The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and…

by Daniel James Brown

7625312,170 ()71
    Bucking the Sun by Ivan Doig (terran)
    terran: Even though Doig's book is fiction, it deals with people struggling to make a living during the Great Depression. Both books deal with the construction of massive public works that employed thousands. (Hoover Dam and Fort Peck Dam)
    Unbroken : a World War II story of survival, resilience, and redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (terran)
    terran: Both books deal with participants in the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin and with personal stories of individuals growing up in that time period. Both are incredible true stories that read like fiction.

The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown is a nonfiction book that relates history in a beautifully readable narrative. Through the personal story of one young man, this book covers the global story of the years leading up to World War II. I never had an interest in rowing, nor do I really have one now; but, for the 400 pages of this book, I turned into an avid fan.

Read my complete review at: http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2015/02/the-boys-in-boat-nine-americans-and.htm... ( )
  njmom3 | Feb 23, 2015 |
So much history in this little story of college boys rowing for the gold. What a metaphor for the times in which they lived. Outstanding history, wonderful human interest, and white knuckle excitement...a great read. ( )
  readyreader | Feb 20, 2015 |
Excellent read, whether you care about rowing or not. Its a great story of human courage and perseverance. The classic American story of every day persons stepping up to do great things. ( )
  exfed | Feb 14, 2015 |
This is one of the best works of history/biography that I have read in a long time. Very detailed, descriptive, and moving. I have never known much about the competitive sport of crew and come away from this reading with the utmost respect and regard for anyone involved.. The member of our 1936 Olympic 8 boat fully deserve our respect and admiration. The fact that they are still revered within the rowing community speaks volumes to their legacy. I highly recommend this book to just about anyone. ( )
  labdaddy4 | Feb 12, 2015 |
You know that feeling of wishing a really wonderful story would just go on and on? Well I have never felt that way about a work of non-fiction until now. This is absolutely fantastic! The story itself has all the elements of drama, suspense, and memorable characters, set against the historical backdrop of the Dust Bowl, the Great Depression, and the rise of Nazi Germany. However, I believe that the crowning achievement here is the writing. Brown is able to wax philosophical and poetic without sounding the least bit artificial. His ability to pain the context of the national and international within which these young men rose to such glory is truly impressive. He interweaves personal biographical details with multiple social perspectives. I new the outcome of the gold medal race, yet found myself holding my breath, in part because I felt like I knew the crew members personally by the end of the book. I could hardly put the book down. Outstanding! ( )
  hemlokgang | Jan 28, 2015 |
In “The Boys on the Boat,” Daniel James Brown tells the astonishing story of the UW’s 1936 eight-oar varsity crew and its rise from obscurity to fame, drawing on interviews with the surviving members of the team and their diaries, journals and photographs. A writer and former writing teacher at Stanford and San Diego, Brown lives outside of Seattle, where one of his elderly neighbors harbored a history Brown never imagined: he was Joe Rantz, one of the members of the iconic UW 1936 crew.

[Daniel James] Brown's book juxtaposes the coming together of the Washington crew team against the Nazis' preparations for the [1936 Berlin Olympic] Games, weaving together a history that feels both intimately personal and weighty in its larger historical implications. This book has already been bought for cinematic development, and it's easy to see why: When Brown, a Seattle-based nonfiction writer, describes a race, you feel the splash as the oars slice the water, the burning in the young men's muscles and the incredible drive that propelled these rowers to glory.
added by sgump | editSmithsonian, Chloë Schama (Jun 1, 2013)

It's a great art, is rowing. It's the finest art there is. It's a symphony of motion. And when you're rowing well, why it's nearing perfection. And when you near perfection, you're touching the Divine. It touches the you of you. Which is your soul. - George Yeoman Pocock
(But I desire and I long every day to go home and to look upon the day of my return . . . for already I have suffered and labored at so many things on the waves.) - Homer
For Gordon Adam Chuck Day Don Hume George "Shorty" Hunt Jim "Stub" McMillin Bob Moch Roger Morris Joe Rantz John White Jr. and all those other bright, shining boys of the 1930s - our fathers, our grandfathers, our uncles, our old friends
(Prologue) This book was born on a cold, drizzly, late spring day when I clambered over the split-rail cedar fence that surrounds my pasture and made my way through wet woods to the modest frame house where Joe Rantz lay dying.
Monday, October 9, 1933, began as a gray day in Seattle.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067002581X, Hardcover)

For readers of Laura Hillenbrand's Seabiscuit and Unbroken, the dramatic story of the American rowing team that stunned the world at Hitler's 1936 Berlin Olympics

Daniel James Brown’s robust book tells the story of the University of Washington’s 1936 eight-oar crew and their epic quest for an Olympic gold medal, a team that transformed the sport and grabbed the attention of millions of Americans. The sons of loggers, shipyard workers, and farmers, the boys defeated elite rivals first from eastern and British universities and finally the German crew rowing for Adolf Hitler in the Olympic games in Berlin, 1936.

The emotional heart of the story lies with one rower, Joe Rantz, a teenager without family or prospects, who rows not for glory, but to regain his shattered self-regard and to find a place he can call home. The crew is assembled  by an enigmatic coach and mentored by a visionary, eccentric British boat builder, but it is their trust in each other that makes them a victorious team. They remind the country of what can be done when everyone quite literally pulls together—a perfect melding of commitment, determination, and optimism.

Drawing on the boys’ own diaries and journals, their photos and memories of a once-in-a-lifetime shared dream, The Boys in the Boat is an irresistible story about beating the odds and finding hope in the most desperate of times—the improbable, intimate story of nine working-class boys from the American west who, in the depths of the Great Depression, showed the world what true grit really meant. It will appeal to readers of Erik Larson, Timothy Egan, James Bradley, and David Halberstam's The Amateurs.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:38 -0400)

Daniel James Brown's robust book tells the story of the University of Washingtons 1936 eight-oar crew and their epic quest for an Olympic gold medal, a team that transformed the sport and grabbed the attention of millions of Americans.

Daniel James Brown is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,672,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible