His Black Wings by Astrid Yrigollen

His Black Wings (edition 2012)

by Astrid Yrigollen

Member:ConciseReviews
Title:His Black Wings
Authors:Astrid Yrigollen
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 364 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:sci-fi, dystopian, beauty and the beast remake

His Black Wings by Astrid Yrigollen

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (Jo_Ammons)
    Jo_Ammons: The Main Character is in a similar situation as the lead in Jayne Eyre
    Beauty and the Beast by Jeanne-Marie Le Prince de Beaumont (Jo_Ammons)
    Jo_Ammons: The male lead has black angel wings and is embroiled in a mission with his female lead.
    Ember-X by Jessica Sorensen (ConciseReviews)
    ConciseReviews: main male is an angel of death with black wings, nice romance, think most would enjoy
    Forbidden Mind by Kimberly Kinrade (ConciseReviews)

This is a tough book to review. There were parts of it that I absolutely loved, and then there were things about it that made me want to chuck it out the window. I'm rating it right down the middle as a three but with some editing this could be rated much higher.

This is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast. After an attempted rape at the hands of the mayor's son, Claren must flee her home and try to live on her own. She finds employment with a Mr. Brighton who eventually invites her to his home in the country hoping she will befriend his disfigured son.

The Good:
I loved the setting. The book is set sometime in the far future after a "Great War." There is lots of technological advance, but at the same time, dress and social norms have reverted to those of Victorian society. This was a really interesting mashup of steampunk and dystopia. Although this book is mainly about Claren, there's enough material here for the author to write prequels with even more of a dystopian slant.

I also loved the characters. They were each unique and did develop throughout the story. I especially loved the interplay between Horace and Dekker. Their begrudging friendship and competition was fun to read.

The story was really interesting and held my attention despite the other failings of the book. I never quite knew what to expect and always wanted to know what would happen next.

The Bad:
The point of view changes continually throughout the story and I do not believe it was done intentionally. Within the same paragraph the point of view changes from third person to first. This is jarring, confusing and generally annoying. I would give examples but this happens most often during main plot points and I don't want to give anything away.

I also did not find the dialogue completely believable. While I appreciate the Victorian speech, the interplay between the characters was sometimes corny.

About three-quarters of the way through the book there are two or three chapters of back-story. This caused a major pacing issue for me. Just when the book was working up to its climax, we take a break from the plot to learn about the history of a couple of the characters. While this information is necessary to the resolution of the plot, I think it could have been interwoven throughout the book instead of dumped on the reader all at once.

Overall, I really did enjoy this story. I read it quickly and was entertained throughout. If you are willing to overlook the faults in the point of view and pacing I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the original settings and plot.

Note: I received a copy of this book for free from the author through YA Novel Reader tours in exchange for my review. All opinions are 100% honest and my own.

CherieReads | Sep 23, 2013 |
The first thing that caught my attention was of course the cover. I am a huge fan of the anime and manga genre so this was enough to make me want to read "His black wings". Then of course was this mention: `"Beauty and The Beast" meets "Jane Eyre..."'. There is this trend lately, re-creations of classical stories or fairytales and I am always curious to see what an author could create. Unfortunately I haven't got the chance to read "Jane Eyre", but I could definitely see the influence of the "Beauty and the Beast" in anime style and I simply loved it, from the beginning `till the end.

Claren was a pleasant character to follow. She was not totally helpless and she could make some smart decisions when needed. The thing that I loved the most was the loved story, more exactly the slow evolution of the relationship. Shortly said, this book was not rushed, it took time to show the natural evolution of the relationships between characters. I am sorry, but I am sick of instant love stories and this was a breath of fresh air.

The world was incredible detailed described and thanks to the writing style, it was easy to imagine myself in the middle of the landscapes. ( )
  AminaBlack | Feb 3, 2013 |
It's not often that I am pleasantly surprised. I read the first couple of chapters in a book and I usually know what tempo the rest of it is going to take.While the first few pages were detailed,laying ground work and what not, I thought that perhaps the rest of the book was going to be wordy, Victorian, flowery speech up the hoohoo. Now at the end of this book I have one things to say. Astrid Yrigollen has left me lusting for more.Set in the future sometimes yet drawing upon the past with a revival of Victorian dress,manner and speech I was in heaven.Cast aside the cover or the few editing errors and let yourself fall in love with the world, people and story that Yrigollen has created.Awesome effort for a self pubbed and not a moment was wasted reading it.I can easily see this book being made into a movie with some hunky babe as Etrigan. ( )
  batpunch | Jan 29, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this remake of Beauty and the Beast. Though I don’t see Erigan as a “beast” at all. He is very handsome, and to me wings are not something to make him a beast. Though I find the cover misleading, and really don’t even like it, too cartoonish to me, but that’s me. His wings do not have feathers, more membrane like a bat, so like I said misleading.

Over all it was a sweet story. I at first was confused; not knowing what time in history this is to take place. Seemed like Victorian London to me, but it’s not, it’s a dystopian era, but like went backwards, were women went to finishing school, and had to be “courted” I just do not like anything in that type of time set. I am too much of a female who likes freedom of choice. Not to bend to a man’s will. Anyway, so for a bit it was hard to connect with the main character Claren, but I did, finally.

We have some technology in this, or hints of it, that’s what tipped me off that it was not the past, but future we were in.

Overall I found this story enchanting. It’s a fun fairytale with a paranormal/sci-fi twist, and I loved it.
I had to get used to the type of speak they do (all proper and old fashioned) and I did, but it felt strange at times a lot like reading one of those classics (which I do not like, lol)

I do recommend this book, as it’s a sweet interesting tale. You won’t be sorry. Look past the cartoonish cover, and try it. Don’t pass it up based on the cover, like I did, or would have, had I not took a second look for the book tour. Honestly, if I seen it at the store or online to read, even if free, I would have passed on it, as
I do base lots on the cover, just to stop me to read about it. So don’t do what I would have, check it out. Its worth it.

I received a copy of this book from the author for the book tour, for my honest review.
http://concisebookreviewsbymichelle.blogspot.com/ ( )
1 vote ConciseReviews | Jan 1, 2013 |
“His Black Wings” has been called “Beauty and the Beast” Meets “Jane Eyre”.

(Some of the author’s previous work includes the children’s publications “What Do Fish Do for Fun?” and “The Mysterious Pootkins”, among others, as well as Young Adult genre books such as “The Mosswoods” [Nos. 1 and 2], “The Wind Demon” and more.)

As the only child of wealthy parents who inherited the legacy of a multi-millionaire chemist, Claren Maidstone should have ended up living on Easy Street.

At the age of 20, however, her world came crashing down when both her mother and father were killed in a boating accident.

Then, mere days after their funerals, the well-connected suitor her parents wanted for her -- but who had always filled Claren with disgust for his crude and sadistic personality -- attempted to rape her in her parents’ house.

With the help of her loyal wolfhound, she managed to fight him off but, in the process, he was severely injured. Claren knew that his barely controlled vengeful personality -- coupled with the fact that he was the son of the town’s mayor -- boded ill for any chances she might have of obtaining justice from a local court.

That’s when she decided to run…

Lodging in boarding houses and keeping an extremely low profile, Claren realizes that -- effectively cut off from access to her family’s fortune -- she must find some way to support herself financially if she is to survive.

Coming across a want-ad in a local newspaper for a live-in personal assistant to a mysterious, wealthy, older man with a large, secluded estate, it’s as if her unspoken prayers have been answered when she is immediately hired for the job.

What Claren doesn’t know is that her new employer is hiding the fact that there is another resident of the estate -- one that isn’t like anyone else that Claren has ever known, or even heard of, before…

He is her employer’s son. A young man some might call “deformed” and others might call “supernatural”. You see, this shy, young man has wings -- large, black, bat-like wings -- wings that allow him to travel alone at night about the countryside but that effectively also cut him off from all outside contact during the day.

And the relationship between this strange, young man with the black wings and this desperate young woman on the run from the law will eventually grow into a close friendship but, there is something else that her employer is hiding from Claren…

This is a much darker, much more potentially harmful secret that concerns Claren’s family and her place in it as the last living member of her bloodline…

“His Black Wings” is suitable fare for teenagers and young adults -- although adults with a liking for the fantasy genre may find it a desirable read, as well.

It is available for purchase from Amazon.com

-- in Kindle format at http://amzn.to/121UiPb and

-- in paperback format at http://amzn.to/TOtOxO.

You may also enjoy visiting the book’s dedicated website at http://www.hisblackwings.com where order info can be found, as well. ( )
1 vote Jo_Ammons | Dec 30, 2012 |

Astrid Yrigollen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,336,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible