The Cabala by Thornton Wilder

The Cabala (1926)

by Thornton Wilder

1166154,992 (3)8

Not my favorite Wilder, but interesting glimpse into the world of expats in Rome. Fantastical plot with some insight into what it's like to be an expat (and what a small world it becomes once you're in a foreign country). ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
ok.....for starters, this book had no quotation marks......not sure i have ever read something without them, but it was an adjustment. Expatriates from all over convening on Rome take a young New England scholar into their high social circles giving him a year he'll remember for some time! Also a bit of a thinking book....lots of dialogue about Catholicism and royalty and the reincarnation of sorts of Roman Gods, all of this making for a bit of an effort for me beyond my desire for a pleasurable read. Wilder won 3 different Pulitzer Prizes, 1 for a novel and 2 for plays, so as always, i started at the beginning. This was his first, and i'll not hold that against him at this point. It was a quick read, but nothing that really grabbed me in any way. One hopes that experience for Wilder led to more stimulating work.....I'll keep you posted! ( )
  jeffome | Jun 25, 2013 |
Much more enjoyable than other reviews led me to expect but the end was a bit baffling. Perhaps I'm missing some context? ( )
  veracite | Apr 7, 2013 |
  veracite | Apr 6, 2013 |
  veracite | Apr 5, 2013 |
To my friends at the American Academy in Rome, 1920-1921
The train that carried me into Rome was late, overcrowded and cold.

1928. This Pulitzer Prize winning author's novel is set in Italy. Contents: First Encounters; Marcantonio; Alix; Astree-Luce and the Cardinal; The Dusk of the Gods.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:33 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,776,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible