Hollow City: The Second Novel of Miss…

Hollow City: The Second Novel of Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children (edition 2014)

by Ransom Riggs

3,9332091,908 (3.94)141
Member:allyflower15
Title:Hollow City: The Second Novel of Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children
Authors:Ransom Riggs
Info:Quirk Books (2014), Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Hollow City by Ransom Riggs

The Secret Hour by Scott Westerfeld (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these suspenseful, atmospheric fantasy series follow teens with disturbing powers as they band together to fight against evil. Miss Peregrine includes spooky vintage photos and has a creepier tone than the fast-paced Midnighters.… (more)
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (thenothing)
    thenothing: Hollow City could easy be fan fiction of His Dark Materials

English (208)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (213)
A very imaginative and original story full of gimmicks. In part enjoyable but also tiring, The author forced an ending that defeated the character's good works. I wish that each book of this series could have been "a standalone", each one would have been more enjoyable. ( )
  phillund | Feb 23, 2019 |
I love this series of books, can't wait for the next one to come out
  LydiaGranda | Feb 15, 2019 |
always 5 stars for creativity for these books. but I just wasn't as captured by the story in this one as I was with the first novel.

I found myself fighting to push through. However, I will say that there was an interesting twist at the end. ( )
  jawink22 | Feb 6, 2019 |
I read the first one when it first came out, so did not remember everything that had happened. I finished this one because I hate to not finish a book unless it is really bad. I probably will not read the next one in this series, it is just a bit too strange for me. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
The 2nd book in the series. I didn't like it as much as the first one, but all the characters are still great in it. It gets a little long and things work a little too perfectly. But as the team of peculiars travel, more vintage photos, characters, and settings are introduced into the story. ( )
  mandieh | Jan 17, 2019 |

Ransom Riggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Heybourne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Horner, DoogieDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mafi, TaherehAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGurk, John J.Production managementsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And lo! towards us coming in a boat
An old man, grizzled with the hair of eld,
Moaning: 'Woe unto you, debased souls!

Hope nevermore to look upon the heavens.
I come to lead you to the other shore;
Into eternal darkness, into fire and frost.

And thou, that yonder standest, living soul,
Withdraw from these people, who are dead!'
But he saw that I did not withdraw...

Dante's Inferno, Canto III
FOR TAHEREH
We rowed out through the harbor, past bobbing boats weeping rust from their seams, past juries of silent seabirds roosting atop the barnacled remains of sunken docks, past fishermen who lowered their nets to stare frozenly as we slipped by, uncertain whether we were real or imagined; a procession of waterborne ghosts, or ghosts soon to be.
'I love sad stories,' said Enoch. 'Especially ones where princesses get eaten by dragons and everyone dies in the end.' (chapter four)

Jacob Portman and his newfound friends travel to war-torn 1940 London where they use their unusual talents to find a cure for Miss Peregrine, the beloved headmistress of their orphanage who has been trapped in the body of a bird.

"Having escaped Miss Peregrine's island by the skin of their teeth, Jacob and his new friends, who possess supernatural abilities, must journey to London (circa 1940), the 'peculiar' capital of the world. There they hope to find a cure for their beloved headmistress, Miss Peregrine. But in this war-torn city, hideous surprises lurk around every corner"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ransom Riggs's book Hollow City: The Second Novel of Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,448,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible