Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Hollow City by Ransom Riggs

Hollow City

by Ransom Riggs

Series: Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children (2)

The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary (P.S.) by Simon Winchester (Sandwich76)
    The Secret Hour by Scott Westerfeld (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these suspenseful, atmospheric fantasy series follow teens with disturbing powers as they band together to fight against evil. Miss Peregrine includes spooky vintage photos and has a creepier tone than the fast-paced Midnighters.… (more)
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (thenothing)
    thenothing: Hollow City could easy be fan fiction of His Dark Materials

English (218)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (223)
I think I enjoyed this more than book 1. There was some travel to new loops, and we got to meet some interesting new peculiars. I liked that there are animal peculiars as well as human ones. The ending was action packed, with some epic battles against the hollows. All in all, a fun read. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
I liked the second book in the Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - I don't think it was quite as good as the first one but an enjoyable read nonetheless. ( )
  debbiebellows | Jun 1, 2019 |
Can't wait for the third one!! ( )
  Steampunkkitties | May 25, 2019 |
My actual rating wouldn't exactly be a 5, rather a 4.5 because there's a "je-ne-sais-quoi" that's missing, perhaps I would have liked the characters being more developed, though they grow throughout the story. However, I love that world, the Peculiars, their adventures. I wouldn't have minded if the book had been bigger :) ( )
  Sept | May 21, 2019 |
Peculiarly good! :) ( )
  gayjeg | Apr 25, 2019 |

Ransom Riggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Heybourne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Horner, DoogieDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mafi, TaherehAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGurk, John J.Production managementsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And lo! towards us coming in a boat
An old man, grizzled with the hair of eld,
Moaning: 'Woe unto you, debased souls!

Hope nevermore to look upon the heavens.
I come to lead you to the other shore;
Into eternal darkness, into fire and frost.

And thou, that yonder standest, living soul,
Withdraw from these people, who are dead!'
But he saw that I did not withdraw...

Dante's Inferno, Canto III
FOR TAHEREH
We rowed out through the harbor, past bobbing boats weeping rust from their seams, past juries of silent seabirds roosting atop the barnacled remains of sunken docks, past fishermen who lowered their nets to stare frozenly as we slipped by, uncertain whether we were real or imagined; a procession of waterborne ghosts, or ghosts soon to be.
'I love sad stories,' said Enoch. 'Especially ones where princesses get eaten by dragons and everyone dies in the end.' (chapter four)

Jacob Portman and his newfound friends travel to war-torn 1940 London where they use their unusual talents to find a cure for Miss Peregrine, the beloved headmistress of their orphanage who has been trapped in the body of a bird.

"Having escaped Miss Peregrine's island by the skin of their teeth, Jacob and his new friends, who possess supernatural abilities, must journey to London (circa 1940), the 'peculiar' capital of the world. There they hope to find a cure for their beloved headmistress, Miss Peregrine. But in this war-torn city, hideous surprises lurk around every corner"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ransom Riggs's book Hollow City: The Second Novel of Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,484,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible