Stupid Perfect World (HarperTeen Impulse) by…

Stupid Perfect World (HarperTeen Impulse) (edition 2012)

by Scott Westerfeld

Member:yrchmonger
Title:Stupid Perfect World (HarperTeen Impulse)
Authors:Scott Westerfeld
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Kindle Edition
Collections:Kindle eBooks, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, dystopia, young adult, romance, science fiction

Stupid Perfect World by Scott Westerfeld

I honestly had expected more out of this book and was disappointed in it. Although the situation the two main characters found themselves in were intriguing, I would have loved more of their insight into how different it was to experience things they had never experienced before. The book only seemed to focus on the female and it was as if the author just used a bunch of cliches to explain her situation. Readers never got a glimpse into how experiencing sleep for the first time for the male effected him.
Despite that, I did like the concept of this book. I just wish there was more to it. There was so much potential to this book and I feel the author just took the short way out. I did enjoy using my imagination to figure out how the two characters were changed by their experience, but if I had more guidance and knowledge, that would have been better. ( )
  eeminxs | Aug 5, 2016 |
In the future, deprivation, sickness, hormonal imbalances, and pretty much all forms of suffering have been eliminated. Teenagers are required to take a class in "Scarcity" to remind them of how fortunate they are. Each chooses a single affliction or aspect of the pre-utopian world. Kieran chooses to start sleeping, while Maria chooses to no longer control her hormones. While their classmates deal with the common cold or seasickness, Kieran and Maria find their perfect, balanced selves tipping into a dramatic love affair.

Good ideas, good sketches of characters, but the story is too short and undeveloped. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
In this future world, high school students are required to attend Scarcity class. For the final project, the students are supposed to "embody" some form of ancient lameness, spending two weeks being blind or whatever. This is supposed to teach them what things were really like in "the old days."

Barefoot Tillman decides to go with the common cold. Other students chose hunger, illiteracy; most chose diseases. Maria decides to suspend her hormonal balancers. She wants to find out what it was like to be a teenager "back then." She wants to experience the intense feelings. Kieran decides to try sleeping. He plans to sleep 3 hours a night. In this future, people don't need to sleep, they communicate in headspace and no one experiences diseases or even hormonal fluctuations.

My opinion:
The novella is told from two points of view, Kieran and Maria. It is interesting to see how sleeping (& dreaming) and hormones affect them. And how it changes their outlook.

It is amazing how Scott Westerfield manages to tell this story in only 9 chapters. I found myself wanting to learn more about this world and the people in it. I felt connected to the characters and it was fun to watch them learn about things that are so foreign to them yet such a big part of our everyday lives.

I enjoy Westerfield's writing and this book was no exception. This is a fun, easy to read book. It is short and can be read in one evening. So worth it!!

Recommended to:
Young adults who like their dystopian futures with a touch of romance. ( )
  Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |
Kieran Black is such a fantastic character name it's been used twice! (By Alyxandra Harvey in her Drake Chronicles series -[b:The Drake Chronicles Collection Set: Blood Feud, Out for Blood, My Love Lies Bleeding, Haunting Violet|12333662|The Drake Chronicles Collection Set Blood Feud, Out for Blood, My Love Lies Bleeding, Haunting Violet|Alyxandra Harvey|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327624952s/12333662.jpg|17312761] - and now here) . . . also, this was in the [b:Love Is Hell|2761829|Love Is Hell|Melissa Marr|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347844256s/2761829.jpg|2828675] anthology -- knew I'd read it before somewhere.
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
As far as I can tell this is a stand alone novella set in the far future of earth with teleportation, perfect health and no need for sleep. teens take a class on called "Scarcity" and each has to live for two weeks giving up something that people in the past had to contend with. The POV character chooses sleep, another has her hormone balances turned off, another decides to suffer the common cold and so on. Kiernan has chosen sleep but needs help with it since he did no background study on it and another classmate that chose to let her hormones run wild helps him with the project. With hormones running wild, poor choices abound but it all comes out ok by the end of the story. Once I finished it I wanted to read more about the world setup but not necessarily these characters.
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |

In this future-set novella by bestselling author Scott Westerfeld, Kieran Black lives in a "perfect" world. Disease and starvation have been eradicated, sleep is unnecessary, and it takes no time at all to go from the Bahamas to the moon. But now Kieran has to take Scarcity, a class about how people lived in the bad old days. And as if sitting through an hour of Scarcity every day wasn't depressing enough, it's final projects time. Each student must choose some form of ancient hardship to experience for two whole weeks. Kieran chooses having to sleep eight hours a night, which doesn't seem too annoying. Maria Borsotti has never thought much of Kieran, but she decides to take pity on him and help him out with his project. Soon, Kieran is sleeping and having vivid dreams, while Maria, whose Scarcity project is to give up all teenage hormone regulation, is experiencing emotions she never knew she had. As their assignments draw them closer together, they begin to wonder if the olden days weren't so bad. Maybe something has been missing from their perfect lives after all?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,719,984 books! | Top bar: Always visible