21: The Final Unfinished Voyage of Jack…

21: The Final Unfinished Voyage of Jack Aubrey (Aubrey/Maturin Series) (edition 2004)

by Patrick O'Brian

Member:Ammianus
Title:21: The Final Unfinished Voyage of Jack Aubrey (Aubrey/Maturin Series)
Authors:Patrick O'Brian
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2004), Hardcover, 144 pages
Tags:Napoleonic, Naval, historical fiction

The Final Unfinished Voyage of Jack Aubrey by Patrick O'Brian

English (8)  Swedish (1)  All languages (9)
This has four stars only because it is unfinished - yet Jack and Stephen sail on together, forever. ( )
  rosieclaverton | May 18, 2014 |
*tears*

I started the first book in this series in January, and determined to read through them all by the end of the year. (Could have read them all in a much shorter time, of course, but I wanted to draw it out, and make the experience last as long as possible. But, now its over, and I'm not ready...

This last entry in a wonderful series is only three chapters. Less, really, as O'Brian stopped mid-sentence, and died without finishing it. Still, he left us with all our beloved friends seemingly healthy, and happy, and with much to look forward to. Really, in a way, its the best sort of ending, as the lack of resolution allows the reader the freedom to imagine what happens next. I'm sad that I'll never read another tale of Aubrey and Maturin, and their adventures on the sea, but so very happy for the 20 and a partial volumes we spent together. ( )
  duende | Feb 6, 2014 |
A fascinating glimpse into the mind and writing process of Patrick O'Brian. Not really for anyone else.

I loved it. But tinged with such sadness that he never finished it. I'm somehow reassured that I have placed my fandom in the right place when I see just how much attention to detail went into each book. The half finished sketch of the table seating plan on the last handwritten page caught me out . . .

If you haven't tried these books yet then please do so, for if you like them you will like them a great deal. ( )
  psiloiordinary | Sep 1, 2012 |
This book is interesting because it includes both copies of the handwritten pages and the typed pages Mr. O'Brian left behind. The forward points out places where the story has been re-worked and polished and points out some of the things that make O'Brian prose so accomplished. The story itself is a tantalizing glimpse of what surely would have been another welcome episode in the series. There are lovely moments of friendship and we even get to see the extended family. I wish I could read the handwritten pages, but my skills at deciphering them are limited. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Mar 13, 2012 |
The 5 stars is for all of Patrick O'Brian's works. Patrick O'Brian, thank you for these wonderful literary characters and their friendship. The past few years in which I have read these books for the first time have been a treat, and I look forward to re-reading them.

Also, I think "21" is a fitting place to end this series. The author deserves a "21"-gun salute.

Rest in peace. ( )
  wispywillow | Dec 20, 2011 |

Patrick O'Brianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Waldegrave, WilliamForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hunt, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snow, Richard F.Afterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tull, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039306025X, Hardcover)

In response to the interest of millions of Patrick O'Brian fans, here is the final, partial installment of the Aubrey/Maturin series.

Blue at the Mizzen (novel #20) ended with Jack Aubrey getting the news, in Chile, of his elevation to flag rank: Rear Admiral of the Blue Squadron, with orders to sail to the South Africa station. The next novel, unfinished and untitled at the time of the author's death, would have been the chronicle of that mission, and much else besides. The three chapters left on O'Brian's desk at the time of his death are presented here both in printed version-including his corrections to the typescript-and a facsimile of his manuscript, which goes several pages beyond the end of the typescript to include a duel between Stephen Maturin and an impertinent officer who is courting his fiancée.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:49 -0400)

Blue at the Mizzen (novel #20) ended with Jack Aubrey getting the news, in Chile, of his elevation to flag rank: Rear Admiral of the Blue Squadron, with orders to sail to the South Africa station. The next novel, unfinished and untitled at the time of the author's death, would have been the chronicle of that mission, and much else besides. The three chapters left on O'Brian's desk at the time of his death are presented here both in printed version-including his corrections to the typescript-and a facsimile of his manuscript, which goes several pages beyond the end of the typescript to include a duel between Stephen Maturin and an impertinent officer who is courting his fiancee. Of course we would rather have had the whole story; instead we have this proof that O'Brian's powers of observation, his humor, and his understanding of his characters were undiminished to the end.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

W.W. Norton

Two editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 039306025X, 0393339335

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,612,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible