Fuck and Destroy by John Christy

Fuck and Destroy (edition 2012)

by John Christy

741,138,814 (3.8)None
Member:Sugar_Diva
Title:Fuck and Destroy
Authors:John Christy
Info:amphetamine press (2012), Paperback, 322 pages

Fuck and Destroy by John Christy

abuse (1) bipolar (1) dominance (1) drugs (1) human spirit (1) ignorance (1) love (1) loyalty (1) lust (1) mental health (1) sex (1) sexual (1)

I received this book from Library Thing to read and provide and honest review. This is a book that is different from all the mysteries and thrillers I normally read. The title definitely caught my attention. Up front, I want to say that I am no prude and not some kind of zealot who preaches about morality all the time. I found this book filled with nasty language and images (and not very well done--have read many more that were far better), and saw no real need for all this. The book could easily have been written without it and been just the same--and it may have appealed to a wider audience. After all, isn't getting a book out there that everyone is clamoring to read and buying off the shelves the goal of authors? I guess it is, unless the author is independently wealthy or just are one of the few who really doesn't care about money. Anyway, this book is the story of Avril (or April) and John who meet one day and begin a relationship. However, Avril is not exactly who she seems, but is a sort of oversexed person who has no compunction about going from one bout of intercourse to another and who doesn't seem to think there is much to life besides giving in and letting men do whatever they want. I never really got much of a feeling about John in the book, though I kept hoping for something. I kept reading this book, trying to find the great political insight some reviewers spoke of but never really found much besides a rambling tale by someone who just had to write a novel, even though he had no real ideas of a plot. I never saw the sensitive man who could tell the story of rape as if he was a woman that many reviewers mentioned. I never saw the political treatise on life in Cuba or anywhere else. I read the author's bio on Goodreads, and it too reads like some sort of mixed up tale. If he wrote that, I can understand how the same person wrote this novel. If you enjoy reading about someone who gets raped all the time or if you enjoy reading about someone who is not who he/she says they are but may be someone much darker, then this is a good book for you. I am not sure this book will entice me to read anything else by the author. ( )
  KMT01 | Apr 12, 2013 |
this book was a good read the characters were well developed I got an insite into the life of a bipolar experience with this complex illness.The book is very graphic sexualy and straight to the point. the main character April suffers a hard life of torcure .loss and abuse mainly due to bipolar diorder.It is a sad lesson she learns over and over things seem to turn around for her when she meets and falls in love with John things good things never seem to last for April.I would recommend this book and will reread it in the future. ( )
  EffixiousSundown | Feb 8, 2013 |
told in 3 perspectives ( Avril/April , John & Mel/Melinda)

i thought it was a pretty good story,although at times i found it hard to follow the chapters as told from April's view.

I wanted to read more about what would happen next , the way the book ended could lead to a sequel. ( )
  carramel0705 | Jan 5, 2013 |
I was excited to read this book and I wasn't let down. I really enjoyed it.
Normally, I'm not a fan of books that jump from one character to another, but the way this was written, I was okay with it. It flowed nicely into the change. I got so that I could predict who I was going to follow in the next chapter.
I go so sucked into the story that I read right through meals. I found the characters were very well developed and so easy to understand. I wanted to know everything that happened to Avril and I completely related to Mel. Her emotions felt so feel, even though Avril's the main focus, I found I really wanted to know what Mel was up to.
Avril, although damaged as she is, I saw her not only as the damaged young girl, but as the dark, kinky side that almost every woman has.
Really, the only downside of the book was the excerpts from other sources near the end of the story. I sort of skimmed over them. I'm sure they were there for a reason, but I just didn't see it.
All in all, I throughly enjoyed it and have already recommended it to family and friends. I hope to read more from John. ( )
  Sugar_Diva | Jan 3, 2013 |

John is the perfect representative of his generation: undersexed, disinterested, bored, and young. The appearance of the brilliantly unstable Avril brings a welcome upheaval to John’s life, but beneath his unassuming demeanor there lies a monster of greed, desire, and indecision. Could a lifetime of grasping desperation prevent a young man from enjoying the smallest modicum of warmth and love?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:00 -0400)

John Christy is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,469,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible