The astronaut wives club : a true story by…

The astronaut wives club : a true story (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Lily Koppel

Member:bgherman
Title:The astronaut wives club : a true story
Authors:Lily Koppel
Info:New York : Grand Central Publishing, 2013.
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Bookmooch

The Astronaut Wives Club: A True Story by Lily Koppel (2013)

In theory, Astronaut Wives Club is the kind of book I should love: it’s about a topic I find fascinating (space exploration), centers the unsung/unexplored experiences of women, and happens to be a true story. Unfortunately, I walked away thinking this would have been a great magazine article, but, at least as Lily Koppel wrote it, it made a lousy book. This book wants to focus on a wide group of women, and sacrifices pretty much all of its depth to do it. Just when the book would touch on a substantive topic like the toll the missions and public attention took on the wives, it flitted off again to focus on dresses and parties and parades. Don’t get me wrong, I love a pretty party dress as much as the next girl, but that’s not what I picked this book up for. I hope that some author in the future revisits this topic, focusing on 2 or 3 of the wives in a greater detail and recording the psychological and physical toll space exploration took on these women. It would do their contributions to our space program justice in a way this book simply did not. ( )
  Jthierer | Apr 20, 2019 |
DNF. This was terribly written and did not do these women justice. I could not take it anymore!
  kemilyh1988 | Apr 12, 2019 |
It was intriguing to see the women behind the famous men, but none of the wives were very distinct to me. ( )
  Bodagirl | Feb 10, 2019 |
Astronaut Wives Club: A True Story by Lily Koppel is a woman's take on the women involved in the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo space programs. Unfortunately, the only women involved in these ventures into space were the wives of the astronauts. In all, I found that the book was rather light weight. There had to be much going on in all these women's lives, and the book didn't go into any of these multifaceted personalities and their relationships with husbands, children, communities, the government, or NASA. All or any of these would have made a great book. Because the lives of the astronauts were so closely controlled by NASA the lives of their families and their wives was as well. It was apparent that the contracts with NASA allowing the press unlimited access to these families was a grave interruption and imposition into the lives of these women. How they coped with it was the main focus of the book, but I thought the author let the government and NASA off lightly. There was no bad word in the book about the way NASA treated these women or about the outlandish requirements that they made of them. I would call this a good basic women's history of this part of the space program, but if you want to know what really went on this might not be the book for you. ( )
  benitastrnad | Jan 31, 2019 |
From the inception of the Space Age to its end, The book follows the women behind the famous men. Excellent reading. ( )
  wearylibrarian | Dec 28, 2018 |
Lily Koppel's history tells the story of the women behind the astronauts, from Project Mercury--which launched the first American into space in 1961--to the Apollo program, which landed a man on the Moon eight years later. Focusing on this tight-knit sisterhood offers a new window into America's ambitious age of exploration. It's a fairly comprehensive overview--to both its credit and detriment. While Koppel's thoroughness is impressive, the book often barely skims the surface of these women's lives, and there are so many characters that it's hard to keep them straight. . . . Occasionally a sense of the women's steely strength cuts through, but there's an awful lot of fluff in the way.
added by sgump | editSmithsonian, Chloë Schama (Jun 1, 2013)

For the wives, who have the "right stuff"
To be an astronaut wife meant tea with Jackie Kennedy, high-society galas, and instant celebrity.

"Bestselling author Lily Koppel reveals for the first time the stories and secrets of America's unsung heroes-the wives of our original astronauts"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,198,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible