Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Hollow City: The Second Novel of Miss…

Hollow City: The Second Novel of Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children (edition 2015)

by Ransom Riggs (Author)

Having escaped Miss Peregrine's island by the skin of their teeth, Jacob and his new friends must journey to London (circa 1940), the "peculiar" capital of the world.
Member:EileenConnon
Title:Hollow City: The Second Novel of Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children
Authors:Ransom Riggs (Author)
Info:Quirk Books (2015), Edition: Reprint, 416 pages

Hollow City by Ransom Riggs

The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary (P.S.) by Simon Winchester (Sandwich76)
    The Secret Hour by Scott Westerfeld (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these suspenseful, atmospheric fantasy series follow teens with disturbing powers as they band together to fight against evil. Miss Peregrine includes spooky vintage photos and has a creepier tone than the fast-paced Midnighters.… (more)
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (thenothing)
    thenothing: Hollow City could easy be fan fiction of His Dark Materials

English (240)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (244)
If I didn't have book 3 when I finished this book I would have been annoyed because this book ends right in the middle of the action. ( )
  Teri_O | Nov 11, 2020 |
The second instalment was a bit slower than the first. I found myself picking it up and putting it down more frequently. The story took some time to get to it's point and by the time it did there was the abrubt halt to end the story. I do enjoy how the story is woven and the intricacy in which the detail goes, but I really am not a big fan of that halting ending. I was hoping the second novel would have a smother transition. The story did have an interesting twist that will make you itching to move to the next book! ( )
  BuffyCharpentier | Oct 15, 2020 |
Man, was I ever disappointed with this book. I really loved Miss Peregrine's home for Peculiar Children, and was excited to see this sequel, but it was a total let down. The book picks up right where the last one left off, which left me a little confused as its been a while since I read it. Also the narrator's voice was just grating to me. I understand that he's a modern boy caught in another time, but the casual conversation style was just jarring in this one. I remember noticing it and not minding before. Also it was obvious to me when the author was shaping the story around a photograph. I could tell by the writing when a picture was coming up because the tone seemed to shift into being overly descriptive, which took me out of the story, instead of enhancing the plot. The whole thing was just an irritating mess and I found it a chore to finish. ( )
  klnbennett | Oct 7, 2020 |
I think, like everyone else that had read this book would agree with me that the ending was not expected. That plot-twist right there is probably what fueled me up to continue the series. This one was good but not as great as the first book. ( )
  nikkiyrj | Sep 18, 2020 |
Hollow City necessarily lacks the sense of wondrous discovery that drove its predecessor, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. By definition, this world isn't new to the reader anymore. Despite that, I like this second book in Ransom Rigg's Peculiar Children series even better than the first one.

Hollow City dives right into the action and doesn't let up. It doesn't need to take the time to orient the reader to this peculiar world, and Mr. Riggs takes full advantage of that fact. It starts at a sprinting pace and draws the reader along breathlessly. This is an action story, a thriller, and an adventure tale.

Through the action, we learn more about the characters by witnessing how they react, behave, and cope with all the twists and turns of their journey. Each character gains depth and nuance as their world expands around them. We learn more about the history and mythology of the peculiars as the horizons of that world broaden before us.

Hollow City is strong second outing in a compelling and original series. ( )
  johnthelibrarian | Aug 11, 2020 |

Ransom Riggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Heybourne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Horner, DoogieDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mafi, TaherehAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGurk, John J.Production managementsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And lo! towards us coming in a boat
An old man, grizzled with the hair of eld,
Moaning: 'Woe unto you, debased souls!

Hope nevermore to look upon the heavens.
I come to lead you to the other shore;
Into eternal darkness, into fire and frost.

And thou, that yonder standest, living soul,
Withdraw from these people, who are dead!'
But he saw that I did not withdraw...

Dante's Inferno, Canto III
FOR TAHEREH
We rowed out through the harbor, past bobbing boats weeping rust from their seams, past juries of silent seabirds roosting atop the barnacled remains of sunken docks, past fishermen who lowered their nets to stare frozenly as we slipped by, uncertain whether we were real or imagined; a procession of waterborne ghosts, or ghosts soon to be.
'I love sad stories,' said Enoch. 'Especially ones where princesses get eaten by dragons and everyone dies in the end.' (chapter four)

Jacob Portman and his newfound friends travel to war-torn 1940 London where they use their unusual talents to find a cure for Miss Peregrine, the beloved headmistress of their orphanage who has been trapped in the body of a bird.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ransom Riggs's book Hollow City: The Second Novel of Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,610,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible