Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds
Member:Skaidon
Title:Revelation Space
Authors:Alastair Reynolds
Info:Ace (2002), Paperback

Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds (2000)

Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds (Arvoitus)
    Saturn Returns by Sean Williams (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Dark Space opera, splintered human factions and impressive technology
    The Recollection by Gareth L Powell (sawyl)
    Marrow by Robert Reed (tetrachromat)
    tetrachromat: If you like Reynold's Revelation Space series, you will probably also like Robert Reed's Great Ship series. Both are intelligent,hard science fiction.

English (75)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  Ukrainian (1)  All languages (80)
Great space opera/hard SF book. I just kept on wanting to read. ( )
  aarondesk | Apr 29, 2015 |
By two stars, I don't mean it's a bad book. It really isn't. I can tell it's good writing but it just did not hold my interest. I star my books Netflix style, so two stars just means I didn't like it.
  FourOfFiveWits | Feb 23, 2015 |
Ӕ
  ngunity | Nov 23, 2014 |
Something about graduate school has destroyed my appreciation for descriptive prose. I could not put this book down, it was exciting. However, I skipped a lot of the lengthy aesthetic portions that most readers love. I was really disappointed in the end, because it wasn't as much of a reveal for the characters as it was for me. Most of the characters knew what was up, but not in a Twilight Zone or Never Let Me Go kind of way. The author simply skipped all the parts where characters were educated and saved it for sharing at the end. ( )
  CassandraT | Oct 10, 2014 |
Alastair Reynolds is a name to watch. Mixing shades of Banks and Gibson with gigatons of originality, he has pulled off that most difficult of SF tropes, believable aliens. [...] Reynolds supplies hard-science answers that are plausible, entertaining and clever; he even manages to make different flavours of neutrino sound interesting.

Alastair Reynoldsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tervaharju, HannuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441009425, Mass Market Paperback)

Alastair Reynolds's first novel is "hard" SF on an epic scale, crammed with technological marvels and immensities. Its events take place over a relatively short period, but have roots a billion years old--when the Dawn War ravaged our galaxy.

Sylveste is the only man ever to return alive and sane from a Shroud, an enclave in space protected by awesome gravity-warping defenses: "a folding a billion times less severe should have required more energy than was stored in the entire rest-mass of the galaxy." Now an intuition he doesn't understand makes him explore the dead world Resurgam, whose birdlike natives long ago tripped some booby trap that made their own sun erupt in a deadly flare.

Meanwhile, the vast, decaying lightship Nostalgia for Infinity is coming for Sylveste, whose dead father (in AI simulation) could perhaps help the Captain, frozen near absolute zero yet still suffering monstrous transformation by nanotech plague. Most of Infinity's tiny crew have hidden agendas--Khouri the reluctant contract assassin believes she must kill Sylveste to save humanity--and there are two bodiless stowaways, one no longer human and one never human. Shocking truths emerge from bluff, betrayal, and ingenious lies.

The trail leads to a neutron star where an orbiting alien construct has defenses to challenge the Infinity's planet-wrecking superweapons.

At the heart of this artifact, the final revelations detonate--most satisfyingly. Dense with information and incident, this longish novel has no surplus fat and seems almost too short. A sparkling SF debut. --David Langford, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:51 -0400)

Nine hundred thousand years ago, something wiped out the Amarantin. For the human colonists settling the Amarantin homeworld Resurgam, it's of little more than academic interest. But Dan Sylveste will stop at nothing to get at the truth.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,795,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible