Diary of a Mall Santa by Stewart Scott

Diary of a Mall Santa (edition 2012)

by Stewart Scott

Collections:Finished Reading
Rating:***
Tags:Kindle, Short Stories

Diary of a Mall Santa by Stewart Scott

I don't even know where to start with this "book". It reads as sloppy journal entries instead of an actual memoir. While it promises true, heartwarming, and sometimes heartbreaking stories, you only get a paragraph or two highlighting Scott's superior attitude and judgments towards others. If you're wanting to get into the holiday spirit, this is not the book to look to.

Scott makes constant judgmental comments about the families he sees with no basis. It becomes repetitive. I was amazed to find that Scott highlights how African American and Hispanic families visit him. His tone comes off as either blatant racism or naivety. I was left to feel that he was surprised that an African American family would visit Santa. It's the idea of Santa and what he represents that matters, not his skin color. Scott would do well to learn that lesson before putting himself back in the public and writing about his experiences.

There are numerous comments about the weight of children and parents. Scott reiterates over and over how he's a skinny Santa. Oddly enough, the cover showcases the traditional, pleasantly plump Santa. And he goes on to link childhood obesity to video games, because as a child he was never overweight when he played outside all day. It really is never ending.

I would be frightened to take my children to this mall Santa. He's too busy formulating baseless judgments and introducing his religion at every turn to focus on the spirit of Christmas.

Luckily, I snagged this book whenever it was free. Please, do not pay for this book. There are plenty of other stories out there to satiate your holiday needs. Skip this one. ( )
  Kristen11 | Dec 28, 2013 |
Not an amazing book, but not a horrible one either. I found some of the stories to be quite entertaining; others rather sad. Overall an intriguing look into the life of mall Santa. ( )
  TnTexas | Mar 31, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,283,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible