quickly get a good feel for what she's like. The strength in characterization, I believe, ties in with both the worldbuilding and the vivid prose. But then instead of growing more depth as the story continued, the characterization got redundant and kept reiterating the same things about Kizzy, until finally, her character took a dive for the flat and cliché once Jack Husk (the love interest) entered the picture.

Kizzy went from a three dimensional character to a two dimensional one, and that's a real shame because she had the potential to be very awesome.

/- Beautifully descriptive prose that felt heavy-handed by the end

I really enjoyed the prose at first, so full of delightful description and similes/metaphors. The prose, I think, plays a big factor in why I enjoyed the worldbuilding/backstory as well as Kizzy's characterization early on. I do, however, think the author laid it on too thick (or perhaps too often). It felt like every other sentence is another simile, another metaphor which had the dual effect of making the story feel increasingly sluggish while also making it tiresome to read.

On the whole...

Goblin Fruit started out with a lot of potential but fell short in the second half, especially after Jack Husk came into the picture. Kizzy's character became bland and the ending really didn't do much for me. The writing, too, started off wonderfully but by the end, I had the impression that it was trying too hard while also being too redundant.

In short, I liked the first half but not so much the second half of the story. ( )
  colorwalk | Oct 6, 2015 |

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,868,018 books! | Top bar: Always visible