The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and…

The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the… (2013)

by Daniel James Brown, George Yeoman Pocock (Contributor)

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (terran)
    terran: Both books deal with participants in the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin and with personal stories of individuals growing up in that time period. Both are incredible true stories that read like fiction.
    Bucking the Sun by Ivan Doig (terran)
    terran: Even though Doig's book is fiction, it deals with people struggling to make a living during the Great Depression. Both books deal with the construction of massive public works that employed thousands. (Hoover Dam and Fort Peck Dam)

English (107)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (109)
[The Boys in the Boat] is the story of nine seemingly unremarkable lads who bested the world's top rowing teams at the 1936 Olympics. Those Olympics, of course, were hosted by Nazi Germany, and the Germans fully expected the results in the majority of events to demonstrate Arian superiority. We all know how that turned out. And of course those nine unremarkable boys played a part in the Nazi's athletic comeuppance.

In the depths of the Great Depression, each boy had enrolled at the University of Washington and had gone out for eight-oared crew. Their boat was a 60-foot-long scull, hand-built by a British ex-patriot named George Pocock. Each oar was fashioned by hand from a carefully selected 12-foot spruce plank. The season ran from September through the following June, with a winter hiatus December through February. It amounted to weeks and weeks of practice in all kinds of weather to prepare for two regattas: one for west coast teams, one, on the east coast, for the national championship.

Author Daniel James Brown weaves together multiple threads to tell the story—background on the rowers, the coaches, the rival teams and coaches, the boatbuilder—himself an unparalleled master of all aspects of rowing—the grueling practices and the mysterious slumps the teams experienced, the psychology of teamwork, the role of the coxswain as tactician, and, of course, the exhilaration of winning, especially winning the Olympics.

Recommended.
  weird_O | May 18, 2016 |
4.5 stars! Second time reading/listening to this book. I love it! It's almost perfect. Was just at the Pierce County Reads author event. It was great! ( )
  irishred5 | Apr 30, 2016 |
I listened to the audiobook. A friend recommended. Well written & well researched. I liked the reading done by Edward Herrmann a lot, maybe more than if I'd read the book myself. ( )
  cjservis | Apr 28, 2016 |
Read as a recommendation - and glad I did. Although I felt the author over did it with detail, and it seemed very repetitious at times, I throughly enjoyed it. I had no idea of the difficulty in crewing an 8-person shell and the utter reliance each crew member had on each other. I especially enjoyed the way the author showed how the Germans excelled at propaganda. It explains a lot of the gullibility of people through out the ages. ( )
  repb | Apr 17, 2016 |
Tells the story of the 1936 Washington 9 man rowing team that competed in the Olympics in Germany. Much more than a sports story - its about growing up during the Depression and finding the strength to go far beyond surviving. Excellent read. ( )
  addunn3 | Apr 9, 2016 |
In “The Boys on the Boat,” Daniel James Brown tells the astonishing story of the UW’s 1936 eight-oar varsity crew and its rise from obscurity to fame, drawing on interviews with the surviving members of the team and their diaries, journals and photographs. A writer and former writing teacher at Stanford and San Diego, Brown lives outside of Seattle, where one of his elderly neighbors harbored a history Brown never imagined: he was Joe Rantz, one of the members of the iconic UW 1936 crew.

[Daniel James] Brown's book juxtaposes the coming together of the Washington crew team against the Nazis' preparations for the [1936 Berlin Olympic] Games, weaving together a history that feels both intimately personal and weighty in its larger historical implications. This book has already been bought for cinematic development, and it's easy to see why: When Brown, a Seattle-based nonfiction writer, describes a race, you feel the splash as the oars slice the water, the burning in the young men's muscles and the incredible drive that propelled these rowers to glory.
added by sgump | editSmithsonian, Chloë Schama (Jun 1, 2013)

Daniel James Brownprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pocock, George YeomanContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
It's a great art, is rowing. It's the finest art there is. It's a symphony of motion. And when you're rowing well, why it's nearing perfection. And when you near perfection, you're touching the Divine. It touches the you of you. Which is your soul. - George Yeoman Pocock
(But I desire and I long every day to go home and to look upon the day of my return . . . for already I have suffered and labored at so many things on the waves.) - Homer
For Gordon Adam Chuck Day Don Hume George "Shorty" Hunt Jim "Stub" McMillin Bob Moch Roger Morris Joe Rantz John White Jr. and all those other bright, shining boys of the 1930s - our fathers, our grandfathers, our uncles, our old friends
(Prologue) This book was born on a cold, drizzly, late spring day when I clambered over the split-rail cedar fence that surrounds my pasture and made my way through wet woods to the modest frame house where Joe Rantz lay dying.
Monday, October 9, 1933, began as a gray day in Seattle.

Brown quotes so extensively from George Pocock's diaries and letters, that I consider Pocock to be a contributor to the book. His wisdom helps to make this one memorable and deeply moving.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067002581X, Hardcover)

For readers of Laura Hillenbrand's Seabiscuit and Unbroken, the dramatic story of the American rowing team that stunned the world at Hitler's 1936 Berlin Olympics

Daniel James Brown’s robust book tells the story of the University of Washington’s 1936 eight-oar crew and their epic quest for an Olympic gold medal, a team that transformed the sport and grabbed the attention of millions of Americans. The sons of loggers, shipyard workers, and farmers, the boys defeated elite rivals first from eastern and British universities and finally the German crew rowing for Adolf Hitler in the Olympic games in Berlin, 1936.

The emotional heart of the story lies with one rower, Joe Rantz, a teenager without family or prospects, who rows not for glory, but to regain his shattered self-regard and to find a place he can call home. The crew is assembled  by an enigmatic coach and mentored by a visionary, eccentric British boat builder, but it is their trust in each other that makes them a victorious team. They remind the country of what can be done when everyone quite literally pulls together—a perfect melding of commitment, determination, and optimism.

Drawing on the boys’ own diaries and journals, their photos and memories of a once-in-a-lifetime shared dream, The Boys in the Boat is an irresistible story about beating the odds and finding hope in the most desperate of times—the improbable, intimate story of nine working-class boys from the American west who, in the depths of the Great Depression, showed the world what true grit really meant. It will appeal to readers of Erik Larson, Timothy Egan, James Bradley, and David Halberstam's The Amateurs.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:00 -0400)

Daniel James Brown's robust book tells the story of the University of Washingtons 1936 eight-oar crew and their epic quest for an Olympic gold medal, a team that transformed the sport and grabbed the attention of millions of Americans.

Daniel James Brown is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,868,893 books! | Top bar: Always visible