A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams

A Hundred Summers (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Beatriz Williams

Member:abookandalattee
Title:A Hundred Summers
Authors:Beatriz Williams
Info:Putnam Adult (2013), Hardcover, 368 pages
Tags:ToRead

A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams (2013)

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (FFortuna)
    The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Extremely similar setup (although they do diverge somewhat in plot later on), and similar tone.

I've spent a lot of time lately going through Beatriz Williams books. Luckily did I have a lot of them available as audiobooks. Like this one. It's a pure joy listening to Williams books.

In A Hundred Summers are we introduced to Lily Dane who has returned to the summerhouse at Seaview, Rhode Island. However, her peaceful summer is interrupted when Nick and Budgie Greenwald arrives. The couple has just married and they are there to restore Budgie's family's old house. Lily and Budgie used to best friends, and Nick was Lily's boyfriend. So, this reunion is hard for Lily. Through the book, we get to know more about Lily's past through flashbacks as the summer progress and Lily try to get used to having Budgie and Nick back in her life.

As usual is the story Beatrix Williams has woven together fabulous. I spent some blissful hours listening to this book while working and I must say that if there is one thing Williams can do is take what seems to be a kind of straightforward story and throw in some twists. The writing is so good that I can easily picture the wonderful oceanfront community of Seaview. As for the story, I was captivated and I enjoyed that I did not always guess right what would happen next, especially towards the ending. What I truly enjoy is how human the characters in the book are, and that the title and the cover may make it seem like a light story, but there are serious events and people aren't always who they seem to be.

A Hundred Summers is a fabulous book and I recommend it warmly! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Let’s call this a solid 3.5... Spanning events in the early and late 1930s, A Hundred Summers tells the story of Lily and Nick, formerly beaus, now estranged after a mysterious breakup, 6 years of separation, and Nick’s marriage to Lily’s former best frenemy. When everyone gets reconnected in Seaview, Rhode Island during the summer of 1938, their lives are forever changed.

Nick is that sort of earnest smooth talker that doesn’t seem to exist in real life. Lily is the sort of bashful witty girl next door (in a well-off sort of way) that many girls see themselves as but never really are. Ultimately, she’s a smoking, drinking doormat and not much more. They’re very much like a Gilmore Girls type couple where Nick is somewhere in between Logan and Dean, but reimagined in the early 20th century and Lily is that do anything to please type who is pretty much devoid of personality. Her best friend Budgie (because of course that’s her name) is that spoiled rich girl that we all love to hate. Each archetypes in their own right, some more fleshed out and real than others.

If I didn’t have the backdrop of anti-Semitism, this book would’ve been very shallow. The first half still was very shallow for me, but I tore through the second half once I finally felt endeared towards Lily in a pitying kind of way. It helps that I was on a boat driving to Rhode Island with nothing else to do at the time.

It’s not my typical type of read but I decided to pick it up just to give Beatriz Williams a shot since everyone kept raving about her books. I’ll say that this is the most I’ve ever enjoyed a book of this kind. I’m not normally into books that one would describe as a beach read but I may be partially converted. The ending, not surprising and the post-hurricane aftermath, too saccharine as another review said, but I’ll just imagine in my head that Nick actually dies in the war because this story could use a dose of realism. If light and fluffy is what I’m in the mood for, then I’ll definitely revisit Beatriz Williams. ( )
  jesmlet | Apr 23, 2019 |
So I finally read this book after I got at least three glowing recommendations. If you ignore for a moment everything that seems illogical in the book, it has a good story, and it is also well written, but the feeling I got from it, is that the book was written to become a movie. Maybe it's just me, and unfortunately, although I tried, I couldn't relate to the feelings that the author tried to convey in the book. ( )
  Ramonremires | Jan 14, 2019 |
I can't quite put my finger on what made me enjoy this book so much. This author writes beautifully.

This book tells the story of Lily at two crucial years in her life, the year she met Nick (1931) and the year he married her former best friend Budgie (1938).

I definitely wondered what caused the breakup between Lily and Nick, they had such a sweet relationship.
I also wondered what led to Nick deciding to marry her former best friend and what type of friend Budgie could be. She not only married the love of Lily's life but she brought him back to the beach town they all frequented and basically flaunted her relationship to Lily while expecting Lily to still be friends with her.

Budgie is a nervy girl but there's something likable about her at times.
Lily is the kind of person who wouldn't hurt a fly.
And Nick is very very conflicted.

Really enjoyable. I got to a certain point, maybe 75 pages or so from the end, where I absolutely couldn't put it down without finishing it.

Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
3.5 ( )
  Dawnssj | Jan 26, 2018 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039916216X, Hardcover)

Memorial Day, 1938: New York socialite Lily Dane has just returned with her family to the idyllic oceanfront community of Seaview, Rhode Island, expecting another placid summer season among the familiar traditions and friendships that sustained her after heartbreak.

That is, until Greenwalds decide to take up residence in Seaview.

Nick and Budgie Greenwald are an unwelcome specter from Lily’s past: her former best friend and her former fiancé, now recently married—an event that set off a wildfire of gossip among the elite of Seaview, who have summered together for generations. Budgie’s arrival to restore her family’s old house puts her once more in the center of the community’s social scene, and she insinuates herself back into Lily's friendship with an overpowering talent for seduction...and an alluring acquaintance from their college days, Yankees pitcher Graham Pendleton. But the ties that bind Lily to Nick are too strong and intricate to ignore, and the two are drawn back into long-buried dreams, despite their uneasy secrets and many emotional obligations.

Under the scorching summer sun, the unexpected truth of Budgie and Nick’s marriage bubbles to the surface, and as a cataclysmic hurricane barrels unseen up the Atlantic and into New England, Lily and Nick must confront an emotional cyclone of their own, which will change their worlds forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:03 -0400)

Returning to an idyllic Rhode Island oceanfront community for the summer of 1938, New York socialite Lily Dane is devastated by the appearance of her newly married ex-fiance and her former best friend.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Beatriz Williams's book A Hundred Summers was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,738,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible