Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds

Revelation Space (edition 2002)

by Alastair Reynolds

Revelation space redefines the space opera with a staggering journey across vast gulfs of time and space to confront the very nature of reality itself.
Member:paulmorriss
Title:Revelation Space
Authors:Alastair Reynolds
Info:Ace (2002), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 592 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:goodreads

Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds

Recently added byTom__, tonieee, private library, paulwcampbell, smckittr, Wate, cynicman, javdiaz, Jim.Shine, bobf32

English (97)  French (3)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  Ukrainian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (104)
This book is amazing. I can hardly describe the sheer amazingness of it. In the beginning I was unsure on whether I liked the story, or rather stories, as they seemed utterly unrelated to each other. I was also unsure whether I liked the universe. But all that had vanished by chapter ten, and from there onwards I read this book voraciously, devouring it's contents continuously. It became very hard to put down, and in the past two days I read everything from chapter ten onwards, that's somewhat less then 70% of the book. And this book is an amazing piece of hard science fiction as ever I read one. So incredibly engaging and vivid it boggles my mind. I think I may have a new favorite author now, and I will most definitely be reading his other works. ( )
  AMartinios | Sep 16, 2019 |
Engrossing, complex science fiction and space opera. In the remote future, with the aid of implanted neural interfaces, and immense computing power, mankind has dispersed in space. On Resurgam, the protagonist, Sylveste, is desperately searching for relics of the Amarantin, a race that occupied the planet until a nuclear explosion in its star destroyed the surface and life on the planet. Sylveste is convinced that survival of the colony depends on the answers. Next we meet Khouri, an assassin in a game on another planet, who is recruited to kill Sylveste, by an entity only known as Mademoiselle. Khouri is given a neural implant with Mademoiselle's "beta" copy of herself in computer memory. Sylveste also carries a beta copy of his father Calvin. Khouri is recruited as a weapon's officer for a Lighthugger, a starship, to manage enigmatic weapons that the Lighthugger's crew barely understand. The various threads of character and plot take a long time to come together, but culminate in the discovery of the Inhibitors, a very ancient race that destroys sentient life when it finds it, and the mystery of the Shrouders. If anyone reads this summary it is best not to say more about the plot. The science is reasonably realistic, so that the Lighthuggers do not exceed the speed of light, centuries pass between planet visits, computer viruses affect self-repairing robots so that there are material changes in infected ship parts, and people, and a neutron star surface is a quantum computer of prodigious speed and memory capacity. The physics of the star is explained plausibly. ( )
  neurodrew | Sep 8, 2019 |
I think this one might be a bit too hard on the sci-fi hardness scale for my liking. The premise with the lost civilization was super-interesting to me, but in the end I didn't think it really led anywhere for a long long time, before we were sort of returned to it at the end.

Instead I was treated to a long line of characters I didn't like (in the future everyone is a smart-ass and an asshole, I guess), lengthy treaties on future technologies and inventions and a whole bunch of not much going on in the middle.

Don't get me wrong, there are several interesting ideas that do make you think in here and, as I said, the archeological premise is intriguing, but as a story, this is all pretty "meh". ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
This is a fantastic series! ( )
  mwchase | Nov 6, 2018 |
I found this one confusing. Unfortunately, that's all I remember. ( )
  Karlstar | Sep 15, 2018 |
Alastair Reynolds is a name to watch. Mixing shades of Banks and Gibson with gigatons of originality, he has pulled off that most difficult of SF tropes, believable aliens. [...] Reynolds supplies hard-science answers that are plausible, entertaining and clever; he even manages to make different flavours of neutrino sound interesting.

Alastair Reynoldsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tervaharju, HannuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There was a razorstorm coming in.

Nine hundred thousand years ago, something wiped out the Amarantin. For the human colonists now settling the Amarantin homeworld Resurgam, it's of little more than academic interest, even after the discovery of a long-hidden, almost perfect Amarantin city and a colossal statue of a winged Amarantin. For brilliant but ruthless scientist Dan Sylveste, it's more than merelty intellectual curiosity - and he will stop at nothing to get at the truth. Even if the truth costs him everything. But the Amarantin were wiped out for a reason, and that danger is closer and greater than even Syveste imagines ...REVELATION SPACE: a huge, magnificent space opera that ranges across the known and unknown universe ... towards the most terrifying of destinations.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,836,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible