The Crown Tower by Michael J. Sullivan

Fantastic story! My husband and I read this book on the recommendation of the bookstore clerk and we were pleasantly surprised. Started with the prequels as the first book in the series was not available.
Wonderful character development and lots of action. Can't wait to get to the next prequel and then onto the series! ( )
  ladykat | May 15, 2017 |
Reading AGE OF MYTH by Michael J. Sullivan made me want to go back (to the future!) and read some more Riyria. I’ve read the entirety of the Riyria Revelations series, but I hadn’t read any of the standalone Riyria Chronicles yet – starting with this book, THE CROWN TOWER.

THE CROWN TOWER is the origin story of Riyria – it tells the story of how Royce and Hadrian first met and their first adventure together – robbing the Patriarch of the Nyphron church. Gwen is also a viewpoint character, and the book covers how she met Royce and Hadrian as well. I don’t remember the minor details of the Riyria Revelations books enough to comment on how much of this story is referenced in them (if at all), but some of the major plot points are definitely foreshadowed.

I enjoyed this book. More Royce and Hadrian is never a bad thing, and it was interesting meeting them when they aren’t quite the people I was used to. There isn’t really much of an antagonist – the conflict is just Royce and Hadrian’s intense dislike of each other. There are people after them, but it’s not personal.

I was a little disappointed at how little control Royce and Hadrian had over their meeting – they are literally forced together by Arcadius. Gwen displays a little more initiative, but she is also bound by prophecy. I would have been much less sympathetic to how everything happened if I hadn’t read the Riyria Revelations series, so I would definitely recommend reading that series first, starting with Theft of Swords. ( )
  kgodey | Apr 11, 2017 |
fun read, but let's be frank, this book wouldn't stand on it's own. It's only interesting as the origin of our duo of heroes, how they met and how Gwen got to meet both too. But as plot, intrigue or quest goes, there is none in this book. Read "Revelations" trilogy first or you'll wonder why people like this book. 3 stars for a fun read. ( )
  kinwolf | Feb 11, 2017 |
I was in the middle of making dinner and sitting down to write this review when I received an alarm call and had to go. So if this a tad bit disjointed, that "might" explain it.   So, I LOVED Revelations. The whole series. It was a nice light, engaging fantasy without that "epic" weight dragging in the middle of my stomach. I liked Royce and Hadrian. Their characters, their interactions [with others and each other], their adventure.   But considering how Revelations ended, I didn't want "After the Story" stories. So when I heard there were going to be more stories, I was feeling very mixed. Then it was revealed that all stories would be prequels and suddenly, God's on His throne and All's Right with the World.   So I went into this book with pretty high expectations. And I'm glad to say that I was not disappointed.   It was quite the story, seeing how Royce and Hadrian came together. Not at all like how I was expecting or even thought of. In Revelations we don't really see just how messed up Royce was, or how hopeless Hadrian was. We see them together, as a team. This book shows them as the separate individuals that they used to be.   In essence, this is the raw material that Revelations was forged from.   Seeing more of Gwen was nice too. I felt like she was a barely there character in Revelations, so to see her here, fleshed out, made her much more "real".   After reading this book, now I'm looking forward to The Thorn and the Rose even more. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
This is my first book by Sullivan - and, it seems, it is meant as a prequel to a more popular (or perhaps just older) series.

Anyway, I had no issues following the story or knowing the characters based on this one story alone. Are there references to other things/characters that might have played a role in other books, maybe (i.e. Merrick, Wren, Arcadius), but since I don't know them, and Sullivan didn't drag on and on about stuff outside this story, I don't feel like I missed out on anything.

As the story started, I had some fear that it was going to be slow and pondering - and perhaps it is (it is not an action novel, after all), but the characters are interesting and distinct and we grow to care what happens to them.

The story seemed to stop rather suddenly, but even that makes sense since it is a multi-book series, and the events in this book were adequately concluded... ( )
  crazybatcow | Aug 22, 2016 |

Thieving assassin Royce Melborn and warrior Hadrian Blackwater are forced to work together to steal a treasure that no one can reach in the Crown Tower, an impregnable fortress that houses the realm's most prized possessions.

Michael J. Sullivan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,148,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible