Instinct by J. A. Garland

Authors:J. A. Garland
Info:Champagne Books (2012), Paperback, 226 pages

Instinct by J. A. Garland

Review originally posted on My Urban Fantasies

Rory is a lone werewolf and a tracker for the NOA, National Otherkind Administration. (An Otherkind is someone who is non-human. Shifter. Demon. Vampire.) His job is to track down a certain Otherkind known as Dusters, small-time nuisances that go from place to place stirring up trouble. Rory tracks them down before they become something much worse, Users.

Rory is on a routine mission when something goes terribly wrong. The Duster is waiting for Rory and he knows that Rory is the one after him, something which should be impossible. It can only mean one thing. Rory was setup to die from someone inside the NOA.

I know new terminology, ahhh! I promise it's not scary or confusing as it seems. Because of the unique and amazing world J.A. Garland has created the new terms are necessary. But fear not! This is one of those books where you learn as you go how the world is set up. I love books like this! I hate getting that information dump in the beginning of a book. You know, the one where instead of jumping into an exciting new world, you're left sitting in a history class with the strong urge to take notes. So instead of hiding behind your book poking words like Dusters, Users and Trackers in complete terror, you will be landing in an action packed Otherkind of world.

My favorite part of Instinct is the action scenes. Garland wrote them with such amazing detail. I could picture every kick and punch. No cross-eyed moments trying to figure out what the Praying Mantis or Drunken Monkey stance is supposed to look like.

Instinct is an amazing action packed adventure with strong characters and a unique storyline. As a side note to all the romance haters: Romance is by no means the main focal point in Instinct. You'll love it! ( )
  myurbanfantasies | Sep 12, 2013 |
Instinct by J. A. Garland is an exciting suspense novel with likable characters and interesting plot twist. Garland does a wonderful job of introducing various supernatural characters and cultures in this fast paced novel that introduces the reader to the National Otherkind Association (NOA) where Trackers battle against the Shadows. ( )
  dlynch | Apr 16, 2013 |
In this fast paced story readers will immediately enjoy the mystery that surrounds Rory Archer and his tragic past. A likeable character, he has just the right touch of moodiness to ignite a flame. His interactions with Amber are entertaining and believable with mistrust and pure lust stirring just beneath the surface. She arrives with a spunky, tough-girl attitude that integrates flawlessly with her sexy appearance. This entertaining plot will keep you interested to the end as you discover the real intentions behind the Organization’s betrayal of Rory to the Shadows.

I was provided a copy of the book by BTS eMag for purpose of honest review. I was not compensated for this review – all conclusions are my own responsibility. ( )
  wolfangel87 | Dec 8, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,450,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible