The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and…

The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the… (2013)

by Daniel James Brown, George Yeoman Pocock (Contributor)

2,0201313,315 (4.32)1 / 192
    Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (terran)
    terran: Both books deal with participants in the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin and with personal stories of individuals growing up in that time period. Both are incredible true stories that read like fiction.
    Bucking the Sun by Ivan Doig (terran)
    terran: Even though Doig's book is fiction, it deals with people struggling to make a living during the Great Depression. Both books deal with the construction of massive public works that employed thousands. (Hoover Dam and Fort Peck Dam)

English (129)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  English (131)
Apparently all the best, most inspiring sports stories happened during the '30s. If you liked Seabiscuit or Unbroken, make sure you pick this one up too. ( )
  AngelClaw | Dec 1, 2016 |
This book is both sad and triumphant. Daniel James Brown was incredibly insightful in his deliverance of "The Boys in the Boat." Joe Rantz, and his fellow crew members, worked hard for their spots in the boat. They did not have this opportunity handed to them on a silver platter. Their backgrounds, the hardships they encountered along the way, and the journey to to Olympics helped them become stronger men. Some people would have withered and emotionally died under heart wrenching conditions that Joe Rantz experienced. But rather than letting it define him, he chose to rise above it.

I also appreciated reading about what was happening in Germany during this time. Adolf Hitler's rise to power and the construction of the 1936 Olympics was very informative. It was interesting to note that while the rest of the world sent professional athletes to the Olympics, America sent a crew of boys. And those boys showed the world their heart, soul, and spirit with every stroke. ( )
  caslater83 | Nov 12, 2016 |
I loved this book. It is one of the best non-fiction books I have read recently. It is lovingly written so that you can see how much the author cares about the story of these men's lives. The story is massive on the scale of WWII, but also so intimately small when it comes to these boys growth and teamwork. I really enjoyed this and would highly recommend it. ( )
  ceciliachard | Nov 7, 2016 |
Great read! It is about the U of Washington crew and their quest for 1936 Olympic gold. It is also about the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual elements of the 1930s--the depression and the Hitler Olympics. There were geographic references that I knew and those that I looked up, but it was really a book about people making the "big time." I couldn't put it down, which means that I lived with Edward Hermann, the voice/narrator, for a couple of days. We all give credit to the nine crew, but I was particularly enthralled with the leadership of Coach Al Ulbrickson, who brought them all together. I can't wait for the movie. ( )
  buffalogr | Oct 27, 2016 |
Rating: A
Daniel James Brown is a brilliant storyteller. He develops context and surrounds the reader with the knowledge of being there. This story is the heroic tale of ordinary people doing extraordinary things. It is a great study in leadership and teamwork. ( )
  jmcdbooks | Oct 2, 2016 |
In “The Boys on the Boat,” Daniel James Brown tells the astonishing story of the UW’s 1936 eight-oar varsity crew and its rise from obscurity to fame, drawing on interviews with the surviving members of the team and their diaries, journals and photographs. A writer and former writing teacher at Stanford and San Diego, Brown lives outside of Seattle, where one of his elderly neighbors harbored a history Brown never imagined: he was Joe Rantz, one of the members of the iconic UW 1936 crew.

[Daniel James] Brown's book juxtaposes the coming together of the Washington crew team against the Nazis' preparations for the [1936 Berlin Olympic] Games, weaving together a history that feels both intimately personal and weighty in its larger historical implications. This book has already been bought for cinematic development, and it's easy to see why: When Brown, a Seattle-based nonfiction writer, describes a race, you feel the splash as the oars slice the water, the burning in the young men's muscles and the incredible drive that propelled these rowers to glory.
added by sgump | editSmithsonian, Chloë Schama (Jun 1, 2013)

Daniel James Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pocock, George YeomanContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
It's a great art, is rowing. It's the finest art there is. It's a symphony of motion. And when you're rowing well, why it's nearing perfection. And when you near perfection, you're touching the Divine. It touches the you of you. Which is your soul. - George Yeoman Pocock
(But I desire and I long every day to go home and to look upon the day of my return . . . for already I have suffered and labored at so many things on the waves.) - Homer
For Gordon Adam Chuck Day Don Hume George "Shorty" Hunt Jim "Stub" McMillin Bob Moch Roger Morris Joe Rantz John White Jr. and all those other bright, shining boys of the 1930s - our fathers, our grandfathers, our uncles, our old friends
(Prologue) This book was born on a cold, drizzly, late spring day when I clambered over the split-rail cedar fence that surrounds my pasture and made my way through wet woods to the modest frame house where Joe Rantz lay dying.
Monday, October 9, 1933, began as a gray day in Seattle.

Brown quotes so extensively from George Pocock's diaries and letters, that I consider Pocock to be a contributor to the book. His wisdom helps to make this one memorable and deeply moving.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067002581X, Hardcover)

For readers of Laura Hillenbrand's Seabiscuit and Unbroken, the dramatic story of the American rowing team that stunned the world at Hitler's 1936 Berlin Olympics

Daniel James Brown’s robust book tells the story of the University of Washington’s 1936 eight-oar crew and their epic quest for an Olympic gold medal, a team that transformed the sport and grabbed the attention of millions of Americans. The sons of loggers, shipyard workers, and farmers, the boys defeated elite rivals first from eastern and British universities and finally the German crew rowing for Adolf Hitler in the Olympic games in Berlin, 1936.

The emotional heart of the story lies with one rower, Joe Rantz, a teenager without family or prospects, who rows not for glory, but to regain his shattered self-regard and to find a place he can call home. The crew is assembled  by an enigmatic coach and mentored by a visionary, eccentric British boat builder, but it is their trust in each other that makes them a victorious team. They remind the country of what can be done when everyone quite literally pulls together—a perfect melding of commitment, determination, and optimism.

Drawing on the boys’ own diaries and journals, their photos and memories of a once-in-a-lifetime shared dream, The Boys in the Boat is an irresistible story about beating the odds and finding hope in the most desperate of times—the improbable, intimate story of nine working-class boys from the American west who, in the depths of the Great Depression, showed the world what true grit really meant. It will appeal to readers of Erik Larson, Timothy Egan, James Bradley, and David Halberstam's The Amateurs.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:00 -0400)

Daniel James Brown's robust book tells the story of the University of Washingtons 1936 eight-oar crew and their epic quest for an Olympic gold medal, a team that transformed the sport and grabbed the attention of millions of Americans.

Daniel James Brown is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,657,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible