Battlefield of the Mind: Winning the Battle…

Battlefield of the Mind: Winning the Battle in Your Mind (1995)

by Joyce Meyer

Series: Warner Faith

English (13)  Spanish (1)  All languages (14)
A brilliant book written by an inspirational woman, leader and teacher.

A lot of the issues we are challenged with, or fight against, are not battles with other people so much as battles in our own minds - in the way we think about things, which then affects how we feel about things and ultimately how we respond to circumstances.

Our thought-life does not have to control us.

GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage Out.

We can all control our thought-life and how we react to circumstances. "For as a man/woman thinks in his/her heart, so does he/she become." ( )
  ClareHatt | May 25, 2013 |
What I learned from this book was to seriously consider about my thoughts and thought process. This is a non-fiction work about obedience and finding out how that really works. It is so uplifting to see God's bigger plan at work, which is something often hard to notice in our own lives. You can read this multiple times and still find new nuggets of wisdom...and application! Joyce Meyers is a favorite because you can see by the fruit of her works that she lives what she writes. Bad trees cannot produce good fruit. ( )
  hopefully86 | May 1, 2013 |
This particular book challenges you to take a good look at yourself and how you think, as well as it is a good tool to use with any ministy teaching venue. Even though these are Joyce Meyers own personal experiences, many of us I am sure have had to deal with or are dealing with some of the same issues that are addressed.
Thought provoking book, would recommend it to everyone, I am using it in my women's book group and it has generated alot of conversations, opinions and possible paths to finding solutions for the women in this group. ( )
  MaryAnn12 | Apr 4, 2013 |
Even if religious perspective is not your deal there are loads and loads of wisdom in this book. It was simple to read and very fast. I'd recommend it because it did help me be more aware of my thoughts and the downward spirals of negativity that are so easy to drift into. I did not believe the phrase "Happiness is a choice" before but I know it to be true now.

Battlefield of The Mind also reminded me that common sense perhaps is not so common, especially in a stressed life. This is common sense with a Christian face that heals the universal soul. ( )
  ooniyide | Oct 26, 2012 |
A drawing point for me to this book was that chess pieces were on the front cover. I find it odd that someone chose to have the white king submitted, while the black king stands victorious over him. What is this symbolic of? Before I get lost in this, I'll move on.

Joyce Meyer is either loved or hated, as are many TV evangelists - there are not many inbetweens. I guess I fall inbetween.

This book is very simply written. It is double-spaced and comes in at 278 pages. The bibliography consists of the "Random House Unabridged Dictionary", "Strong's The New Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible", "Vine's An Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words", and "Webster's II New Riverside University Dictionary". "Battle Field of the Mind" has sold over 2 million copies. People are essentially simple-minded. Isaac Asimov stated that his objective in writing, was to write as simply as possible, being as clear as possible. Well done then, Joyce, good and faithful servant.

The contents of "Battle Field of the Mind" are broken into three parts: "The Importance of the Mind", "Conditions of the Mind", and "Wilderness Mentalities".

The main message found here is to "think about what you are thinking about". Various scriptures taken from the Amplified Bible, as well as King James, are spread throughout the book, validating Meyer's teachings on the mind.

Though I was not impressed with Joyce's writing style, I appreciated her insights, and her knowledge of the Bible. Certainly, there are things here to think about, and think deeply about.

Confessing not only covers our sin, but also helps us to recognize and analyze where it is that we are habitually falling into sin. Socrates tells us "A life unexamined is not worth living." The writer of Proverbs tells us "For as he thinks in his heart, so is he." By examining our thinking, our minds, we are better able to examine our lives. As Joyce states more than once: "The mind is the battlefield."

All was well with Joyce and I until I came to chapter 10, within which she argues that reason is an abnormal way of thinking, and that reason leads to confusion. I believe she takes Matthew 16.8, James 1:22, Proverbs 3:5, and 1 Corinthians 2:1,2 completely out of context. Paul said he resolved to know nothing among us except Jesus Christ. Without reason, we could not recognize Paul as being paradoxical - he is truly one of the most logical and intellectual writers in the bible! Joyce's book here was written using reason, which, in the image of God, we were gifted with (granted she used a smaller portion of reason in her writing than say, Charles Spurgeon). So, this chapter, in my opinion, needs to be completely trashed and rewritten. Reason is not abnormal thinking. It is a wonderful tool without which we would only have religion.

Myer Pearlman states that "theology literally means 'a treatise or reasoned discourse about God'. Theology, or doctrine, may be described as a science which deals with our knowledge of God and His relations to man. We call theology a science because science is the systematic and logical arrangement of certified facts. Theology consists of facts relating to God and Divine things, presented in an orderly and logical manner.

Religion comes from a Latin word meaning 'to bind'; religion represents those activities which bind man to God in a certain relationship. Theology is knowledge about God. Thus religion is practice, while theology is knowledge. Religion and theology should go together in the balanced experience; but in practice they are sometimes separated so that one may be a theologian without being truly religious and on the other hand one may be truly religious without possessing a systematic knowledge of doctrinal truth. 'If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them," is God's message to the theologian. 'Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth' (2 Tim. 2:15), is God's message for the spiritual man."

Is that not brilliant? Bravo!, Mr. Pearlman, Bravo!

Joyce Meyer, we do not need to fear reason - it will not lead to atheism, unless applied in earnest to atheism (which should then, if the logician is honest, in the very least, lead the atheist to agnosticism).

We are to apply our Godly ratiocination to his Word. I don't know how Joyce reasoned herself into such an unreasonable reasoning of reason. I don't think it's just her. I think that the Body of Christ is terrified of logic, and sees it as cold and terrible. This is why they are called "religious folk".

After Chapter 10 of "Battle Field of the Mind" I truly began to appreciate the depth of Meyer, which at first appearance, to me, seemed shallow. This is the beauty of the book - and the same beauty can be found in the gospel. It seemed to me too, that by the end of the book, Joyce's vocabulary was expanding, and her prose growing sharper (I realize that she has written over 70 published books).

There is a lot of information covered in the book that I'd like to get into. Reading it once seems a shame, therefore, in this case, unlike the cases of many other books, a workbook would be preferable—I'll be keeping my eye out for one.

Joyce points out many historical facts of the bible, including that it was an 11-day journey the Jews had to cross over into the promised land - God kept them in the wilderness for 40 years; in turn, her "Wilderness Mentalities" section was quite insightful. I think her favorite word at the time of writing this was "exhortative" — she used it much. I too enjoyed the little tales of trials in her personal life, and the wisdom she gleaned from them. I hear she is writing fiction now - which I'd be interested in reading.

I might point out another oddity in the book, which I found highly entertaining. In Chapter 15, under "Meditate and Be Healed", Joyce states that:

"My appearance has been changed during the past 18 years. People tell me that I actually look at least 15 years younger today than I did when I first began to diligently study the Word and make it the central focus of my entire life."

It is quite common knowledge now that Joyce Meyer has gone under the knife (I thought she was hotter before, as a friend told me I was the type that would always choose the before pictures on those infomercials, and he's right)... ( )
  endersreads | Mar 17, 2011 |
I would like to dedicate Battlefield of the Mind to my oldest son, David. I know your personality is enough like mine that you have had your share of struggles in the mental realm. I see you growing continually, and I know that you are experiencing the victories that come from the renewal of the mind. I love you, David, and I am proud of you. Keep pressing on!

From this Scripture we see that we are in a war.

Worry, doubt, confusion, depression, anger and feelings of condemnation: all these are attacks on the mind. If readers suffer from negative thoughts, they can take heart! Joyce Meyer has helped millions win these all-important battles. In her most popular bestseller ever, the beloved author and minister shows readers how to change their lives by changing their minds.

She teaches how to deal with thousands of thoughts that people think every day and how to focus the mind the way God thinks. And she shares the trials, tragedies, and ultimate victories from her own marriage, family, and ministry that led her to wondrous, life-transforming truth--and reveals her thoughts and feelings every step of the way.

This special updated edition includes an additional introduction and updated content throughout the book.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:47 -0400)

Explains how people can change their lives by changing the way they think, revealing the impact negative emotions have on mental and physical health and providing strategies to help overcome feelings of anger, worry, doubt, and depression.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,611,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible