Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

Crazy Rich Asians (2013)

by Kevin Kwan

Series: Crazy Rich Asians (1)

Recently added byrena75, jenniferw88, private library, tundra, iceiris, MollyGraham, Wookies, Adelaide1

Crazy Rich Asians is pretty much what is sounds like. It’s about a woman, (Rachel )and her rich boyfriend whos family are all crazy rich asians and don't approve him dating a quote unquote “peasant.” Rachel’s boyfriend, Nick, is best friends with Colin Coo. Colin is getting married to another famous person and they are both INSANELY rich. Rachel is going with Nick and the fam doesn't like that. Nick’s mom basically teams up with a bunch of other crazy rich asians to break them up. She gets them all convinced that Rachel is a gold digger. Needless to say, she isn’t.

You should read Crazy Rich Asians because it is a great novel. It is a great novel because it’s the perfect combination of romance, comedy, and craziness. #richpeopleproblems! I only wish I worried about whether or not I should ride to a party in my Bugatti Veyron or my Lamborghini Veneno Roadster. Rachel, the main charecter ( )
  JaynaP.B4 | Jan 29, 2019 |
Crazy Rich Asians was one of my favorite books of 2018, even though it was published in 2013. I had heard buzz that it was fantastic and so I bought it through audible and there it sat in my queue waiting to be listened to. Then, the news that it was being made into a movie came about, and I decided to wait until the movie was released before I read the book. Except things never go as planned because life. Despite my disappointment of not seeing the movie in theaters, I decided to go ahead and listen to the audiobook, which, in my opinion, was pretty fantastic.

The audiobook is narrated by Lynn Chen. Lynn Chen is an actress on stage and on film. I was unfamiliar with her work before starting this audiobook, but it didn't take me long to discover she was the perfect choice. She voices a multitude of characters and accents and does so with gusto. My only complaint is that I didn't love her Australian accent. It needed a little work. Other than that, she's great. Though the audiobook is almost fourteen hours in length, it didn't feel that long.

The story line to Crazy Rich Asians is fantastic. It covers the complexities of families, class distinctions, society, and expectations. At the heart of the story is Rachel Chu and Nicholas Young. Two young lovers, who want nothing more than to be together. However, Nicholas has been keeping Rachel in the dark about his background. He is crazy rich. The kind of rich you can't even relate to because nothing in your life can compare. The kind of rich where people judge you on the designer you are wearing rather than the kind of person you are. The kind of rich where even if you are rich, whether you are old money or new money matters.

The opulence of wealth in this novel is crazy. But you fall in love with the characters nevertheless. Nicholas brings Rachel home to meet his family without preparing her at all for what she's about to do. Thus, I was angry at Nicholas for some time during the first half of this book. I mean, he should have told her. Anyway, his family views her as a gold digger and strives to tear them apart. Rachel has to decide whether or not Nicholas is worth all the trouble.

This book is a roller coaster of emotion. From laugh out loud to tears, it doesn't disappoint. I adored this novel. Kevin Kwan is a brilliant writer. His characters have layers upon layers. It was so easy to fall in love with this story and its characters. I plan to listen to the rest of the trilogy as audiobooks as well. I highly recommend this book.

Read more at https://www.toreadornottoread.net/2019/01/audiobook-review-crazy-rich-asians.htm... ( )
  mt256 | Jan 16, 2019 |
This story is about the ultrarich in Singapore. Rachel Chu, is a middle class Chinese American whose boyfriend, Nick, invites her to spend the summer in Singapore with his family. He has not prepared Rachel for his family who is among the Singapore elite. Nick's mother is already trying to sabatoge their relationship because she is sure Rachel (who went to Stanford and has a Ph.D) is no where good enough for her son, since she doesn't come from a wealthy family. But Nick doesn't care.

The two are in Singapore to attend a wedding for Nick's best friend, who is Singapore royalty. Rachel is thrown into a huge 3 family triangle of aunts and uncles of Nick - all whom seem to have enormous fortunes. There are few who are accepting of Nick and Rachel's relationship, and she has to decide if this is a world that she wants to be a part of.

I didn't like this book. I thought it was long and boring, and had too many characters. And that is saying something because I have read Game of Thrones. This book had no character development and just spent the entire 500 pages talking about designer labels and jewelry. These billionares never did anything but spend money on themselves and complain about anyone who was less rich than they were. The writing was juvenille and when I saw a picture of the author I was surprised to find that it was an adult male. Reading about nothing but designer labels and fake rich people got tiresome quickly.

Skip this. I was hoping that because it was being turned into a movie I would give it a try. But it was a waste of time. Hopefully the movie will be completely different from the book.

JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
Well-written, awesome descriptions, and the dialogue was hilarious! ( )
  weimaranergypsy | Jan 8, 2019 |
This book was a complete and utter surprise to me. I initially read it as I was ill and didn't want the complication of fantasy. I was totally blown away by Kevin Kwan's writing, as this book is primarily aimed at woman and in my opinion his writing was better than most female authors. I was amazed at how Kevin Kwan was able to convey the lifes of Singapore's rich family's. Everything from his description of food to surroundings, painted a rich tapestry in my mind. It really does keep you wanting more. This book is one of the best book I've read in 2018 and can't wait to read the other two. ( )
  Clezyb | Jan 2, 2019 |

Kevin Kwanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carella, MariaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wong, JoanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother and father
Nicholas Young slumped into the nearest seat in the hotel lobby, drained from the sixteen-hour flight from Singapore, the train ride from Heathrow Airport, and trudging through the rain-soaked streets.

Crazy Rich Asians is the outrageously funny debut novel about three super-rich, pedigreed Chinese families and the gossip, backbiting, and scheming that occurs when the heir to one of the most massive fortunes in Asia brings home his ABC (American-born Chinese) girlfriend to the wedding of the season.
When Rachel Chu agrees to spend the summer in Singapore with her boyfriend, Nicholas Young, she envisions a humble family home, long drives to explore the island, and quality time with the man she might one day marry. What she doesn't know is that Nick's family home happens to look like a palace, that she'll ride in more private planes than cars, and that with one of Asia's most eligible bachelors on her arm, Rachel might as well have a target on her back. Initiated into a world of dynastic splendor beyond imagination, Rachel meets Astrid, the It Girl of Singapore society; Eddie, whose family practically lives in the pages of the Hong Kong socialite magazines; and Eleanor, Nick's formidable mother, a woman who has very strong feelings about who her son should--and should not--marry. Uproarious, addictive, and filled with jaw-dropping opulence, Crazy Rich Asians is an insider's look at the Asian JetSet; a perfect depiction of the clash between old money and new money; between Overseas Chinese and Mainland Chinese; and a fabulous novel about what it means to be young, in love, and gloriously, crazily rich.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:06 -0400)

Envisioning a summer vacation in the humble Singapore home of a boy she hopes to marry, Chinese American Rachel Chu is unexpectedly introduced to a rich and scheming clan that strongly opposes their son's relationship with an American girl.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,525,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible