Chasing Shadows by Swati Avasthi

Chasing Shadows

by Swati Avasthi, Craig Phillips (Illustrator)

Other authors: Latifah Cornelius (Additional inking)

Had to DNF because of the adult language, but it's a really cool concept (YA lit combined with graphic novel), and well-written. I was totally sucked into the story and bummed to put it down.

Advance copy received via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
CHASING SHADOWS isn't the type of book I normally read. I'm an action oriented, zombie-loving kinda gal, but I read Swati Avasthi's SPLIT and was so taken with it, that I quickly picked up this book the second I saw that it was available

One of Avasthi's great strengths are her characters. They live. They breathe. They are dimensional and so realistic that it's hard not to be drawn into the stories where she places them.

In CHASING SHADOWS the principle characters are Holly, her twin brother Corey, and their best friend and girl friend, Savitri (Sav). They are high schoolers in their senior year, and while deeply bound to one another, they face the divide that can be college. Corey and Holly are interested, but not inspired to leave the home town they love. Savitri, however, has high aspirations and all three of them are trying to come to grips with the fact that Sav is moving on. That Princeton or another school beacons.

All of their feelings about this are stripped away and made absolutely insignificant when Corey is shot and dies right in front of the girls.

What follows is a descent in sorrow and madness as the girls try to cope with the depth of their loss; and as they get the crazy notion to track down Corey's assassin.

CHASING SHADOWS is told in a partially graphic novel style. There is mostly text, but also some wonderful graphic novel pages by Craig Phillips.

As a read I found it gut wrenching. Swati's portrayal of their grief and their parents' grief made me have to put the book down twice. But I always came back, because there's a mystery involved. And because I needed to know what the girls would do.

This is a great Halloween read, by the way. There's a creepy under-story to the real world adventure. ( )
  PamFamilyLibrary | Oct 16, 2013 |

Swati Avasthiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Phillips, CraigIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Cornelius, LatifahAdditional inkingsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Copping, LukeCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Phillips, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Madness is the emergency exit.

--Alan Moore, The Killing Joke
For my husband, John Yopp, who remains my compass--
All roads together.
Step for step.
I am not The Leopardess, but sometimes I wish I were.

As I dangle off the edge of this roof, I could use her steel claws. Superheroes get Wicket Toys, Cinematic Escapes, and Guaranteed Wins. If I could live in a comic, I'd be The Leopardess. And if I were The Leopardess, I'd be Fearless.

Chasing Shadows is a searing look at the impact of one random act of violence.

Before: Corey, Holly, and Savitri are one unit—fast, strong, inseparable. Together they turn Chicago concrete and asphalt into a freerunner’s jungle gym, ricocheting off walls, scaling buildings, leaping from rooftop to rooftop.

But acting like a superhero doesn’t make you bulletproof...

After: Holly and Savitri are coming unglued. Holly says she's chasing Corey's killer, chasing revenge. Savitri fears Holly's just running wild—and leaving her behind. Friends should stand by each other in times of crissi. But can you hold on too tight? Too long?

In this intense novel, told in two voices, and incorporating comic-style art sections, Swati Avasthi creates a gripping portrait of two girls teetering on the edge of grief and insanity. Two girls who will find out just how many ways there are to lose a friend . . . and how many ways to be lost.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:05 -0400)

"Chasing Shadows is a searing look at the impact of one random act of violence. Before: Corey, Holly, and Savitri are one unit-- fast, strong, inseparable. Together they turn Chicago concrete and asphalt into a freerunner's jungle gym, ricocheting off walls, scaling buildings, leaping from rooftop to rooftop. But acting like a superhero doesn't make you bulletproof. After: Holly and Savitri are coming unglued. Holly says she's chasing Corey's killer, chasing revenge. Savitri fears Holly's just running wild-- and leaving her behind. Friends should stand by each other in times of crisis. But can you hold on too tight? Too long? In this intense novel, told in two voices, and incorporating comic-style art sections, Swati Avasthi creates a gripping portrait of two girls teetering on the edge of grief and insanity. Two girls who will find out just how many ways there are to lose a friend-- and how many ways to be lost" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,118,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible