Teaching with Harry Potter: Essays on…

Teaching with Harry Potter: Essays on Classroom Wizardry from Elementary…

by Valerie Estelle Frankel

3519321,274 (4.11)2

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As with any book of essays written by a variety of authors, this book was hit or miss. Some of the essays were very good - the Rule-Breaking essay in particular was good for discussing HP with my kids. But some of them were exceedingly boring.
  Suso711 | May 22, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm honestly a bit disappointed by this book. I'm an elementary school teacher who was expecting cool hands-on teaching strategies, but instead, found a book of essays geared toward middle, high school, and college teachers. Literally, the word 'elementary' has only three results in the index, and none of them generate ideas or focus extensively on elementary classroom teaching, making the title pretty inaccurate. There are plenty of resources for an HP-filled classroom on Pinterest and other websites that are far more practical and helpful than the essays in this book.
  Runa | Feb 12, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"From Hogwarts Academy..." - exceptionally disjointed and not very interesting. It seemed like an undergrad's attempt at trying to sell their self "And I did this, and this, and then I did this..." Very long-winded for having so little content of value.

"The Nuances of Rule-Breaking" This was actually very interesting and offered lots of useful advise for reading HP with younger children.

"Harry Potter and the Child with Autism" Personally, as someone who has been diagnosed as being on the "spectrum" I found this highly insulting. She offers out-dated advice that is directly contradicted by those of us with autism (the person-first classification is a big one - it highlights the disorder, creates awkward word-usage and stigmatizes the individual. We don't say "a person with blonde hair" we say "blonde." This person-first crap is only sponsored by over-zealous PC social justice warriors who don't bother - you know - asking the people about how they feel being labeled that way). She also hides her son's autism from him, reinforcing the stigma and the idea that this is something to be ashamed of. She also detailed her intentions to have a "coming-out" party. Personally, I find this highly insulting and degrading. Similar to the "Conjoined Fetus Lady" episode of South Park (believe it or not, it's exceptionally apt for how many people with disabilities get treated in completely ridiculous ways). She also lauds Jenny McCarthy for her autism activism. Oh yay, let's celebrate a woman who claimed autism was worse than death and continues to teach the world heinous mis-conceptions about autism.

Section 2 had little (if anything) to do with actually teaching Harry Potter and instead documents the difficulties people might have with HP because of religious convictions. ( )
  benuathanasia | Mar 5, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm not sure what happened but I added this book and reviewed it last year. So here we go again. Admittedly it has been a year now since I read it so it's not as fresh on my mind. I enjoyed this book. The harry Potter series took the world by storm. It didn't matter if you were six or sixty, this series broadened and shaped our imaginations in unbelievable ways. It was great to read essays that other people had wrote on how it influenced their life. It's a great read and would recommend it to anyone. ( )
  William2004 | Apr 22, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love when fiction, a made-up story, can be used to educate. This book is divided into three categories which makes it easy to 'go to' depending on who wants to know. It's always interesting to see how one persons interpretation of a writing differs or agrees with your own interpretation. Who knew that Harry Potter was more than just a cute kid with magical talent! ( )
  totsgram | Jan 15, 2014 |

"The Harry Potter phenomenon created a surge in reading with a lasting effect on all areas of culture, especially education. Today, teachers across the world are harnessing the power of the series, using it to reach out to students young and old as a gateway to more challenging literature"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Valerie Estelle Frankel's book Teaching with Harry Potter was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Valerie Estelle Frankel is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,403,378 books! | Top bar: Always visible