The Crown Tower by Michael J. Sullivan

fun read, but let's be frank, this book wouldn't stand on it's own. It's only interesting as the origin of our duo of heroes, how they met and how Gwen got to meet both too. But as plot, intrigue or quest goes, there is none in this book. Read "Revelations" trilogy first or you'll wonder why people like this book. 3 stars for a fun read. ( )
  kinwolf | Feb 11, 2017 |
I was in the middle of making dinner and sitting down to write this review when I received an alarm call and had to go. So if this a tad bit disjointed, that "might" explain it.   So, I LOVED Revelations. The whole series. It was a nice light, engaging fantasy without that "epic" weight dragging in the middle of my stomach. I liked Royce and Hadrian. Their characters, their interactions [with others and each other], their adventure.   But considering how Revelations ended, I didn't want "After the Story" stories. So when I heard there were going to be more stories, I was feeling very mixed. Then it was revealed that all stories would be prequels and suddenly, God's on His throne and All's Right with the World.   So I went into this book with pretty high expectations. And I'm glad to say that I was not disappointed.   It was quite the story, seeing how Royce and Hadrian came together. Not at all like how I was expecting or even thought of. In Revelations we don't really see just how messed up Royce was, or how hopeless Hadrian was. We see them together, as a team. This book shows them as the separate individuals that they used to be.   In essence, this is the raw material that Revelations was forged from.   Seeing more of Gwen was nice too. I felt like she was a barely there character in Revelations, so to see her here, fleshed out, made her much more "real".   After reading this book, now I'm looking forward to The Thorn and the Rose even more. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I skipped volumes 2 and 3 of The Riyria Revelations series in order to read "The Crown Tower", which is the first volume of the series that chronologically precedes Revelations. I'm sure that isn't how you are "supposed" to read them, but I don't like reading rules. This book is the origin story of how Royce and Hadrian met, learned to trust each other and became a team of professional thieves. Each of them is an appealing character and I really enjoyed reading about their start. There was also a surprising twist to the plot at the end that I liked a lot. I'm beginning to sense a pattern here though. Riyria goes on an impossible mission, they succeed and then they go on to the next quest. I'm not sure that my interest will be sustained over 4 more books of the two series, but I intend to read at least one more book.

The only thing I didn't like about the book was the Gwen story which took up a lot of the book. She is a plucky prostitute who leads a revolt of her co-workers to establish their own brothel. Really, not every book needs a plucky female character. Maybe it's an attempt to appeal to the female demographic of readers, but in this case I just found it a distraction. If I had been reading, rather than listening to, this book I would have skipped those chapters. I expect that Gwen will play a part in the next book of the series and I'm not looking forward to it.

The narration of the audiobook by Tim Gerard Reynolds was very good. ( )
  fhudnell | Aug 30, 2016 |
This is my first book by Sullivan - and, it seems, it is meant as a prequel to a more popular (or perhaps just older) series.

Anyway, I had no issues following the story or knowing the characters based on this one story alone. Are there references to other things/characters that might have played a role in other books, maybe (i.e. Merrick, Wren, Arcadius), but since I don't know them, and Sullivan didn't drag on and on about stuff outside this story, I don't feel like I missed out on anything.

As the story started, I had some fear that it was going to be slow and pondering - and perhaps it is (it is not an action novel, after all), but the characters are interesting and distinct and we grow to care what happens to them.

The story seemed to stop rather suddenly, but even that makes sense since it is a multi-book series, and the events in this book were adequately concluded... ( )
  crazybatcow | Aug 22, 2016 |
Good :) ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |

Thieving assassin Royce Melborn and warrior Hadrian Blackwater are forced to work together to steal a treasure that no one can reach in the Crown Tower, an impregnable fortress that houses the realm's most prized possessions.

Michael J. Sullivan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

43 wanted2 pay1 pay

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,257,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible