Once Upon a Curse by Peter S Beagle

Once Upon a Curse (edition 2012)

by Peter S Beagle (Author), Nancy Kress, Anna Kashina (Editor)

Member:elwen
Title:Once Upon a Curse
Authors:Peter S Beagle (Author)
Other authors:Nancy Kress, Anna Kashina (Editor)
Info:Dragonwell Publishing (2012), Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Your library, eBook, Fantasy
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fantasy, eBook, EarlyReviewers, Fairy Tales, Tales

Once Upon a Curse by Peter S. Beagle

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What attracted my attention about this book was the story by Peter Beagle. This was an excellent story that sparkled like a diamond. But it was no diamond in the rough. The other stories in this collection varied from good to riveting, and kudos to Anna Kashina for editing this collection. A number of stories were so good that I could not choose a favourite. But if I had to choose, it would be "But Can You Let Him Go", a re-telling of the Cinderella story. It has depth in both plot and character development that is fully mature but without losing the magic of the fairy tale. I loved it! ( )
  jotoyo | Oct 8, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I requested this short story collection because Peter S. Beagle was featured. I still haven't read any of his novels, which I really need to remedy. But I was pleased with the other stories here, not just his, which makes me happy. I did get the feeling that I should recognize the myths some of these stories are based on, but I suppose my mythology is lacking. Many of the stories tasted familiar, as if I had read something like it before, but I couldn't pin it down. For all that, this collection had me reading fast, because the stories are well written. Beagle's story is about the personification of Death (seems like I've seen quite a few of those lately) but it's a good twist on the theme. And there is always a price for talking with the one who will take you out of the world...

Some of the fairy tales are repeated in different authors' stories, but each one is told in a unique way. Some were creepy, yet romantic, and others just made me squirm. These are not fairy tales you would tell your young children, but YA lovers would be comfortable. Overall a good, if dark, collection and a good introduction to the various authors.

Received as a digital ARC via LibraryThing's Early Reviewer program. ( )
  etoiline | Aug 16, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Once Upon a Curse: Stories and Fairy Tales for Adult Readers is collection of beautifully-written and sometimes thought-provoking stories taking a sideways look at familiar fairy tales and some not-so-familiar folk tales. They're not kidding about the curse part, though. The "happily ever after" is hard to find in some of these stories. One of the stories seemed familiar, but the rest were new to me. Anyway, a very fine collection and I recommend it.
  tardis | Jul 3, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a great collection of short stories from authors that I love (like Peter Beagle) and some authors that I've never heard of before (but oh- I am so going to find other works from them now!).

One of the main reasons I love reading these types of collections is that it introduces me to authors that I may never run across in my normal book shopping. Usually I also get bored with part of a normal collection. So to find an anthology where all but one (which still was OK but didn't drag me in like all the others) I loved is a feat indeed.

Waring: I'm pretty sure that there is at least one tale from one of a past anthology collections I've read, but it was still good to re-read it :)

Overall, I'd recommend for anyone that likes fairy tale remakes, interested in finding some new fantasy authors and for those that like a bit of twists in their short stories.

Received this book from the publisher for a review via the LibraryThing.com Early Reviewer giveaway. ( )
  llyramoon | Jun 17, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It's rare for me to wholeheartedly recommend an anthology, but I am recommending this one. Once Upon a Curse is a collection of amazing fairy tale interpretations from some pretty fantastic authors. With short story collections, I usually only like a couple and am neutral about the rest, but for this one there isn't one story that I didn't like. Most of them, I loved.

There are some things keeping me from giving this book a perfect rating. The last story definitely could have been cut by at least ten pages. While it was interesting to read about all the different cultural retellings of Cinderella, I don't think it was necessary to the main plot and all the stories-within-the-story made it drag. There were also a couple of others where the endings fell a bit flat, but not enough to make me dislike them outright.

There are two Sleeping Beauty stories in here (both excellent), along with Bluebeard, Cinderella, "Diamonds and Toads," among others. Anna Kashina has become my new favorite fantasy author with her story "Solstice Maiden," and I most definitely plan to check out her other works. If you're at all a fan of fantasy, you will find at least one story in this book to love (although, I'm betting that you'll find more). These stories are all entertaining, full of twists, and have interesting characters.

*I received a free copy of this book from the publisher through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program.* ( )
  sedelia | Apr 18, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0983832056, Paperback)

STEP INTO THE WORLD OF MYTH AND MAGIC.^p^p Fair maidens, handsome princes, witches, and fairy godmothers all show their dark and dangerous side in this anthology inspired by myths and fairy tales, retold by some of the best authors in this generation and by some upcoming new talents. Each beautifully crafted story brings an unusual twist to the traditional tale, from Cinderella's story told from the not-so-kind fairy godmother's point of view, to the Bluebeard tale showing the lure of this dark and dangerous man that drives young girls to rush willingly to their fate.^p^p Beautifully presented with cover art by Howard David Johnson, this collection brings together a unique set of authors that will take the readers on a wild ride through magical realms of Ancient Greece, old Russia, medieval Europe, and modern day America.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:38 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Once Upon A Curse by Peter Beagle was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,550,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible