Unbreakable (Road to Kingdom) by Nancy Mehl

Unbreakable (Road to Kingdom) (edition 2013)

by Nancy Mehl

Member:passionforbooks
Title:Unbreakable (Road to Kingdom)
Authors:Nancy Mehl
Info:Bethany House Publishers (2013), Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:*****

Unbreakable (Road to Kingdom) by Nancy Mehl

This was the second book in the Road to Kingdom Series.

The main focus of this story was Hope. She was engaged to one man but had developed feelings for another. How did this turn out.

Then there was the mystery part of the book - who was driving the red truck and what danger did it present to the town of Kingdom?

There is also unrest in the church here with different members having different feelings on how best to protect the town.

We catch up with the main characters of book 1.

But I still feel the wrapped up in a box part with The Sophie story happened very sudden and as an afterthought. ( )
  jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |
Just like the first book in this series I loved this book. Once I started reading it I finished is super quick and was once again sad that it ended. I wasn't super happy with the ending but I did see that it was going to end up like that. The author does a great job of making you feel like you where there with the characters while everything was going on. I can't wait to read more books in this series because they are great books and I love the characters! ( )
  mattidw | Dec 17, 2013 |
Unbreakable
Nancy Mehl

Book Summary: Mennonite Romantic Suspense Sure to Thrill Readers
Gentle and unassuming, Hope Kauffman has never been one to question the traditions of her Mennonite upbringing. She quietly helps her father run Kingdom Quilts and has agreed to the betrothal he arranged for her with the devout but shy Ebbie Miller. Despite the attempts of Hope and other Kingdom residents to maintain the status quo, changes have already begun to stir in the small Mennonite town. The handsome and charismatic Jonathon Wiese is the leader of the move to reform, while Ebbie insists Kingdom must remain true to its foundation. When Hope's safety is threatened by a mysterious outsider, she can't help but question what she's always been taught about the Mennonite tradition of nonviolence. As it swiftly becomes apparent the threat Hope faced is only the beginning, the town that's always stood so strong finds itself divided. With tensions high and their lives endangered by an unknown enemy, will Hope and the people of Kingdom allow fear and division to break them or will they draw on the strength of the God they serve?

Review: I thought the book got better and better as I continued to read!!! It started out slow for me, about 1/3rd into the book I could not put it down. I really found the mystery fun. It was not a huge who did it but definitely ‘a who will Hope chose to marry.’ I made up my mind and was very pleased that is the way the story went. I would have been so disappointed if it went any other way. I just could not see the outcome being satisfying had Hope’s choice been different. For me I was transformed in my opinion by the halfway mark. It is a good read when how you feel changes dramatically by the end of the book. I am looking forward to reading the 3rd in this series. It has been a fun series thus far. The people of the town have grown and changed which is part of the fun. There was a lot of sadness at the start of the book and that is what contributed to the slowness because it was such a tragedy to get through.

I would like to thank Net Galley and Bethany House Publishing for allowing me to read and review this book in return for a free copy and I was never asked to write a favorable review by anyone. ( )
  Robin661 | Jun 18, 2013 |
This is the second book in this series that I have read, and another really great read. It will keep you guessing who is behind the fires and even the murder?
We renew our time with Lizzie, Cassie and Noah, and Hope Kauffman. Love being able to get caught up in their lives. As the story opens Hope in engaged to Ebbie Miller, and even though she loves him, she is feeling sparks from new comer Jonathon Wiese.
We find Hope being run off the road, her buggy tipping, and along comes Jonathon in his truck. He give comfort to Hope and helps her. When Ebbie breaks their engagement, Jonathon moves in. He loves Hope!
All of a sudden this peaceful Mennonite Community is under attack. Ebbie wants them to follow under Gods Protection, not violence. Where as, Jonathon thinks they should at least carry guns, even unloaded.
It is hard to imagine this peaceful Community of Kingdom living in so much fear! Who would do this?
You will have to read right to the end for answers. Even when I was sure I knew who was to blame, I was wrong. Also who will Hope end up with? Jonathon, who gives her her first kiss....or Ebbie who will step aside for Hopes happiness. Oh my, both these guys sound wonderful. Prayer.... for the Community and for the right choices.

I received this book through Litfuse Publicity Book Tours, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Apr 2, 2013 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this second book in Nancy Mehl's Road to Kingdom series. Although we were introduced to Hope Kaufman as a close friend to Lizzie in the first book of the series, Inescapable, this is definitely one of those books that can well stand alone. Lizzie does make appearances in the story, along with other characters of the town they wish to isolate from the evils of the world.
Unassuming Hope, motherless, but living with a loving, caring father, lived her life as a faithful Mennonite girl. Seldom questioning whether the faith she embraces is her own, or her father's faith she is suddenly brought up short and has to decide for herself what she believes.
Nancy does a phenomenal job in bringing the Mennonite belief in nonviolence into the modern world, and explaining the reason they believe the way they do. She does this without belittling the faith or those who believe otherwise, as well as showing us the virtue of forgiveness. Forgiveness does not necessarily equal trust, as forgiveness is freely given, but trust, once lost, must be earned. Stories told in the first person point of view are perhaps more difficult to write as well as to read, but that should not stop a reader from picking it up. Beautifully written, the book is difficult to put down because the suspense, though not as dramatic as in a suspense novel, is there through the book.

I received this book free from Bethany House Publishers and Litfuse Publicity Group for the purpose of review. A positive critique was not required, and the opinions stated are my own. ( )
  mbarkman | Feb 11, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764209280, Paperback)

Mennonite Romantic Suspense Sure to Thrill Readers

Gentle and unassuming Hope Kauffman has never been one to question or try to make changes. She quietly helps her father run Kingdom Quilts and has agreed to the betrothal her father arranged for her with the devout but shy Ebbie Miller.

Despite Hope's and other Kingdom residents' attempts to maintain the status quo, changes have already begun to stir in the small Mennonite town. The handsome and charismatic Jonathon Wiese is the leader of the move to reform, and when one of Kingdom's own is threatened by a mysterious outsider, Jonathon is one of the first to push for the town to arm itself. Hope's fiance, Ebbie, is at the forefront of those demanding the town stay true to its traditions of nonviolence.

When strange incidents around town result in outright attacks on several townspeople, Hope can't help but question what she's always been taught. As the town that's always stood so strong together is torn apart at the seams, Hope is caught between opposing sides, both represented by those she has come to care for. With tensions high and lives endangered by an unknown threat, Hope fears Kingdom can never survive in one piece.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:37 -0400)

"As her Mennonite town is shaken by strange incidents and outright attacks on its residents, Hope Kaufmann is forced to question all she knows and believes"--Provided by publisher.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,707,979 books! | Top bar: Always visible