Eastern Air Lines: A History, 1926-1991 by…

Eastern Air Lines: A History, 1926-1991 (edition 2013)

by David Lee Russell

Member:liz.mabry
Title:Eastern Air Lines: A History, 1926-1991
Authors:David Lee Russell
Info:McFarland (2013), Paperback, 244 pages
Collections:Nonfiction, Currently reading
Tags:history, airlines, early reviewers, to be reviewed

Eastern Air Lines: A History, 1926-1991 by David Lee Russell

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
McFarland books are often hit or miss, and in either category they carry a substantial price tag. David Russell's history of Eastern Air Lines unfortunately falls into more of the "miss" category, but that is due more to subpar editing by the publisher than anything else. The author does an excellent job chronicling the history of the airline and the individuals that led it. He masterfully interweaves all the facets of corporate history, making such things as airline deregulation and business economics understandable. But for all the information that the author includes, the book is filled with typos. If one can get past the publishing mistakes, the information in Russell's book makes it a fine addition to any aviation library, just let the reader be forewarned. ( )
  reenactorman | Dec 5, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I got this book out purely of curiosity but I have to say I did kind of enjoy reading it.
Quite interesting read, however the book I got still had a lot of editing errors. ( )
  gazeebo88 | May 10, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Russell has created a really remarkable history of Eastern Air Lines - an airline that many people today don't know much (if anything) about, but which played a significant role in the birth and early decades of flight in America. This is clearly a labor of love for the author - it's remarkably detailed and well sourced, and written in a compelling and engaging manner. Recommended for anyone who is interested in airlines or the history of American industry. ( )
  PJNeal | Apr 13, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have adequate interest in anything related to aeronautics and especially the dynamics of a business that are involved with aeronautics. Once it arrived in my hands, I opened it and got so immersed into that! The author have researched the history of this particular airlines extensively that made it so fascinating! Especially this colorful and complicated Eddie Rickenbacker! This book have been written like the Rise and Fall of The Roman Empire as it blends the origins, successes, failures, politics, corporate aspects, and it's downfall so beautifully! It is highly recommended even for a non-aviation fans/ enthusiasts! This is my first review of a book that I have been chosen to read and write a review. ( )
  Deaf65 | Mar 2, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Fascinating book! I was kind of vaguely aware of Eddie Rickenbacker but knew nothing about him beyond that he was an ace in WWI. I'm a native Ohioan but didn't realize that he was also and that he was also a race car driver. Beyond being an interesting history of the airline, the information about Rickenbacker made this book a great read. The details about the bankruptcy of the airline and the reasons for it were quite interesting. I very much enjoyed this book and learning more about a airline that I never flew but was a familiar name throughout my childhood. ( )
  jmsksu | Feb 12, 2014 |
My memory of Eastern Air Lines began on the sunny Friday morning of September 18, 1970, when I boarded a Boeing 727 aircraft in Pensacola, Florida.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

David Lee Russell's book Eastern Air Lines was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,871,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible