Fifty Bales of Hay by Rachael Treasure

Fifty Bales of Hay (edition 2013)

by Rachael Treasure

92950,433 (4)None
Member:shelleyraec
Title:Fifty Bales of Hay
Authors:Rachael Treasure
Info:Sydney : HarperCollins Publishers Australia, 2013.
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Australian author, romance, erotica, short stories

Fifty Bales of Hay by Rachael Treasure

If you’re thinking that the title sounds familiar to the ‘other’ Fifty-type book that blazed through 2012, you’re right – nearly. This is a steamy book, but the only ropes you’ll find will be on the back of a farm ute or down the shed. Welcome to the world of agricultural erotica – i.e. getting down and dirty in the Australian bush. This book is a collection of 12 short stories all by rural romance author, Rachael Treasure.

Below you stop reading, thinking that you’ve read everything there is to know on the latest hot genre, read this: the bush settings in this book are incredibly diverse, celebrating all the different types of agriculture that we can do in the Aussie country. So you might learn something about rounding up cattle, shearing, wool classing or even berry farming. Even though I have lived in rural Australia for several years, this book got me thinking about how there’s more than wheat and sheep to Aussie farming. Plus, Treasure writes the kind of story that will have you looking completely differently at road trains and ride on lawnmowers from now on!

There were several things I enjoyed about this book. One, that it’s easy to pick up and read a story and then go back to work, cook dinner or do whatever demands your attention more. Two, Treasure is efficient with plot and characterisation so that each story is more than a bonkfest! You get to know something about the main character and her motivations. Three, the country settings are diverse but all well characterised.

Treasure is also rather cheeky in mentioning on several occasions about a raunchy book that ‘everyone’ is reading, having bought it in the supermarket or elsewhere. This tribute to the infamous Fifty Shades of Grey made me laugh, as did the ladies taking the bull by the horns after reading said book to bring lust back into their lovelives. The women portrayed in this book are all ages too – from young jillaroos to widowed boss cockies. I can’t say that I’ve read erotica before where the participants are in their 50s, but hey, everyone’s entitled!

I wouldn’t pick this book up if you were after down and dirty erotica, but it’s a book that’s not too dirty (especially after the story ‘Car Wash’), light and a little steamy. It’s a light-hearted read.

Thank you to The Reading Room for providing me with this book – the antithesis to a hard week at work!

http://samstillreading.wordpress.com ( )
  birdsam0610 | Jan 28, 2013 |
Rachael Treasure is a well known Australian author of rural fiction and Fifty Bales of Hay is an entertaining collection of 12 sexy short stories between consenting adults on the land.

‘Lust in the dust’ says the blurb, and in Droving Done and Milking Time the dust is certainly stirred. In The Crutching and Cattle Crush familiar farming equipment is re purposed in inventive ways.

What I particularly loved about this collection is that the women and men featured range widely in age from new adult through to couples in mid life and beyond. I also really appreciated that generally the women take charge of their sexuality and their pleasure, from cougar Krissy in Branded to lonely long haul driver, Celia, in Truck Wash.

There is plenty of Sex in Fifty Bales of Hay – I don’t think it’s quite explicit enough to be termed erotica but for most readers I think the difference would be immaterial.
The references to EL James Fifty Shades of Grey are slyly amusing and I was glad to find there is no attempt to imitate the novel’s story or characters.

Fifty Bales of Hay is an entertaining read, provocative, amusing and even tender. My husband has been trying to convince me to let him buy a ride on mower, I might just let him now ( )
  shelleyraec | Jan 13, 2013 |

Come have a roll in the hay with one of Australia′s leading rural fiction authors, Rachael Treasure, in her romping, rollicking first-ever collection of romantic stories, celebrating the sexy side of rural life. Guaranteed to get your tractor revving, FIFTY BALES OF HAY is an honest and imaginative exploration of everyday men and women getting down and dirty on the land.

From the dairy shed to the Royal Agricultural Show pavilion, Treasure′s cheeky satirical humour and wicked imagination offers up a dozen fun-filled, and sometimes poignant, tales of dust and lust. This collection will have you clamoring for a stock whip, a saddle and a jackaroo.

Come have a roll in the hay with one of Australia's leading rural fiction authors, Rachael Treasure, in her romping, rollicking first-ever collection of Agricultural Erotica. Guaranteed to get your tractor revving, FIFTY BALES OF HAY is an honest and imaginative exploration of everyday men and women getting down and dirty on the land. From the dairy shed to the Royal Agricultural show pavilion, Treasure's cheeky satirical humour and wicked imagination offers up a dozen fun-filled, and sometimes poignant, tales of dust and lust. This collection will have you clamoring for a stock whip, a saddle and a cowboy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,620,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible