Stupid Perfect World (HarperTeen Impulse) by…

Stupid Perfect World (HarperTeen Impulse) (edition 2012)

by Scott Westerfeld

343329,500 (4)None
Member:yrchmonger
Title:Stupid Perfect World (HarperTeen Impulse)
Authors:Scott Westerfeld
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Kindle Edition
Collections:Kindle eBooks, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, dystopia, young adult, romance, science fiction

Stupid Perfect World by Scott Westerfeld

As far as I can tell this is a stand alone novella set in the far future of earth with teleportation, perfect health and no need for sleep. teens take a class on called "Scarcity" and each has to live for two weeks giving up something that people in the past had to contend with. The POV character chooses sleep, another has her hormone balances turned off, another decides to suffer the common cold and so on. Kiernan has chosen sleep but needs help with it since he did no background study on it and another classmate that chose to let her hormones run wild helps him with the project. With hormones running wild, poor choices abound but it all comes out ok by the end of the story. Once I finished it I wanted to read more about the world setup but not necessarily these characters.
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
Shortish story (ebook) about what people do in a future of zero scarcity—make their kids take Scarcity class, where the final project is to experience something the way people used to, which in the protagonists’ cases are respectively to sleep (and dream) and to shut off hormone regulation so that she experiences the same rush of emotions as a non-regulated teenager. This leads to self-discovery and romance. It’s got some cute bits, like the kid who complains about having to travel by boat instead of teleporting: “‘Capsizing, Mr. Solomon!’ Lao said. ‘That’s a special word just for ships turning upside down. I checked in headspace, and I couldn’t find a single word for trains turning upside down! Or cars or hovercraft—just ships. Think about it!’” And the male narrator on Hamlet: “We’d been practicing this scene for hours, trying to get the blocking right. Most of this was William Shakespeare’s fault; it’s pretty hard to switch two swords in the middle of a fight by accident. Come on.” (Though he’s wrong about that with good performers, it’s still funny.) ( )
  rivkat | May 17, 2013 |
I am so sad that this isn't a full-length novel. This is a really unique story that I enjoyed immensely.

Basically it's a world set far in the future where pretty much every disease, illness, or general "bad" or inconvenient malady is eradicated; even sleep. The kids in a class called Scarcity have to each choose one of these things to endure for awhile. Stupid Perfect World show of the experiences through the eyes of Kieran, who must now sleep, and Maria, who lets her hormones go all wild.

It was extremely interesting to read Scott Westerfeld's take on this and the story seriously had be sucked in and left wanting for much more. I found myself so immersed in this world and with these very enjoyable characters that 80-something pages just wasn't enough time.

This was, however, my first taste of Westerfeld's work and I really liked what I got. I'll be looking into his novels very, very soon and hopefully getting some more of this great story-telling.

Original review at http://backporchreader.blogspot.com ( )
  bryantkeli | Mar 4, 2013 |

In this future-set novella by bestselling author Scott Westerfeld, Kieran Black lives in a "perfect" world. Disease and starvation have been eradicated, sleep is unnecessary, and it takes no time at all to go from the Bahamas to the moon. But now Kieran has to take Scarcity, a class about how people lived in the bad old days. And as if sitting through an hour of Scarcity every day wasn't depressing enough, it's final projects time. Each student must choose some form of ancient hardship to experience for two whole weeks. Kieran chooses having to sleep eight hours a night, which doesn't seem too annoying. Maria Borsotti has never thought much of Kieran, but she decides to take pity on him and help him out with his project. Soon, Kieran is sleeping and having vivid dreams, while Maria, whose Scarcity project is to give up all teenage hormone regulation, is experiencing emotions she never knew she had. As their assignments draw them closer together, they begin to wonder if the olden days weren't so bad. Maybe something has been missing from their perfect lives after all?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,128,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible